Waived: Leighton and Sestito (Leighton cleared waivers, sent to AHL; Sestito to Vancouver)

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Sadly, too, it seems to indicate that Holmgren and Laviolette are not on the same page with respect to goaltending. Laviolette obviously has no confidence in either Leighton or Boucher. I can understand that he was essentially making roster choices to save his job, but the longer-term consequences are becoming apparent. We're all seeing that you can't expect your #1 to play pretty much every game in such a compressed schedule.

Embiid

*Injured
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Sadly, too, it seems to indicate that Holmgren and Laviolette are not on the same page with respect to goaltending. Laviolette obviously has no confidence in either Leighton or Boucher. I can understand that he was essentially making roster choices to save his job, but the longer-term consequences are becoming apparent. We're all seeing that you can't expect your #1 to play pretty much every game in such a compressed schedule.

Yup..made a similar argument. Not getting an NHL capable backup in a season like the current one is a very poor management oversight IMO. If this team was more of a contender it would really stick out. I mean one of the reasons Bryz did poorly come playoff time for Phoenix was the fact he would play 70 games...

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Good luck to Tommy Sestito!

He never really got a shot at cracking the roster in Philly.
With Shelley off the books next year, he may have been an option for certain games but I think the emergence of Tye McGinn as a tough guy who can actually take regular shifts sealed his fate.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Friendly Canucks fan here, just wondering what kind of player we acquired in Sestito. His size speaks for itself, but can he skate well? Just wondering if he's a guy who can typically keep up with the play. I read on the Hockey News forecaster that his defensive game is limited.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Friendly Canucks fan here, just wondering what kind of player we acquired in Sestito. His size speaks for itself, but can he skate well? Just wondering if he's a guy who can typically keep up with the play. I read on the Hockey News forecaster that his defensive game is limited.

He went to the AHL's Phantoms recently on a conditioning stint and was injured in that game. Recently, he was seen at a home game and reports were that he was limping (due to the injury).

If you want an opinion from someone who covers the team:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill...gs-Gustafsson-Two-on-Waivers-Harry-Z/45/49640

Yesterday, the Flyers placed winger Tom Sestito and goaltender Michael Leighton on waivers. The club is currently capped out and is using long-term injured reserve allowance. Sending Sestito ($605,000) and Leighton ($900,000) to Adirondack will clear $1.505 million off the team's cap figure.

There is a chance that Sestito will be claimed off waivers by another team today. Although not particularly trusted by Laviolette (who clearly prefers the smaller, speedier Zac Rinaldo), Sestito does have some assets to offer. He is not a bad skater for such a big guy, and when he plays under control, he can be effective in non-fighting situations.

Sestito, who had a two-goal game against Tampa Bay earlier this season, is not going to score many goals at the NHL level. That's just not his role. Banging bodies and fighting are what got him to the NHL in the first place. But he actually does have decent hands if he gets the puck in close.

Where Sestito still needs to improve his game in terms of his decision making and discipline. By discipline, I'm not only talking about penalties, I'm referring to his play away with and without the puck. But he cannot possibly get better if he doesn't get opportunities to play (whether that's in the NHL or even back in the AHL). If it all takes is a single bad shift or one glaring mistake in a game to earn several more weeks in the pressbox, the player is simply not trusted by the coach and probably never will be.

Perhaps getting claimed by another organization would be a good thing for Sestito. Another coach might see potential value in him as an NHL player and let him play through mistakes while figuring out what does and doesn't work for him at the top level. That's how Rinaldo has begun to thrive under Laviolette. The Flyers have lived through ups and downs in Rinaldo's still-young NHL career, and he's been rewarding the club of late. The coach clearly does not see similar potential in Sestito.

Laviolette may be proven right or may be proven wrong. For the player's sake, at least, you hope there's a coach out there who sees a role on a team for him and hands him the ball to either run with or fumble away on his own. My own feeling on Sesito is that the flaws may be correctable. His mistakes (like Rinaldo's) are often ones of over-zealousness.

However, players who play Sestito's role are often viewed as a dime a dozen, and it's tough for these players to stick for long if they don't make an immediate positive impression. The Flyers placed Sestito on waivers last year and were able to assign him to the Phantoms went he went unclaimed.

Sestito sustained a minor injury (charley horse) while on conditioning assignment with the Phantoms. He also was set back at the start of camp by a bout with mumps.

Coffe

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2010
Stockholm
Then tied to a baboon and thrown into a furnace, Eastern Roman style.

That was new method to me, but it probably works.

Otherwise we have the British favourite of hanging, drawning and quartering. I bet that is still less painful than having Leighton on the roster.

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
Wow - I have never seen that commercial. My life was fine until I watched this. I'm not happy with whoever posted this. If someone could edit the commercial and have those clowns get beat though, ...ram those phones in their mouths...that would make my life worthwhile again.
I didn't know about it before now either. I had thought fishy was a reference to the old filet of fish commercial.

Speaking of talking fish on walls and ramming phones in mouths, I'd like to see what Phil Leotardo would say about the tools in that commercial. You reminded me of a line he spoke to Chris Moltisanti's mom. There's no way to repeat it on this board, but they only had one scene together, shouldn't be hard to figure out. :)

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
That was new method to me, but it probably works.

Otherwise we have the British favourite of hanging, drawning and quartering. I bet that is still less painful than having Leighton on the roster.

A Byzantine emperor (Michael VII? I think it was a Michael) sentenced a guy to death for treason. He decided he should be tied to a baboon and cast into the bath house furnaces. After giving him that fate, he decided to let him live long enough to see one more Christmas. The guy had Mike assassinated at Christmas Mass. So the moral here is, if you're going to tie someone to a baboon and throw them into a furnace, do it as soon as you can after telling them. Otherwise they might do something to stop it.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
can Leighton and the Flyers org. plz part ways..

this arrangement is doing neither party any good..

each time Leights gets resigned,, its only to waive/put him back into the AHL.

holy **** its beyond stupid at this point..

im not sure whos trolling who at this point..

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Sestito gone?

darthnoooooo.jpg

Anyway, it's kinda sad that the magic of the Shelley - Wellwood - Sestito line won't be renewed

Coffe

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2010
Stockholm
A Byzantine emperor (Michael VII? I think it was a Michael) sentenced a guy to death for treason. He decided he should be tied to a baboon and cast into the bath house furnaces. After giving him that fate, he decided to let him live long enough to see one more Christmas. The guy had Mike assassinated at Christmas Mass. So the moral here is, if you're going to tie someone to a baboon and throw them into a furnace, do it as soon as you can after telling them. Otherwise they might do something to stop it.

Hehe karma is a b***h so to say. I googled this and the only emperor that was murdered around Christmas was Leo V that sent a Michael II to die but the story did not involve baboons in any shape, fascinating story nontheless and you got to hand it to the oldies, they sure were creative whenever a man needed to be killed.

And I think I should seriously consider getting glasses as I read Bryzantine at first.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Hehe karma is a b***h so to say. I googled this and the only emperor that was murdered around Christmas was Leo V that sent a Michael II to die but the story did not involve baboons in any shape, fascinating story nontheless and you got to hand it to the oldies, they sure were creative whenever a man needed to be killed.

And I think I should seriously consider getting glasses as I read Bryzantine at first.

Ahhh yes, I got the Michael reversed. Sadly, this awesome story never gets told in detail on the internet, because it should be; if it weren't Byzantine, it would likely get more attention. I've got it in a primary source book and a textbook somewhere. I wish I had been in the room when they came up with that sentence.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Rumour is MTL put a claim in too ? Is there anywhere that lists teams who put claim in ?
If multiple teams put in, then Holmer is a moron to at least not get a 5th or 6th rounder. We all knew he would get claimed.

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
If multiple teams put in, then Holmer is a moron to at least not get a 5th or 6th rounder. We all knew he would get claimed.
Wouldn't a pricetag of *zero* bump up a manager's incentive a little in some cases?

Like, what if your scouts tell you they wouldn't give up a pick for someone, but at $0.00 in picks there's room for him in the system.

WeekendAtBernies

Jun 27, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Yup..made a similar argument. Not getting an NHL capable backup in a season like the current one is a very poor management oversight IMO. If this team was more of a contender it would really stick out. I mean one of the reasons Bryz did poorly come playoff time for Phoenix was the fact he would play 70 games...

I'd like to know from a Bryzgalov fan boy, exactly what is the optimal range of games for Bryz to play in a season? Is it like 60.5-61.5? Or what?

Because last year, the excuse was that Bryz needed to be played more like he was in PHX and that's one of the reasons he was so bad. This year, he's getting played like a true #1 and he's struggling again, so the excuses start mounting that we're playing him too much.

Embiid

*Injured
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I'd like to know from a Bryzgalov fan boy, exactly what is the optimal range of games for Bryz to play in a season? Is it like 60.5-61.5? Or what?

Because last year, the excuse was that Bryz needed to be played more like he was in PHX and that's one of the reasons he was so bad. This year, he's getting played like a true #1 and he's struggling again, so the excuses start mounting that we're playing him too much.

Not really a fan boy but during an 82 game season ..yeah 60 games is ideal.

In a short season especially with a schedule like the Flyers had the first 20....playing as much as he has is over the top IMO.

Finally...as far as Leighton...I think the only way the Flyers and the NHL could have rid themselves of him once and for all was for Tampa or the Panthers to pick him up and a sink hole to swallow him up!

SuchySays

Jun 25, 2012
Poconos

lol. riiiiiiiight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->