Lehner or Anderson?

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
wow some people these days :shakehead just make something out of nothing :s

Andy clearly said he is finding it difficult to track pucks. that tells me right there he probably had concussion symptoms

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
This, it looks like he's pulling the chute like he (allegedly) did in Colorado. I'll stick with Lehner, at least the guy holds himself accountable and is a battler. He's probably not ready for a starting role as of yet, but he will be the guy. Ideally we'd get a good vet backup for him during the summer and go from there.

That is one hell of an accusation.

If anyone in the league not named Crosby or (Patrick) Roy did something like that, they'd be kissing their career adios.

The NHL is still largely an old boys network and a very, very small community. If there was any validity that a 100% healthy player was refusing to play or walking out on the team, he'd be blacklisted by the owners, GMs and the players immediately.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
That is one hell of an accusation.

If anyone in the league not named Crosby or (Patrick) Roy did something like that, they'd be kissing their career adios.

The NHL is still largely an old boys network and a very, very small community. If there was any validity that a 100% healthy player was refusing to play or walking out on the team, he'd be blacklisted by the owners, GMs and the players immediately.

Not to mention he'd be WAIVED on the first chance he'd get and management would go right to press with it.

I have no idea why some idiots on this board think he's "faking it". He had one concussion earlier this season when someone on Dallas was dumped on his head, and now he had Michalek nail him with his elbow at full speed. In this day and age of concussion research, are people really that DENSE and stupid to not understand that concussion symptoms compound and having two this close together is really, really bad for you?

But yeah, some Lehner fan-boy has got to make up stuff to try and sway board opinion towards his guy. Like that needs to be a life goal.

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
wow some people these days :shakehead just make something out of nothing :s

Andy clearly said he is finding it difficult to track pucks. that tells me right there he probably had concussion symptoms

Isn't it protocol to take a week off if you have concussion symptoms? If I'm not mistaken Anderson was practising two days later....Just saying.....If anything it's a neck issue.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Isn't it protocol to take a week off if you have concussion symptoms? If I'm not mistaken Anderson was practising two days later....Just saying.....If anything it's a neck issue.

Could be.

You never know what it could be. Maybe an eye problem, ear problem, maybe it is a concussion that simply didn't register on those baseline brain scans (forget the term atm).

I hate to say it this way, but goalies are amazingly fragile players. You look at most of these guys around the league, and they're skinny as heck. Hardly any muscle or bulk on them at all. Wearing all that equipment all season and playing 60-minute games, especially in a long brutal winter like this one with so much sickness going around....it's no wonder they're dropping like flies this season.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Is there a third option? I'll propose one.

Given our cap space, I would like to see the Sens buy out Anderson's last year, and take a good run at Halak or Hiller. It's clear that a) Anderson isn't staying here long term, and b) he's a little fragile. We have the makings of a great team, but we need a solid starter to make that happen. When we were getting goaltending, we were winning. When we weren't, not so much. Either one of Halak or Hiller would be a clear sign to the fan base and potential 2015 FAs like McArthur and Ryan that Sens management is committed to winning NOW.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Is there a third option? I'll propose one.

Given our cap space, I would like to see the Sens buy out Anderson's last year, and take a good run at Halak or Hiller. It's clear that a) Anderson isn't staying here long term, and b) he's a little fragile. We have the makings of a great team, but we need a solid starter to make that happen. When we were getting goaltending, we were winning. When we weren't, not so much. Either one of Halak or Hiller would be a clear sign to the fan base and potential 2015 FAs like McArthur and Ryan that Sens management is committed to winning NOW.

Halak's numbers are inflated playing behind one of the best defensive teams in hockey (the Blues). He was considered a weakness by them and shipped away in exchange for Ryan Miller. Behind this defense, Halak does no better than Anderson or Lehner does. Pointless to buy him out.

As for Hiller, he is going nowhere. Anaheim moved Victor Faskth to Edmonton so they could go with Hiller and Anderssen for the future.

How is Anderson "fragile"? Just because you repeat on a message board does not make it fact. In his time in Ottawa, Anderson has missed time for:

1) Slicing his hand open - are there goalies made of kevlar? Because most skin can be sliced open with a knife.

2) Ankle injury - Kreider bowls into him while vulnerable. Not too many humans with bionic ankles.

3) Head injury - full body weight of an NHL player on top of your head. What a wuss.

4) Another head-related injury - again, total wuss, can't believe he can't take a flying elbow to the head. Soff, soff, soff.

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
Looks like Andy will back up tonight and be ready to go tomorrow against Florida. I guess he healed up in time to play in front of his family and friends. He must be tracking the puck better now.

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
Halak's numbers are inflated playing behind one of the best defensive teams in hockey (the Blues). He was considered a weakness by them and shipped away in exchange for Ryan Miller. Behind this defense, Halak does no better than Anderson or Lehner does. Pointless to buy him out.

As for Hiller, he is going nowhere. Anaheim moved Victor Faskth to Edmonton so they could go with Hiller and Anderssen for the future.

How is Anderson "fragile"? Just because you repeat on a message board does not make it fact. In his time in Ottawa, Anderson has missed time for:

1) Slicing his hand open - are there goalies made of kevlar? Because most skin can be sliced open with a knife.

2) Ankle injury - Kreider bowls into him while vulnerable. Not too many humans with bionic ankles.

3) Head injury - full body weight of an NHL player on top of your head. What a wuss.

4) Another head-related injury - again, total wuss, can't believe he can't take a flying elbow to the head. Soff, soff, soff.

I just felt like quoting this.

I hope everyone is enjoying what a full year of 22yo Lehner would've looked like. "Congrats on your first overall draft pick Anaheim."

The fact Andy has a winning record in front of this group of sieves is quite astounding.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
After tonight's performance it's pretty clear that Lehner has earned the #1 role. Hopefully Andy finds a home during the summer if anyone wants a 2B goalie.

Ahnotamoose

May 31, 2011
Montreal
After tonight's performance it's pretty clear that Lehner has earned the #1 role. Hopefully Andy finds a home during the summer if anyone wants a 2B goalie.

I don't post here at all for this to matter, but you're my favourite poster just because I never have any clue when you're being sarcastic or serious.

Cheers to you good sir

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Lehner is a good goalie that is going through a terrible rough patch. It happens to a lot of young goalies. Our defense hasn't been helping him out either. He will bounce back.

It does seem like he is getting his game back these last two games. I am not too worried about him. I still think he will be the sens future goalie one day.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I'm happy that Lehner's terrible patch is coming at a time when Sens are struggling badly too.. and Anderson.

It'll damage Lehner's confidence less knowing he wasn't only thing wrong with Sens.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I'm happy that Lehner's terrible patch is coming at a time when Sens are struggling badly too.. and Anderson.

It'll damage Lehner's confidence less knowing he wasn't only thing wrong with Sens.

Now THAT is some Olympic calibre excuse making. Only the finest for the pets no doubt.

I'm pretty sure the team was suffering so badly BECAUSE our goaltending was dreadful. I recall watching a guy who let in 5 goals a game and looked dazed and confused in the net from word go.

But maybe that's just me.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Now THAT is some Olympic calibre excuse making. Only the finest for the pets no doubt.

I'm pretty sure the team was suffering so badly BECAUSE our goaltending was dreadful. I recall watching a guy who let in 5 goals a game and looked dazed and confused in the net from word go.

But maybe that's just me.

Yeah, I think you are right although I don't think goaltending was the only reason we were losing. During the stretch when Lehner was in, and there was still a glimmer of hope for the season, he did not steal points for us in the way that Andy did against Chicago. Well, not until it was too late.

I want to be able to let the rough patches Lehner has experienced during pretty much the entire last half of the season slide, but in the end I really started to doubt that he is the franchise goalie people were projecting. I hope I'm wrong and everything falls into place for him, but he is looking more and more like "average" may be his top end. His compete level is elite, but his positioning, side to side movement, and rebound control are nothing to write home about.

At best, and being as generous and forgiving as possible toward him while giving every benefit of the doubt, I think he has a great deal of work to do before he can hope to be categorized as a legitimate starter in this league.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Yeah, I think you are right although I don't think goaltending was the only reason we were losing. During the stretch when Lehner was in, and there was still a glimmer of hope for the season, he did not steal points for us in the way that Andy did against Chicago. Well, not until it was too late.

I want to be able to let the rough patches Lehner has experienced during pretty much the entire last half of the season slide, but in the end I really started to doubt that he is the franchise goalie people were projecting. I hope I'm wrong and everything falls into place for him, but he is looking more and more like "average" may be his top end. His compete level is elite, but his positioning, side to side movement, and rebound control are nothing to write home about.

At best, and being as generous and forgiving as possible toward him while giving every benefit of the doubt, I think he has a great deal of work to do before he can hope to be categorized as a legitimate starter in this league.

I agree with everything you've written here, except I think his rebound control is one of fatal flaws. We have had numerous goals scored because he can't corral and smother his rebounds, or deflect them out of danger. This inability leaves him floundering out of position like clockwork.

He just LOOKS uncomfortable and has been fighting the puck for weeks.

He is absolutely not the only weak link on the team, and it would seem like everyone has done their disappearing act. It's just a lot harder to blend in when you're a goaltender, and he has been terrible.

I feel like a good summer could see a rejuvenated Lehner, and I hope this is the case. He needs to get his fundamentals down to second nature; rebounding, positioning, and puck tracking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad