Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Last few posts

I hope he starts in NHL.

Because if he does it means that Chia and McLelland thinks he should, and I am very inclined to trust their judgement.

At the end of the day though I think the best bet is that he does spend some time in the AHL during the year. That being said, I'd be very surprised if he is not able to earn at least 30-40 games with the Oilers over the course of the season.

I really hope both Draisatl and Nurse spend the whole year in the AHL.

Maybe they could play in the NHL, maybe they can't but to keep them down that extra year so that when they make it, they make it emphatically... Wow, what a change that would be from the Lowe years.

I disagree a little bit. Nurse I think is too good, unless we sign 3 or 4 top 6 defensemen this off season, we would benefit from his help. Sure give him some time in the AHL maybe to acclimatize him to the pro game... but if his playoff stint was any indication, he might already be too good for the AHL. 4 points in 4 games with a +3 on a losing team. To me, his numbers scream top pairing NHLer, and there's no reason to keep a guy like that off the roster into his 20s.

Draisaitl on the otherhand... I can see there's a mountain of potential there. But I'd like to see him achieve his junior numbers in pro. And if that means starting out in a lower league, let's do that and bring him up once he shows he can do it. And if that means a full season, then a full season it is... there is beginning to be a bit of a log jam at center anyways.

I tried to watch as much memorial cup and WHL playoffs as I could, and as a big Kelowna Rockets fan, I think the Kelowna team that lost to Quebec was just rusty. Then they looked a bit tentative for the first 35 minutes of the Oshawa game. If I could bet money on a 7 game series between Oshawa and Kelowna, I'd go with Kelowna. Oshawa plays a very good team, and has some decent threats, but I don't think their goal-scoring threat is on the same level as Kelowna. They did a good job of shutting down single threat teams like the Erie Otters, and did an excellent job neutralizing Kelowna's top line in their first meeting in the Memorial Cup but Kelowna just has so much more depth than Erie. I think Kelowna will make the necessary adjustments and take the cup.

I have a hard time seeing Nurse play the whole year in the AHL. From everything I've seen of him recently, he's just too good for that. Assuming he comes in at like 215 and plays the way he's capable of playing, you'd have to think he plays half in each league at worst.

This could change if Chiarelli magically reworks the d-corps to a point where there's just no room for Nurse yet, but that's pretty hard to see. Especially with injures and such where Nurse would probably be the #1 D callup.

That would mean that Nurse only puts on 3 pounds in the 5 months between seasons while I would be fine with that I am certainly hoping it would be closer to 5-6 pounds if he possibly can which would sit him at 217-18 so he would be a pretty big guy already.

He's a listed 205 and I'm hoping he can get to 215.

He had an interview before the Erie otters series where he told Stauffer or whoever it was that he was currently weighing in at 212.

Edit: we have had a full discussion about his weight when he said that in one of the Nurse threads I believe and what we think his ideal weight to be.
Edit2: http://www.saultstar.com/2015/04/22/nurse-taking-his-role-very-seriously That is the link outlining his weight.

Last edited:

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Well whomever wins the tie-breaker tonight will face Kelowna on Friday, with the winning team having to play their 3rd game in 3 nights. Kelowna really should be able to take advantage.

Comic Book Guy*

I hope that Draisaitl wins Memorial Cup MVP. The trade proposals will be fun to watch.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Quebec it is. Really hope Leon and the Rockets can take advantage of this being Quebec's third game in three days.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Watched the Rimouski/Quebec game. Really scrambly and lots of jitters from both teams, but Quebec had better netminding and some timely offense when they needed it.

I thought Marco Roy had his best game of the tournament. Nothing too flashy, just very solid in all 3 zones and chipped in with a goal that would've made Ethan Moreau proud, powering in off the right wing, knocking back both the goalie and defender and literally shoving the puck in the net by pure will. He had lots of ice time in the 3rd period, including some key defensive shifts in the final 5 minutes when Rimouski had their goalie pulled for the entire time. It was probably too little too late for him to earn a contract offer, but it was still a good showing by him.

He was certainly more effective than his two Russian linemates, Timashov and Tkachev. The two tiny Russian terrors were OK in the first period where they had some good forays up the ice, but they weren't able to fight through Rimouski's tight defense all that well, and as the game went on you noticed them less and less. Tkachev had an especially bad giveaway in the neutral zone in the 2nd period that directly led to Rimouski's tying goal to make it 2-2, and he didn't help himself by all but coasting back to the defensive zone to "help" out after his miscue.

After the goal he looked quite dejected, looking downcast and repeatedly shaking his head. It didn't sound like his demeanour went over that well with his coach either, as in the 3rd period other than one PP where he was on the 2nd unit, he was completely benched for the entire period, his place with Timashov and Roy replaced by a 16 year old rookie. The few times the camera was on him on the bench, while his teammates were excited and talking with each other, Tkachev looked like he wasn't in on the party. He looked disgusted with his predicament.

It'll be very interesting to see where he slots in tomorrow.

Also, you'll be happy to know that both MacT and Lower were in attendance at the game, and the Sportsnet guys even interviewed an ancient-looking Lowe during the 2nd intermission, being a former Quebec Rampart and all that.

When they prodded Lowe about Tkachev's play and how the Oilers had tried to sign him, Lowe made a joking comment about how Tkachev was guilty of a couple of turnovers during that period, but everyone knew he was a dynamic offensive player and that he hoped Tkachev will have a productive career "somewhere in North America".

I could be guilty of reading too much into things, but I got the impression that Lowe wasn't President of the Vladimir Tkachev Fan Club.

They also asked Lowe about McDavid and had some questions about the new arenas in Quebec City and Edmonton, Lowe didn't say too much out of the ordinary...would love to have McDavid if they select him (lol), and while he thought Quebec's new arena was looking great and had a bunch of bells and whistles, he made a point of saying Rogers Place was going to be the "best in the world" and was going to have even MORE bells and whistles.

On the whole, it was a fun game to watch. I don't give Quebec much hope against Kelowna though, as long as Kelowna plays close to their potential I think Quebec gets run out of the rink.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Quebec it is. Really hope Leon and the Rockets can take advantage of this being Quebec's third game in three days.

That will work in their favor plus I think Kelowna is just the superior team. Single elimination unfortunately can go any way but the odds have to be in favor of Kelowna.

Kelowna will be the more rested team, the better team, they hopefully have shook off the rust from their travel/time change/long time in between games and will be ready to rip the Ramparts apart. The only reason they beat Kelowna before was due to all those things and terrible officiating.

Really hope the refs that called that travesty of a game the first time these two teams met have been dealt with. I was impressed that after numerous complaints the QMJHL refs in question we not involved in the latest game but I suppose that could have just been the rotation.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
I'm sure he can handle it. He's a professional.

rim-shot-johnny-utahthumbnail.jpg

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I don't think anyone has really put a stamp on MVP yet, it's been a fairly close tournament even though Oshawa won all 3 of their games.

I think if Cassels (sp?) can shut down Leon again (if Kelowna wins tomorrow) while potting some more points while his team goes undefeated he will get it. Or Applebee if he stands on his head again.

But I suppose Leon could go right back to beast mode and win it as well so your right, it is too soon to be really discussing it. Merkley certainly has been good as well.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
Watched the Rimouski/Quebec game. Really scrambly and lots of jitters from both teams, but Quebec had better netminding and some timely offense when they needed it.

I thought Marco Roy had his best game of the tournament. Nothing too flashy, just very solid in all 3 zones and chipped in with a goal that would've made Ethan Moreau proud, powering in off the right wing, knocking back both the goalie and defender and literally shoving the puck in the net by pure will. He had lots of ice time in the 3rd period, including some key defensive shifts in the final 5 minutes when Rimouski had their goalie pulled for the entire time. It was probably too little too late for him to earn a contract offer, but it was still a good showing by him.

He was certainly more effective than his two Russian linemates, Timashov and Tkachev. The two tiny Russian terrors were OK in the first period where they had some good forays up the ice, but they weren't able to fight through Rimouski's tight defense all that well, and as the game went on you noticed them less and less. Tkachev had an especially bad giveaway in the neutral zone in the 2nd period that directly led to Rimouski's tying goal to make it 2-2, and he didn't help himself by all but coasting back to the defensive zone to "help" out after his miscue.

After the goal he looked quite dejected, looking downcast and repeatedly shaking his head. It didn't sound like his demeanour went over that well with his coach either, as in the 3rd period other than one PP where he was on the 2nd unit, he was completely benched for the entire period, his place with Timashov and Roy replaced by a 16 year old rookie. The few times the camera was on him on the bench, while his teammates were excited and talking with each other, Tkachev looked like he wasn't in on the party. He looked disgusted with his predicament.

It'll be very interesting to see where he slots in tomorrow.

Also, you'll be happy to know that both MacT and Lower were in attendance at the game, and the Sportsnet guys even interviewed an ancient-looking Lowe during the 2nd intermission, being a former Quebec Rampart and all that.

When they prodded Lowe about Tkachev's play and how the Oilers had tried to sign him, Lowe made a joking comment about how Tkachev was guilty of a couple of turnovers during that period, but everyone knew he was a dynamic offensive player and that he hoped Tkachev will have a productive career "somewhere in North America".

I could be guilty of reading too much into things, but I got the impression that Lowe wasn't President of the Vladimir Tkachev Fan Club.

They also asked Lowe about McDavid and had some questions about the new arenas in Quebec City and Edmonton, Lowe didn't say too much out of the ordinary...would love to have McDavid if they select him (lol), and while he thought Quebec's new arena was looking great and had a bunch of bells and whistles, he made a point of saying Rogers Place was going to be the "best in the world" and was going to have even MORE bells and whistles.

On the whole, it was a fun game to watch. I don't give Quebec much hope against Kelowna though, as long as Kelowna plays close to their potential I think Quebec gets run out of the rink.

Decent breakdown but a couple things to nitpick:

1. They aren't Russian terrors as Timashov is not Russian. Hoping we can nab him in the 4th.

2. Tkachev is brutal at losing the puck. Even when he was at our camp he was a giveaway machine and was easily shoved off the puck. Guess that's what happens when you are 150 lbs. Elite skill but unfortunately nothing else not even production.

3. You don't give Quebec much hope even though they've already beat Kelowna in the memorial cup this year?

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Decent breakdown but a couple things to nitpick:

1. They aren't Russian terrors as Timashov is not Russian. Hoping we can nab him in the 4th.

2. Tkachev is brutal at losing the puck. Even when he was at our camp he was a giveaway machine and was easily shoved off the puck. Guess that's what happens when you are 150 lbs. Elite skill but unfortunately nothing else not even production.

3. You don't give Quebec much hope even though they've already beat Kelowna in the memorial cup this year?

I don't like to make excuses but there were certainly many of them for that loss. Terrible officiating being the biggest, giving Leon a ten minute misconduct for a bit of verbal jousting with a scrub after the second period ended is straight up nonsense.

Plus timezones, travel, long layoff between, as the game went on Kelowna was clearly the better team.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
When was the last time a top 3 pick spent his entire second post-draft season in the AHL?

I took a look back and could hardly find anyone over the last 25 years. Kyle Turris spent his 3rd post-draft season in AHL, I guess that could count. Otherwise no one, a handful stayed in junior for two seasons instead of only one, that could count too I guess, but we are still talking about very few.

I get that people are worried about him after seeing him struggle here during the first part of the season, but I really don't get why people want to pencil him to the AHL for a full season.

It used to be that we ruined players by rushing them "because Oilers", now it seems as half of the fans-base has done a 360 and wants to do the exact opposite, to the extreme... I just don't get the reasoning. Do you think he is one of the worst 3rd overall to come around over the last 25 years?

I am not taking anything for granted, but I really think that (bar injury) it would be a big disappointment if Draisaitl doesn't earn at least 30-40 games in the NHL this season.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Draisaitl will get his chance with possible injuries to players in top 9. There is no way he isnt up on the big club past trade deadline. I expect Purcell to be traded by then.

Purcell signed for one more year gives Oilers the chance to marinate Drai in AHL
same with Nikitin and Nurse. Starting in AHL is not a bad thing.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Draisaitl will get his chance with possible injuries to players in top 9. There is no way he isnt up on the big club past trade deadline. I expect Purcell to be traded by then.

Purcell signed for one more year gives Oilers the chance to marinate Drai in AHL
same with Nikitin and Nurse. Starting in AHL is not a bad thing.

If Purcell is still with this club this season and LD is showing that he can play it will be only a matter of time before Purcell goes on waivers and is off to OKC.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
If Purcell is still with this club this season and LD is showing that he can play it will be only a matter of time before Purcell goes on waivers and is off to OKC.

ideally yes but then the 'veteran presence' comes into the play.

Purcell-Lander-Yakupov vs Draisaitl-Lander-Yakupov as 3rd line

Considering the youth we have in top 5 will make Purcell more attractive than another rookie. Everyone would love Nurse and Drai on the big club but I will be happy with whatever Chia and McLellan decide.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
ideally yes but then the 'veteran presence' comes into the play.

Purcell-Lander-Yakupov vs Draisaitl-Lander-Yakupov as 3rd line

Considering the youth we have in top 5 will make Purcell more attractive than another rookie. Everyone would love Nurse and Drai on the big club but I will be happy with whatever Chia and McLellan decide.

I'm more just suggesting that if LD is in the minors doing quite well that it will only be a matter of time before the team will have no choice but to put him in and take Purcell out.

Then again at this point the makeup of the team could be quite different than what we have could have going into the year.

McLotto 97

Believe in 13.5%
Mar 14, 2011
Edmonton
Simply put. PC should have vet NHLers in all positions. If LD and DN play there way on to the team....so be it, make some trades. If not, start them in AHL until they are ready.

Except of course for McDavid. :)

Dec 3, 2005
Vancouver BC
I know Drai is huge and that effects his skating speed/acceleration, but the more I watch him, the more I wonder how his game will translate into the NHL. His passing skills, anticipation, puck protection, and vision are sublime, but when you need him to catch someone, or get in on a scrum from his usual anchor point on the outside wings, that part of his game seems non-existent. I don't see him doing much but maybe I just can't see what he's doing in the big picture. Anyway, if anyone has a decent reply I'd really appreciate it.

Also, I believe if he is developed nicely (skating/skating/skating) and eventually put on the 3rd line centering position, he will thrive due to shorter minutes which will help his recovery and overall effectiveness. I don't know what I'm missing, but in the NHL can someone mention a comparable with similar skating speeds/skill-sets? I think he's amazing, but I also realize he's playing against weaker competition who will cover up his flaws.

Here's a summary of his work so far in the Memorial Cup:

Oshawa game is not up yet.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
I know Drai is huge and that effects his skating speed/acceleration, but the more I watch him, the more I wonder how his game will translate into the NHL. His passing skills, anticipation, puck protection, and vision are sublime, but when you need him to catch someone, or get in on a scrum from his usual anchor point on the outside wings, that part of his game seems non-existent. I don't see him doing much but maybe I just can't see what he's doing in the big picture. Anyway, if anyone has a decent reply I'd really appreciate it.

Also, I believe if he is developed nicely (skating/skating/skating) and eventually put on the 3rd line centering position, he will thrive due to shorter minutes which will help his recovery and overall effectiveness. I don't know what I'm missing, but in the NHL can someone mention a comparable with similar skating speeds/skill-sets? I think he's amazing, but I also realize he's playing against weaker competition who will cover up his flaws.

Here's a summary of his work so far in the Memorial Cup:

Oshawa game is not up yet.

Jason Allison?

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Leon's skating is fine at the NHL level. We have seen him there and he is not too slow/agile. He was rarely behind the play. He just always chooses to slow the game down and to be great at the NHL he will just have to do that a bit less. Cause he won't get the space he wants otherwise.

Sure he can improve his skating but by no means is it going to hurt him in the NHL.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
omg I think that same ref who gave the misconduct to Drai in that one game is doing this one, a home ref with the home team playing. jeezus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad