Prospect Info: Leon Draisaitl: Memorial Cup MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnTheBrink

Apr 19, 2013
Airdrie
I still have faith in Leon turning into a good NHLer but stand by my position that we should have traded him this summer when his value was at a all time high coming off his 2 MVP's.

The longer he struggles in the AHL the more his value is gonna take a hit.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
I'm not worried about Leon. It's not like we need him to develop right away.

How fast he makes it to the NHL is totally based on how badly he wants it. Which is exactly how it should be.

If it takes 3 full AHL seasons then so be it. For once, we aren't hurting for centers.

That said, I have a feeling by the end of the season, if he isn't a full time oiler, he'll be one of the top players in the AHL.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
I'm all for speculating on his career after 5 games in the minors. But has anyone watched him play yet, or have any word on how he's played aside from the lack of scoring.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
I still have faith in Leon turning into a good NHLer but stand by my position that we should have traded him this summer when his value was at a all time high coming off his 2 MVP's.

The longer he struggles in the AHL the more his value is gonna take a hit.

His value will not drop vastly. There is no reason to trade him at the moment either unless a great offer comes. Still a valuable asset.

OnTheBrink

Apr 19, 2013
Airdrie
His value will not drop vastly. There is no reason to trade him at the moment either unless a great offer comes. Still a valuable asset.

I am not saying give him away or shop him, but if we could get the right defender for him I would absolutely think about it.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I am not saying give him away or shop him, but if we could get the right defender for him I would absolutely think about it.

I agree, I'd deal him too if the right D that fit our team was offered in a deal involving Draisaitl, as I think we are more than set with McDavid and RNH as our top 2 centres (love both of their 2-way pickpocketing games aside from their obvious skill). That said I'd be in no rush to deal Drai if the right deal isn't there. Some people are opposed to it, but I have no issue running 3 very good centres in the future as I feel it gives you a lot of versatility in running 3 strong scoring lines, or shaking up the lines and playing a centre on the wing when things aren't clicking.

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
The way they run Bakersfield is so dumb. First powerplay is entirely AHL-vets + Draisaitl. Amazing almost every other organization realizes that you need to play your prospects big minutes so they can score but the Oilers are totally fine letting 25-29 year olds play the top minutes while their prospects fill out the bottom 6.

I'd tell Gerry Fleming play the god damn prospects and not Brad Hunt/Matt Ford or you can find somewhere else to coach. Winning doesn't mean anything in the AHL because anybody can sign a bunch of vets and win. You're just killing your prospects value.

Same with Nurse, who cares if Brad Hunt can get over a ppg playing there. Put Nurse on the powerplay and see what he can do.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Everyone seemed to be saying Draisaitl and Nurse are the standouts for that team so far. I'm not worried. As for someone above me claiming winning doesn't matter in the AHL...

Building a winning culture is very important.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
The way they run Bakersfield is so dumb. First powerplay is entirely AHL-vets + Draisaitl. Amazing almost every other organization realizes that you need to play your prospects big minutes so they can score but the Oilers are totally fine letting 25-29 year olds play the top minutes while their prospects fill out the bottom 6.

I'd tell Gerry Fleming play the god damn prospects and not Brad Hunt/Matt Ford or you can find somewhere else to coach. Winning doesn't mean anything in the AHL because anybody can sign a bunch of vets and win. You're just killing your prospects value.

Same with Nurse, who cares if Brad Hunt can get over a ppg playing there. Put Nurse on the powerplay and see what he can do.

Agreed. I don't even see the point of having players over 27 years old playing in the AHL period. Go to europe.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
There is a veteran rule so teams don't load up on 30-40 year old experienced players.

I understand that but I feel like in most cases its time and opportunities being wasted. Its not like these vets are playing 10 min a night in a depth role. They are playing all the important situations. The same situations these young players are being counted on to play at an elite NHL level down the road. I get that you have to earn your ice time but the purpose of sending down our prospects is development. So the coaches should have to live with the mistakes of the young prospects rather that the polished AHL veterans who will never play at the NHL level.

The whole process seems counter productive. The leaders on this team should be Yakimov, Draisatl, Nurse, Broissoit, Pitlick. Not Ford, McRae, Hunt, Scrivens, Hamilton.

/rant as I don't want to derail this thread from the Drasaitl discussion.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Drai had a great game tonight. Looked like his usual self. Good backchecking.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
He will be fine and this is the best route for him obviously. He will be back up with the big team around Christmas I reckon.

Rafters

Aug 10, 2003
Medicine Hat
Visit site
Wonder if part of the thought process to send Drai and Nurse down had to do with the AHL schedule....the California division gets a lot of off days to work on and off the ice...conditioning has always been a question mark for Drai.....all the off days would allow both guys to work on things they need ...at the AHL level like a prospect is suppose to

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
I understand that but I feel like in most cases its time and opportunities being wasted. Its not like these vets are playing 10 min a night in a depth role. They are playing all the important situations. The same situations these young players are being counted on to play at an elite NHL level down the road. I get that you have to earn your ice time but the purpose of sending down our prospects is development. So the coaches should have to live with the mistakes of the young prospects rather that the polished AHL veterans who will never play at the NHL level.

The whole process seems counter productive. The leaders on this team should be Yakimov, Draisatl, Nurse, Broissoit, Pitlick. Not Ford, McRae, Hunt, Scrivens, Hamilton.

Case in point, tonight PP goal by Hamilton, assisted by Nikitin and Hunt. Absolutely pointless.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Problem is that for the most part our prospects outside of Nurse and Draisaitl, just aren't that good. If they were good enough they'd be playing above AHL vets. But they aren't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad