Prospect Info: Leon Draisaitl: Memorial Cup MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
The way they run Bakersfield is so dumb. First powerplay is entirely AHL-vets + Draisaitl. Amazing almost every other organization realizes that you need to play your prospects big minutes so they can score but the Oilers are totally fine letting 25-29 year olds play the top minutes while their prospects fill out the bottom 6.

I'd tell Gerry Fleming play the god damn prospects and not Brad Hunt/Matt Ford or you can find somewhere else to coach. Winning doesn't mean anything in the AHL because anybody can sign a bunch of vets and win. You're just killing your prospects value.

Same with Nurse, who cares if Brad Hunt can get over a ppg playing there. Put Nurse on the powerplay and see what he can do.

There has to be a balance between playing vets and prospects, and while I agree that it appears Fleming could be doing a better job of getting the young guys out there, isn't it more important that the prospect earns the opportunity vs having it gifted?

It's still early and maybe Fleming's approach is part of a season long plan where he's challenging the young guys to prove they're a better option than the vets. If the first line/PP still looks the same after game 40, I'll be a bit more concerned.

Giggleplex

May 18, 2015
Problem is that for the most part our prospects outside of Nurse and Draisaitl, just aren't that good. If they were good enough they'd be playing above AHL vets. But they aren't.

They're not good enough because they get enough ice time to develop.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
They're not good enough because they get enough ice time to develop.

Like last season with Moroz. They were playing on the 4th line and barely giving him ice time when he could have gotten prime minutes in the ECHL. Any of the high draft pick prospects should be getting lots of minutes to develop.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Not worried about Drai. I think he was very disappointed getting sent down after having a pretty strong camp, not to mention playing a lot of games last year and then finishing of the season on a high note in Kelowna. Many good NHL prospects who get sent down to AHL/juniors have an initial period where they don't score much and I think that's mostly due to them being disappointed not having made their NHL team and it takes some time to get over it and also to adjust their playing style to the league they're in so it takes some time for them to get going again. It's just natural. I think Drai will go into beast mode somewhere half-way through the season. He is a very determined kid and once he gets over the disappointment and adjusts to AHL he is going to start potting points on a consistent basis. I'd expect him to get recalled at some point in 2016 but even if he doesn't I'm fairly sure he'll be a full-time NHLer by next season. No reason to freak out lol.

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
There has to be a balance between playing vets and prospects, and while I agree that it appears Fleming could be doing a better job of getting the young guys out there, isn't it more important that the prospect earns the opportunity vs having it gifted?

It's still early and maybe Fleming's approach is part of a season long plan where he's challenging the young guys to prove they're a better option than the vets. If the first line/PP still looks the same after game 40, I'll be a bit more concerned.

Because a rookie/second year (19-21 year old) prospect is never going to beat an 25-30 year old AHL veteran that's put up a point per game. It's not gifting it because who cares if Matt Ford or Brad Hunt get big minutes? How does that help the organization?

Joey LaLeggia is obviously not as good AHL defensemen as Brad Hunt, but that's not the point because playing Hunt does absolutely nothing for the Oilers. Playing LaLeggia in big minutes and on the powerplay allows a prospect to develop his skills and potentially gives the Oilers a puck moving defensemen in the future. Hunt can lead the league in defensemen scoring but he's just taking away extremely valuable ice time from prospects. Nikitin just makes that even worse. Why is he even on the powerplay?

The young guys need to be put in big roles because how are they going to develop playing on the third and fourth lines with limited power play time?

The AHL is a development league, not a play Hamilton, Ford, Miller, Hunt the entire game and get a nice coaching record league. The Oilers need to make this a priority or else find a coach who will play them or pre approve lines because this has being going on for years.

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
I still havent seen a whole game yet this year, just been too busy with moving plus the Jays playoff run, my pvr drops recordings now, and then last night taking my kid out for Halloween.

I really wanted to see LD play this year tho, he was just incredible in the mem cup game and I wanted to see him play in the NHL but I have only seen a few shifts.

I must have missed his two best games now lol. 5 points? Craziness. How well did he really play in those games? Was he good enough that the points were guaranteed to come or was it just a case of right time and place?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Bit of both. He is playing well but he also seems to have the ability to see directly into Hall's brain. Goes to the right areas and has been getting rewarded.

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
Small sample size warning

Leon Draisaitl leads the nhl with 1.67 points per game. 4 goals and 6 assists (10 points) in 6 games.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Beastly backcheck to start the GWG play.

He's working hard and using his big frame to his advantage. One of the few players on this team who is actually pretty good along the boards. I think that has really been over looked since he's been with Hall and Nuge. It helps them out alot.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
The big difference I see between 2014 Drai and 2015 Drai is that last year, Draisaitl would try to slow down the pace of the game to his level, be static and try to channel his inner Thornton.

This year, he's forcing himself to move his feet at all times (or maybe it's because he's on Hall's line so it forces him to move his feet because Hall's such a cannonball out there) so he's picking up his own pace to match the game speed.

When he's moving and handling the puck like he does, he's extremely hard to handle. Here's hoping he can keep this work rate up.

All I know is that if Bennett had 10 points in 6 games, we'd be hearing to no end of his greatness and impending Godhood.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
The big difference I see between 2014 Drai and 2015 Drai is that last year, Draisaitl would try to slow down the pace of the game to his level, be static and try to channel his inner Thornton.

This year, he's forcing himself to move his feet at all times (or maybe it's because he's on Hall's line so it forces him to move his feet because Hall's such a cannonball out there) so he's picking up his own pace to match the game speed.

When he's moving and handling the puck like he does, he's extremely hard to handle. Here's hoping he can keep this work rate up.

All I know is that if Bennett had 10 points in 6 games, we'd be hearing to no end of his greatness and impending Godhood.

Agreed on both accounts. LDs speed has been good. Hes been able to keep up with RNH and Hall, which is a very hard task to do. Hes forcing the play alot more, rather than being passive

LD has been underrated for a while on HF, due to playing under Eakins. Hes now serving crow to numerous people

Approved Variety

Nov 14, 2010
Obviously he can't keep up with 1.67, but holy **** is this guy absolutely impressive in 6 games.

He has carved himself out a spot on the "untouchable" list with Hall, Nuge, Nurse, Klef, and McDavid.

Memorial Cup run was the best thing for him, undeniable now.

GermanNuck

Jun 15, 2011
Germany
Hey guys,
quick question about my fellow German countryman:
How was he not named one of the three stars in the last game? I mean he had 1g and 2a.
I haven't watched the game since the oilers are playing in a timezone that doesn't quite fit with my sleep. ;)

Thanks in advance

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Hey guys,
How was he not named one of the three stars in the last game? I mean he had 1g and 2a.
I haven't watched the game since the oilers are playing in a timezone that doesn't quite fit with my sleep. ;)

Thanks in advance

1st or second star always goes to game winning goal scorer. Perry had 2 goals and a beatsly game and hometown favourite, so deserved second star. RNH scored game tying goal and 2 points so a semi deserved 3rd. Toss up between him and RNH

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Hey guys,

Thanks in advance

No idea. Scratching my head on that one. I think the person who picked the stars didn't watch the game.

Leon has been doing well and getting noticed, even over McDavid at times. Hopefully this does not become something that happens too often.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
hell yah.. now I know why he was labelled the German Gretzky :) That poke pass on Nuge's goal last night was awesome. Anybody who says Drai has no speed for the NHL has to see his rush back on that defensive effort in OT which lead to Purcell's goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad