Waived: Leighton and Sestito (Leighton cleared waivers, sent to AHL; Sestito to Vancouver)

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
MFL still here makes me want to punch babies, anywho good luck Tostito I hardly knew ya

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Not really a fan boy but during an 82 game season ..yeah 60 games is ideal.

In a short season especially with a schedule like the Flyers had the first 20....playing as much as he has is over the top IMO.

Finally...as far as Leighton...I think the only way the Flyers and the NHL could have rid themselves of him once and for all was for Tampa or the Panthers to pick him up and a sink hole to swallow him up!

The sink hole would end up waiving him. The Flyers would put in a claim.

OzFlyers

Registered Boozer
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
LOL.... Reading the Canucks board they think they have picked up the next Shawn Thorton! I doubt he will get many games on that team if he could barely crack the Flyers lineup.

I think they should have been required to take Leighton as well!!

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Not sure if this was posted but:
"The Canucks put Volpatti on waivers before they knew that Ryan Kesler had suffered a broken foot. Had they known, they would have put Kesler on injured reserve and kept Volpatti, general manager Mike Gillis said, according to The Province, a British Columbia newspaper."
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/canucks-claim-sestito-off-waivers-232120207--nhl.html

not sure who else had a claim in on him but MSE mentioned Chicago put a claim in on Sestito as well. So the Flyers have a contract open and an extra 1.5 million in cap space. Hopefully Holmgren uses it wisely.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
He just had a decent fight. started out well, then got hit a couple times pretty good

nolan ended up going to the lockerroom for repairs. Sestito took a decision and decked Fraser with a big hit. This was a nice pick up for the nucks. If you are going to face the Kings(Nolan, King, Clifford) in a series having Sestito as a 4th liner isn't a bad idea. I think CHI was thinking the same thing.

FlyingPhilly

Mar 3, 2013
Philly
Frank Seravalli ‏@DNFlyers

Hearing the Oilers may be interested in claiming Tom Sestito off waivers. He isn't 100 percent healthy right now, though.

Should have traded him to the Oilers for their 1st rounder and a chance at the 1st overall; great chance of it happening 4 years in a row right? :sarcasm:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
From Sunday's coverage of the Phantoms...

http://therinkreport.blogspot.com/

The 31-year-old Leighton had started just one game since April 2012, thanks to the four-month lockout, Philadelphia’s use of Bryzgalov as a workhorse and the injury he suffered in practice. As he neared full health, he and Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren discussed Leighton’s future.

The goaltender needed reps, and not the kind he could get during a practice. The best way for a goalie to prepare for a game is to play one, to work himself back into a rhythm of facing shooters.

“He told me I definitely needed to play, and I agreed,” Leighton said. “I haven’t played for a while. I played one game against Tampa Bay and then I sat for two or three weeks and then I got hurt and have been out for two or three weeks. It’s something that I thought was the right thing to do.”

That begs the question, why not just assign Leighton to the Phantoms on a conditioning stint? Why place him on waivers, and run the risk that one of the other 29 NHL teams put in a claim?

That was discussed, Leighton said, but a conditioning assignment would have kept him on the Flyers’ 23-man roster. His salary also would have counted against the cap while in the AHL. By placing Leighton on waivers first, the Flyers do not have to worry about either of those issues.

“(Holmgren) was going to do a conditioning stint, but we had too many players on the roster and cap issues,” Leighton said. “He just said ‘We’re going to have to put you on waivers. Go down and play some games, and hopefully be back up.’ ”

Leighton made his AHL season debut Sunday as the Phantoms lost to Albany 3-2. He made 25 saves and played well, though the competitor in him was upset with two of the goals he allowed.

RJ8812*

This better be the last time we ever see Leighton in a Flyers jersey

Embiid

*Injured
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
“He just said ‘We’re going to have to put you on waivers. Go down and play some games, and hopefully be back up.’ ”

:laugh:

Hopefully? umm yeah NO! "Hopefully" a journeyman AHL'r who has been "waived" down more times than hooker on a street corner and who wasn't even picked up by a KHL team during the lockout DOES not come back ever again....

I hope Holmgren was just appeasing him with hope and in reality will leave him where he belongs once and for all...

pelts35.com

Oct 4, 2004
www.pelts35.com
:laugh:

Hopefully? umm yeah NO! "Hopefully" a journeyman AHL'r who has been "waived" down more times than hooker on a street corner and who wasn't even picked up by a KHL team during the lockout DOES not come back ever again....

I hope Holmgren was just appeasing him with hope and in reality will leave him where he belongs once and for all...

Not for nothing, but Craig Anderson was put on waivers 3 times in a span of 3 weeks in 2006.

Embiid

*Injured
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Not for nothing, but Craig Anderson was put on waivers 3 times in a span of 3 weeks in 2006.

I'm quite certain Michael Leighton will not prove himself worthy of an NHL job like Craig Anderson has...

I mean the fact that he can't even prove himself in practice pretty much confirms my belief...

kicksave27

Nov 29, 2007
I would take Craig Anderson over Leighton, same as the last time homer signed the guy.

Embiid

*Injured
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
What is funny about the Leighton circus is that some people said it was a waste of energy to talk about a guy who was going to play 10 games maybe......what an understatement considering he's only played 1 game and been waived :laugh:

Michael Leighton
GP GA GAA SA PCT
1 5 5.08 26 .808

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I strongly dislike that Homer is only sending him down to get more starts. He clearly wants to bring him back up to play.

So basically, Homer wants the team to lose games. He might not realize that's what he's doing, but it is.

Embiid

*Injured
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I strongly dislike that Homer is only sending him down to get more starts. He clearly wants to bring him back up to play.

So basically, Homer wants the team to lose games. He might not realize that's what he's doing, but it is.

I think Homer may have just been appeasing Leighton (I hope he is but yeah have my doubts)....it's really kind of Lavi's call anyway. Lavi is big on rewarding goalies with playing time for their "body of work" in practice like he had done with Bob. All indications are that Leighton was no better than a cardboard tutor shooter cutout in practice...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->