Lehner or Anderson?

Pageau

Oct 7, 2013
Nations Capital
Obviously Anderson is going to be starter, but seeing how Lehner has played we should wait till his little hot streak is done (if ever). Personally I think Lehner is wants the role more than Anderson, but that could just be me.

Thoughts? :sarcasm:

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
I personally think you ride Lehner until he loses. But give him a short leash. He loses, go right back to Andy. But he's winning, and the team is playing better in front of him --- SO play him now.

I think he should start against Philly... not saying he will -- but I think he's earned that opportunity.

BigBush*

It should be Lehners job to lose now. I'll be pissed if Anderson gets the next game

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Lehner, hes the hot hand he should be played if not its just arrogance from the coaching, or trying to keep his games down so he does not get an advantage in contract negotiations this summer.

The Fuhr*

Lehner as the number one kills Anderson's trade value

Lehner as number one will give him a significan raise next season as he's a RFA... Can't see Melnyk and his low budget being happy about that.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
You play andy next game and if we lose we play lehner. I wouldnt say andy has lost any games for us this year and i think philly would be a good opportunity to play him off his injury. Start andy as long as he inst costing us games.

The Fuhr*

I wonder if Lehner gets an offer sheet this summer ... With the cap rising 5+ will prob only be a 1st + 3rd in compensation

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
How about this? We start lehner against stronger teams and anderson against weaker teams.
So anderson starts the philly game. Lehner starts the Bruins game. How does that sound? ;)

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
2 Starters?
:shakehead:shakehead

Why not? A decent 60-40 split between them would be good for the team - especially if we do get into the playoffs and have a good run.

Having two powerhouse netminders who are both fresh and chomping at the bit to play when the playoffs roll around would be a huge advantage for us.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton

Lehner as number one will give him a significan raise next season as he's a RFA... Can't see Melnyk and his low budget being happy about that.

Sometimes you make no sense and you make it out sound like that winning is not the main priority for the Sens' organization.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Too be honest, the sens should do a 50/50 split being that the sens need to start seeing whether lehner is capable of being a starter in the future.

Here is my proposal:
50/50 split this season and keep anderson for next season. If lehner keeps up the great work, then have him be the starter next season with anderson as the backup. If lehner succeeds as the starter, then trade anderson at the trade deadline.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Excellent point, I guess people forget how good Anderson has been for this team the last few yrs & in the playoffs. Next yr Anderson will be in the last yr of his contract & unless BM gets an offer he can't refuse for Anderson my guess is that he waits until next season to trade Anderson. However, there would be absolutely nothing wrong with keeping both goalies.

Even if Lehner eventually steals the #1 job from Anderson, Andy would still be a much better backup than the majority of backups in the NHL. Nothing wrong with having two very good goalies to go to or when one or the other is struggling & in an 82 game season both goalies will have some bad games & need to sit out for a bit or because of injuries it's nice to have a competent backup to keep the team winning.

melnyk budget*

The way this team plays defense, we need 2 #1 goalies. This should be obvious.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
both for now, sign lehner to a 3-yr extension, then make the hard decision next trade deadline if andy has trade value and lehner is ready to take over.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
Yeah, unless an amazing package is offered for Anderson I keep both. Anderson being around and playing games and playing well is good for the team. It's also a nice way to limit Lehner's next contract hit. If he is the outright starter it'll be a monster contract, instead of just the significant raise it will be. Likely at least a million and a half difference. After he signs, next season we'll look to move Anderson. This scenario assumes Lehner shows he's the man and Andy shows he isn't. If Anderson is still better than Lehner this summer... well then Lehner's contract shouldn't force a move at all, and we'll want to re-up Andy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad