Speculation: Lehtinen, Zubov jersey retirement talk

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Might as well have this thread after NBC posted this article within the hour ...

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/...irements-absolutely-being-considered/related/
The Dallas Stars hope their future is bright after adding Jason Spezza and Ales Hemsky to a core of forwards that already included Tyler Seguin and Jamie Benn. Stars President Jim Lites also wants to honor the past though and his efforts to do so might lead to the team retiring former defenseman Sergei Zubov and forward Jere Lehtinen’s jerseys.

“Nobody appreciates really the hard work that Sergei Zubov and Jere Lehtinen have done for this franchise,†Lites said, per the Dallas Morning News. “My own feeling is that we’re absolutely going to consider it.

“There’s always a commercial aspect to it. Franchises get accused of exploiting their players and that kind of thing. However it’s done it’s going to be done right. Those two guys were career Dallas Stars … They are the two most significant players that haven’t been put in the Hall of Fame yet, so I think we’re absolutely open to the possibility. But when I get asked the question I always say this: The two I hope to retire for sure are 91 and 14, because if we retire (Seguin’s) 91 and (Benn’s) 14 sometime in the future it’ll mean we’ve won Cups here.â€

Lehtinen, who wore the No. 26, spent his full 875-game NHL career with the Stars and finished with 243 goals and 514 points. He won the Selke Trophy three times and was a member of the Stars during their 1999 championship run.

Zubov also won the Stanley Cup with the Stars in 1999 after winning his first championship with the Rangers in 1994. The former blueliner participated in 1,068 career games and wore No. 56 with the Stars in 839 of them. He finished his career with 152 goals and 771 points.

Not too surprising, but I am glad it's finally getting some serious consideration. I think by 2018 we might very well see #26 and #56 up in the rafters along side Mo and the others. They deserve it after all they've done for the Dallas franchise

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Well I am officially a fan of Jim Lites now.

Lehts is a lock IMO. #26 would've been given out by now if the team didn't ultimately plan on retirement. I was a little worried about Zubov's chances but less so after hearing that.

Both are clearly deserving. Lehts for being the consummate Dallas Star and recognized on a league-wide level and Zubov for being the most talented player in franchise history and the #1 driver of the team's success (my opinions). The amount of seasons they played for the club and the fact that they didn't play on another NHL team afterward is part of their case as well.

The triumvirate of Modano/Lehtinen/Zubov best represents the Cup-winning era and it's reassuring to hear that sentiment coming from the team itself.

Naturally if they go through with this they'll want to spread out the ceremonies to different years to maximize interest and make sure each one is special.

Brand New Stars

It would be a shame if they didn't get retired. Glad to hear Lites wants it.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
I'm a stickler when it comes to jersey retirements. I wish the North Star jersey retirements were left in Minnesota.

As for 26/56, I'd probably say no to Zubie and maybe to Jere. Again, I'm tough when it comes to this, but I hate when teams retire too many numbers. It loses luster.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
I'm a stickler when it comes to jersey retirements. I wish the North Star jersey retirements were left in Minnesota.
Agreed, or at least sent back when the Wild arrived ...
As for 26/56, I'd probably say no to Zubie and maybe to Jere. Again, I'm tough when it comes to this, but I hate when teams retire too many numbers. It loses luster.
... but this is crazy talk. The Stars got good the year Sergei Zubov arrived, they got bad the year Zubov left and they didn't get good again until the year Tyler Seguin arrived.

Modano, Lehtinen and Zubov defined that era. No to Hatcher and Nieuwendyk, because they left early and 4 players off a team that won 1 Cup seems excessive but 9, 26 and 56 are all legends.

I'll buy a Southwest ticket to be there for Jere Lehtinen night.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006

I don't agree that 3 "native Dallas" numbers over a span of 20 some years is in any way too many.

Ub the Bub

Feb 9, 2010
I don't agree that 3 "native Dallas" numbers over a span of 20 some years is in any way too many.
Agreed, I mean, it's not like there will be any other candidates for the next 10-15 years... Zubov and Lehtinen are pretty much it until Benn retires, assuming he's still with the Stars then...

Klockis

Suter stan
Mar 21, 2013
Sweden
Not a fan of the Minny numbers being retired simply because they didn't win the cup. I prefer to only retire legends that were on championship teams or won multiple personal awards. Broten for example did neither.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I wouldn't want to reissue the Minnesota numbers that are retired but I really wish they were simply honoured by the team instead of retired.

Klockis

Suter stan
Mar 21, 2013
Sweden
I wouldn't want to reissue the Minnesota numbers that are retired but I really wish they were simply honoured by the team instead of retired.

That would be ideal. I Like the (your?) idea of still having them in the rafters but not retired, on a separate place in the building and not alongside of the real retired numbers.

Nexus

Jul 7, 2013
#26 is a must in the rafters. I don't think adding Zubov up there with Modano and Jere is pushing it, it's not like we'll be retiring any numbers from recent years until Benn quits - assuming he remained as a Star.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW

If we could unretire the Minnesota numbers (Maybe leave Masterton b/c of the tragedy), then I'd be fine with 26/56 in the rafters.

However, I don't think a team starting in 1967 with only 1 Cup should have 6 retired numbers.

I'd consider Jere a 99% lock, but probs no still to Zubie. Don't get me wrong, he was damn good. But Brett Hull, Derian Hatcher and Marty Turco were pretty damn good too.

Last edited:

Caseman

Jan 23, 2008
San Jose, CA
I'd consider Jere a 99% lock, but probs no still to Zubie. Don't get me wrong, he was damn good. But Brett Hull, Derian Hatcher and Marty Turco were pretty damn good too.
I think in terms of games played with the team, Zubov separates himself from that group. And if Turco won a Cup, he'd have a case himself.

That being said, I would rather see Jere's number retired much more than seeing Zubov's.

Klockis

Suter stan
Mar 21, 2013
Sweden
I agree, but it's also pretty disrespectful to reissue the numbers honestly.

I don't think any of the Minny guys that are still alive feel much connection with the Stars, maybe Broten does.

Forgot about Masterton, he should obviously be retired.

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
Goldsworthy is also dead. He died in of AIDS in 1996. So the only two guys who are non-Dallas Stars retired jerseys are dead, and it would look really, really classless to re-issue them.

Goldsworthy is also defendable for his contributions in the earliest days of the franchise - a four-time All-Star who retired as the leading point and goal scorer for the team in only 10 seasons. He scored at least 30 goals in five of those seasons - he was no slouch at all and deserves to have his number retired. While Cups are obviously an ultimate team award, retiring numbers is about play for and contributions to the franchise, and Goldsworthy was one of the main reasons the early North Stars caught on and survived. If the Stars are going to own their history, and they have by not letting the Wild co-opt it, then they have to honor it as well.

I say leave them and go for both Zubov and Lehtinen. Lehtinen is the no-brainer, but Zubov is the caliber of player that would have won 2-3 Norris Trophies had he played most of his prime on the East Coast, Wings or Avs. He's in a class above Turco and Hatcher. Hull is just a case of only playing three years in Dallas - had he been here for a full career or the majority of it, the number would have gone to the rafters.

Dr GLU

Mar 1, 2002
Northern Hemisphere
Count me as a yes on both Zubov and Lehtinen.

Zubov was our best defenseman for a decade and in franchise history, really. Lehtinen was a lifer with three Selkes.

And honestly, no one wears 56 anyway.

Stars99Lobo37

May 9, 2004
Sec 314 - Richardson
They're not going to reissue them...especially after having members of each family come to the Modano retirement.

Lehtinen is no doubt going up there. It's just a matter of when, not if imo.

But I agree with Kritter. Zubov was the best defenseman this franchise has ever had. Had it not been for Lidstrom, or played for Dallas imo, he was Norris worthy. I think it'd be stupid to not retire all three of those numbers (9, 26, 56) after the service they gave our team for 15/20 years in Dallas.

On the subject of Turco, he shouldn't even be mentioned as possible retirement. He had 5 great seasons for us, no doubt. But he never got to a Cup Final, and then was apart of the lowest point in franchise history in the missed playoff years. Heck, he only won two playoff series his entire career.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
Zubov- YES! Maybe the most underrated player of his era. Dude was unbelievable and is about as deserving as anyone to have his jersey retired as a Star.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
I guess where I'm at is this:

I wouldn't be mad at all if 26/56 were retired, I just wouldn't personally do it. They are the two most deserving guys we have. Whether or not "most deserving" equals Jersey retirement is the million dollar question. No doubt those two and Mo were our most important players for a long time.

I just find it hard to justify retiring 3 numbers from a team who only won 1 cup. I think jerseys should be retired in comparison to the rest of the league, not your team. Brendan Shanahan was better than 26/56 and won more cups, but his number isn't getting retired.

No doubt, 26/56 were absolutely key cogs in our run, but they can be recognized as stars without getting their jersey retired. I prefer to reserve jersey retirement for no-brainer choices.

Last edited:

TrillMike

Feb 21, 2012
Dallas, TX
26 and 56 should absolutely be retired.

I've always understood the reasoning behind Broten's being retired, but it bugs me about 8 and 19.

Ambassador Of Fun

Jun 23, 2010
Stevens, Niedermayer and Daneyko also have their numbers retired for NJ and I'd be surprised if Elias won't have his retired as well.

Edit: I guess you removed the point about Brodeur and NJ so this doesn't make sense anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad