News Article: Lemieux, Burkle exploring possible sale of Penguins

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
its no guarantee that this club will continue to spend to the cap.

I believe they will, at least during the Crosby-Malkin prime years. Once they regress, perhaps.

The lure of the Penguins is mass marketing a very popular and talented team. Not spending to the cap would be like buying a Porsche and blocking off 4th through 6th gear. You want this team in the playoffs and to go as far as possible. Not giving them the assets needed to do that...not smart ownership.

I highly doubt any potential buyers would not be willing to spend to the cap.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
But again, Colligan isn't talking about 5 years from now, he's talking about in the very near future, and that's just a dumb statement to make.

In 5 years, the team doesn't deserve to be any good if they can't come up with a few quality players. They really have no need to be dealing high picks every deadline anymore. Hold onto those and scour for talent in all leagues and sell young players on coming to what is hopefully a winning organization with star players.

Uh why do you assume he is talking about the very near future? I took it as him saying the biggest risk any potential owner would see is the lack of quality depth in the prospect pool. His solution, of course, was ridiculous.

If you are going to buy the Penguins, you need to take a long view of the valuation of the franchise. Sure they are on a high right now, that's why Burkle and Lemieux want to sell. The Penguins have a lot going for them right now but if in 5 years they suck and move to the basement of the league, ticket revenue likely goes down, and valuation goes with it.

I think Colligan is exaggerating how much trouble the org is in 5 years from now, but his general point is correct. I think the Pens have plenty of time to rectify it, but it won't be easy, especially is they keep taking the 'win now, trade picks' approach. I think a new ownership will want at least some eye on the future.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Uh why do you assume he is talking about the very near future? I took it as him saying the biggest risk any potential owner would see is the lack of quality depth in the prospect pool. His solution, of course, was ridiculous.

If you are going to buy the Penguins, you need to take a long view of the valuation of the franchise. Sure they are on a high right now, that's why Burkle and Lemieux want to sell. The Penguins have a lot going for them right now but if in 5 years they suck and move to the basement of the league, ticket revenue likely goes down, and valuation goes with it.

I think Colligan is exaggerating how much trouble the org is in 5 years from now, but his general point is correct. I think the Pens have plenty of time to rectify it, but it won't be easy, especially is they keep taking the 'win now, trade picks' approach. I think a new ownership will want at least some eye on the future.

https://twitter.com/MikeColligan
@MikeColligan Aug 11
@TimBowers62 absolutely, I don’t think they’re a cup contender in 2 years, that trade might get them back in the hunt

That is the comment I'm referring to.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
so hes saying the pens werent cup contenders prior to the kessel trade? thats true.

they arent shoe ins for cup contenders in two years either.

They're in alot better shape in two years with a developed Maatta and Pouliot and a legit forward group than they were before.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
so hes saying the pens werent cup contenders prior to the kessel trade? thats true.

they arent shoe ins for cup contenders in two years either.

no one's a shoe in for anything ever but if anyone thinks it's likely this team is falling off a cliff in two years then i have to respectfully disagree

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I don't think a prospective owner is going to even care much about internet prospect rankings. They're going to care about the on-ice product, ticket sales, arena leases, and overall profit margins and stuff.

Prospect talk is for fans like us. At the end of the day they don't mean much and they ebb and flow every couple years and most prospects don't pan out anyway.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Not impossible it could happen that quick, but it's a bit pessimistic for my thinking after the summer JR just had.

It's just really annoying to see all these writers claim they're not contenders all of a sudden with a better supporting cast at forward than they've had in years.

This team in 2 years is better than the ones they've had in the past. Period.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
The salary cap isn't going to be the undoing of this club, when it's undone (I say around 5 years from now). What's going to kill us is that

1. all our important players are roughly the same age, most have a lot of wear and tear on them and they're likely to wash up in bunches
2. odds are long that we'll be able to replace any one of them internally, let alone all of them

Ideally you want the age ranges of quality players staggered, not "every forward who's shown he's worth a damn is between 27 and 30, other than the two 35 year olds with health problems." That way, Cleary, Tatar, Helm, Kronwall, Howard, Eriksson and Nyquist don't wash up in the same year. Only Cleary does.

We're not built to internally replace much of anything when that needs doing (and at least one important player will need replaced within 5 years). 3C position. Maybe.

That's true, but if Murray, Pouliot, and Maatta can keep developing on their current trajectory, we could have the assets to move Letang and/or Fleury. Both would go a ways to replenish the prospect pool if they're playing near their present standard.

A lot would have to break right for that to happen, but it's within reason anyway.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
It's just really annoying to see all these writers claim they're not contenders all of a sudden with a better supporting cast at forward than they've had in years.

Media is fickle... they were hyping the Pens that were poorly constructed as cup contenders for years... now that they have addressed a lot of issues they are off the bandwagon... it is probably a good sign... most media members aren't mensa cardholders after all...

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

The team turned into a **** show from 2009-10 to 2013-14.

Now that we have some depth on forwards in the NHL, the task is to re-stock the "Cupboard" heavily through the draft. I am hoping JR can address that.

But I am definitely curious as to who ends up owning (majority of) the team. I would hate to see some new owner(s) come in and suddenly want to cut back spending. But I don't see that happening, the Pens generate a decent amount of revenue do they not? I recall them being pretty big earners in the NHL for merchandising, tv rights, etc. Fans will show up as long as this team can keep pushing for the playoffs and there is no scare of moving them.

That should be enough to want to spend to keep the team competitive. But I am hoping it's owners that are very hockey savvy and want to keep moving forward with scouting, technology (medical, training), etc.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Here's one thing Mario would never sell. :laugh:

ThePhil_015.png

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Someone is at least going of their way to make a comic strip about the Penguins.

EDIT: though it doesn't really belong in this thread.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad