OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
If we needed to trade geno to avoid pain, why did we trade for kessel? Idiot

Artie Party

Oct 1, 2014
Pittsburgh
colligan should be better than that

I thought the same thing. His writing and reporting is usually so much better than that. The fact that the cap may rise 2.5 mil in 16-17 due to the new agreement with MLB already makes the Sid, Geno, Kessel, Letang contracts look so much better.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
I don't get how the lack of forward depth was ignored for years by the media but suddenly this year it's a red flag.

It's like they traded for Kessel and suddenly now there are issues...

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
You don't need to rebuild when your have your top 6, top 4 defense and goaltending locked up and/cost controlled in a rising salary cap.

You need to be finding cost effective depth wherever you can find it. And stop moving draft picks every deadline for players you can get for cheap deals in the summer.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I'm going to give Colligan a pass here and assume he meant that a new owner will have to look at the next 10 years. The biggest risk is the lack of quality prospects in the system pick up the reigns after Sid and Geno. There is time to fix that issue though and trading Geno to build out the prospect pool doesn't make any sense. No owner would propose that so it doesn't really make sense to mention.

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA

Ah yes, the shrill cry of the brain dead who think they're being bold and provocative while rolling out, instead, the tired and witless same ol' same ol'. Please, do elaborate, I'm so blown away by this blindingly brilliant observation.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Colligan's talking about medium to long term outlook (which is what an ownership group would look at) and he's right. Immediate term, on paper, the club looks solid. Better than solid. But if you take a look at what the club might look like in 5 years, the outlook is real, real bleak. There's no Pavel Datsyuk or even an Adam Henrique on the way to sort of lend credibility to the roster after players start aging into irrelevance--which for us will happen in a group.

Edit: I think people might be misunderstanding what he's getting at. He's not predicting a Malkin trade. He's saying any rebuild will be long and painful, unless the Penguins were to decide and trade Malkin (which is unlikely, imo).

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
Real real bleak? Crosby will be 32/33 and still incredible. Maatta will be 25. Malkin will be younger than Datsyuk is now. What an absurd statement.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Colligan's talking about medium to long term outlook (which is what an ownership group would look at) and he's right. Immediate term, on paper, the club looks solid. Better than solid. But if you take a look at what the club might look like in 5 years, the outlook is real, real bleak. There's no Pavel Datsyuk or even an Adam Henrique on the way to sort of lend credibility to the roster after players start aging into irrelevance--which for us will happen in a group.

Edit: I think people might be misunderstanding what he's getting at. He's not predicting a Malkin trade. He's saying any rebuild will be long and painful, unless the Penguins were to decide and trade Malkin (which is unlikely, imo).

If he was talking longterm, that'd be fine, but he referenced this team not being a contender in two years.

I'd argue DP and Maatta will develop more than Sid and Geno will regress in that time frame.

This team has all of the most difficult holes to fill locked up/cost controlled. It really isnt' that difficult to recycle bottom six forwards and depth D-men from there.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
Colligan has turned more negative in the past year I've noticed.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
yeah long term pens are screwed. crosby and malkin are already starting to decline and they have next to no impact players on the horizon nor good picks.

i think the prime cup window has already closed but its definitely going to get even worse sooner than we want to admit.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
yeah long term pens are screwed. crosby and malkin are already starting to decline and they have next to no impact players on the horizon nor good picks.

i think the prime cup window has already closed but its definitely going to get even worse sooner than we want to admit.

This team will be extremely competitive for the next 5 years. 3 of the very best forwards in the game + Letang, Maatta, Pouliot and a mostly competent goalie. Almost can't mess that up.

There's certainly going to be a drop off whenever the 2 best players aren't that anymore. That's just a reality. Very hard to predict the post Crosby/Malkin era but guess what, it's not here yet.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

Crosby and Malkin are going to be great players for a long while still. Maybe not best in the world for all that much longer, but still great. The players who we will need to replace them won't be getting drafted for another few years.

penzweiser

Jan 26, 2013

I don't think you understand what you are talking about. Crosby and Malkin should both be great players into their mid 30's and are only 28 and 29 years old. Those guys are in their prime. Not only do we have them in their prime right now, we have a superstar winger in Kessel that is also in his prime years, a #1 d man in his prime years with Letang, another two top 6 wingers in their prime years with Hornqvist and Perron, young defenseman in the 20-23 age range that look like long term top 4 dmen with Maatta, Pouliot and Dumoulin. There is a glut of guys that are competing for that last top 6 guys including a young Russian that we have RFA rights to if he does well we can sign long term. Several guys to play the #3 center role with a young guy tailor made for the position learning off the more experienced guys for a while. What we need from our prospects is 4th line grinders that can play some games on the third line of needed. We have a bunch of guys that fit that portfolio, I think our future looks great.

Oh and I didn't even mention how well we are positioned for the cap long term, we don't have any really horrible contacts (Scuderi I'd the worst and is only two more years). We have a lot of flexibility going forward.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Crosby and Malkin are going to be great players for a long while still. Maybe not best in the world for all that much longer, but still great. The players who we will need to replace them won't be getting drafted for another few years.

Now that we got Kessel for 7 more years, yep.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
The Penguins can still come out of the Crosby/Malkin era relatively healthy but they need to do some things very well that they haven't in 10 years. Mainly drafting the right players and developing them properly.

We are in a position now that we don't have to spend assets on rentals each trade deadline. No more Stempniak's, Morrow's, etc. We have core pieces in place all over the lineup, and free agents/current prospects can supplement the current core. So for the foreseeable future, unless some great deals come along, I don't see many more first rounders being dealt. With those, and the other picks, it can not be overstated how important it is for a good percentage of those players to pan out. The picks from 2017 to the end of Crosby and Malkin's careers will determine how good the team is when they retire. It'll either be X-Gen years bad, or they will still be a competitive team, though it'll obviously be harder since they don't have two of the best players in the league.

Until they retire though, who gives a ****! Prospects don't win cups!

FanaticalFan

Jun 14, 2002
Visit site
The fact that anyone still responds to TTEoT is astounding to me.

what astounds me is that no one has brought up that painful rebuilds are the penguins blueprint for winning a cup. Be a bad team, tank when a superstar is on the board. Draft superstar win cup. I do thing the Pens have another 8-10 years before needing to tank again, and who knows they could actually keep and start using draft pick in that time

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad