Leo Komarov

Status
Not open for further replies.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
The KHL really did him some good. A couple of seasons ago, he had no interest in the puck, only the taking the man. Now, he's actually starting to make plays with the puck. He's been a pleasant surprise for sure this season, and he came in with a certain level of expectation given his last stay.

They'll be the de facto shutdown line before too long, which will hamper their production.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
? He had 34 points in 52 games as the #1 center on his KHL team last year so I don't think he's underrated offensively. This implies that he was getting the the most icetime on his KHL team with the most talented wingers playing against players that probably couldn't make the NHL. Komo like Clarkson was signed for his intangibles and offense is gravy but can any team thrive with 2 players receiving over 8 mil. per with limited offensive potential. At 28 years old in a couple of months, I don't think it's realistic to expect his game to improve.

utter nonsense.

guess what, Komarov just took another step in his development as a player this season and you didn't even see it. Leo took a big step in his first season with us. He then took an even bigger one with the KHL and Olympic role. And this season, he's elevated his game once again.

his statistics speak for themselves. and he can pass the puck well, and go get it downlow if he has too. This will add up to consistent assists (5 in 7 games, even with Clarkson's misfires).

To go with 11 shots and 29 hits on the peripheral side (not that that's being talked about). I'm saying Komarov gets 35 easily.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
Who cares about point totals, leo will be sporadic in that way, he is an opportunist

His consistency is in his hitting and possession game. I love how his hits can set or change the tone of a game in the leafs favor. He brings the kind of strong work ethic that bleeds into the roster.

Exactly the kind of complementary piece that can elevate the whole team, including a soft top 6

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
Lol..what games are you watching? He's usually good for setting someone up for a chance once every other game or so. He'd have to be playing with Brett Hull to hit 40 points. The guys a self admitted checker. 40 points is a pipe dream:laugh:

Lol. "Setting someone once every other game or so"

You know, that he got 5 assists in 7 games.. not in 10+ ? And happens to be 4th on team scoring?
He might have more points, if had elite line mates. But that's just a never to know thing.

Maybe it's you who should open your eyes, and watch the game more.. As you're missed most of his plays.

MastuhNinks

Apr 30, 2011
The Iron Throne
I could see 30ish points if he stays healthy.

I still don't see much offensive talent in him but he plays with such ferocity and hard-work that the points will come. Komarov is that guy in your hockey league with no skill who somehow still manages to be effective because of sheer determination... Except at the NHL level.

Ace88*

Imagine by some terrifically low chance he turns into a 2way 45-50 point forward. What a godsend that would be.

We need three more komarovs lol. Every team needs and wants a komarov.

hockeygeek

Apr 28, 2010
Lol. "Setting someone once every other game or so"

You know, that he got 5 assists in 7 games.. not in 10+ ? And happens to be 4th on team scoring?
He might have more points, if had elite line mates. But that's just a never to know thing.

Maybe it's you who should open your eyes, and watch the game more.. As you're missed most of his plays.

He's up to 14 points in 49 nhl games. Just trying to keep things on an even keel here. Sorry if I offended. I'm sure he's like the Wayne Gretzky of Estonia but I haven't really noticed his line mates holding him back from becoming an offensive dynamo in the nhl

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
The KHL really did him some good. A couple of seasons ago, he had no interest in the puck, only the taking the man. Now, he's actually starting to make plays with the puck. He's been a pleasant surprise for sure this season, and he came in with a certain level of expectation given his last stay.

They'll be the de facto shutdown line before too long, which will hamper their production.

yep.

he doesn't have a great amount of skill but at least now he's not scared of holding onto the puck and trying to make plays, like he was last time.

now he looks like a legit good third line instead of the good fourth liner he looked like last time.

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
He's up to 14 points in 49 nhl games. Just trying to keep things on an even keel here. Sorry if I offended. I'm sure he's like the Wayne Gretzky of Estonia but I haven't really noticed his line mates holding him back from becoming an offensive dynamo in the nhl

You're right, that there's some overhype going on right now. But saying that there's now way he'll reach 40pts is a little harsh..

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Love Komarov holding Weber's stick on Gardiner's goal while laying on the ice - wohoo - vintage Leo...

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
It seems like he is the heart and soul of the team. Solid work ethic, excellent board play with a terrific cycle game being played by the entire line. Provides lots of energy and is producing some points to go along with this. I actually wouldn't mind to see him where the "C" at some point in the season if he can keep it up.

Ace88*

Yeah i love komarov and am his biggest fan here but him being captain is a full blown joke of an idea.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Love Komarov holding Weber's stick on Gardiner's goal while laying on the ice - wohoo - vintage Leo...

..... I just watched the replay from this game and noticed this, came to see how many other did. That was a very smart play by Komarov. I can't believe Weber wasn't jumping up and down after the goal. He just sort of let it go. That's insane.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
..... I just watched the replay from this game and noticed this, came to see how many other did. That was a very smart play by Komarov. I can't believe Weber wasn't jumping up and down after the goal. He just sort of let it go. That's insane.

I don't know about smart, but it was certainly sneaky, clever, and subtle :laugh:

If that happened against the Leafs a lot of people would probably be raging and be mad against the refs

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
We know he's great for the team, hits anything that moves, and kills penalties and is a fan favourite. My question is how much offence can we expect out of him over a full season?
5 points in 7 games translates to roughly 59 points in an 82 game season.
However in the lockout year he had 9 points in 42 games, which is 18 points over a single season.
Which total is closer to what we should expect of Leo?

In the lockout shortened season, the coach had less faith in him and he was used on the 4th line with the goons.

Then he went to the KHL because he wasn't being used how he wanted and felt he would be better served playing there in order to elevate his game and also be more visible so that he could make the Finnish Olympic roster, which he did.

Now he back, but it was conditional on him being used in a more prominent role.

He's got it with "3rd" pairing minutes, and not too far away from 2nd line minutes lately.

All of that means more opportunity to make a difference. With Santorelli and Winnik playing well, that line will be a difference maker on many nights.

If the Kessel line and JVR lines can be productive, then having a solid 3rd line like Komarov's makes us able to compete with top end teams.

Unfortunately, Kessel and JVR lines aren't consistent enough...

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
I love watching Leonid. He does whatever the hell he wants but somehow doesn't take a penalty/piss off Randy. It's a gift.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
It seems like he is the heart and soul of the team. Solid work ethic, excellent board play with a terrific cycle game being played by the entire line. Provides lots of energy and is producing some points to go along with this. I actually wouldn't mind to see him where the "C" at some point in the season if he can keep it up.

People said the same about Lupul after he came here....

Slow your roll there is no real reason to put that kind of pressure on him. He is doing just fine without it.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Love his game. Never a dull moment with him on the ice. He is a role player, not a core player but he plays his role to such perfection he becomes a key player.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
All the Leafs should give as much effort every night as Leo does as he makes a good role model to what compete level is all about.

Komarov is one of the players who looks like he gives a damn regularly.

Last edited:

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
This is the type of line we've been missing. Good possession numbers, which means they can finish more often in the offensive zone. Good defensively, which means we can trust them with defensive zone starts. And they provide some secondary offence, which helps you win the odd game. And those zone starts/finishes can then help our top two lines by providing them with better zone starts.

This is why we need to restructure our top 6. If we can get one more solid two-way line, even if theyre less skilled, then there should be a trickle-down effect where we have multiple lines pushing the zone starts into the offensive zone, reducing shots against us, and increasing our scoring chances across the board. So even if we dont have two dynamic scoring lines, we could still have three lines contributing offensively.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
This is the type of line we've been missing. Good possession numbers, which means they can finish more often in the offensive zone. Good defensively, which means we can trust them with defensive zone starts. And they provide some secondary offence, which helps you win the odd game. And those zone starts/finishes can then help our top two lines by providing them with better zone starts.

This is why we need to restructure our top 6. If we can get one more solid two-way line, even if theyre less skilled, then there should be a trickle-down effect where we have multiple lines pushing the zone starts into the offensive zone, reducing shots against us, and increasing our scoring chances across the board. So even if we dont have two dynamic scoring lines, we could still have three lines contributing offensively.

That is the likely reason behind Winnik riding shot gun with Lupul and Kadri to increase possession and two-way play.

Komarov is more skilled then Winnik so perhaps it should be Leo that plays in the top 6 instead.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Love his game. Never a dull moment with him on the ice. He is a role player, not a core player but he plays his role to such perfection he becomes a key player.

Actually he is a core player. He is an elite checker and cycler. That is what you need in a core. I said this at the time we let him skate to the KHL and complained all last season about not having Leo.

He is absolutely core material. It's hard for me to find someone who checks like him, doesn't take penalties, puts up some points and cycles like him. He is not a star, but he is someone I would NEVER LET GO.

Add. Drawn at least 5pp as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad