Lehner or Anderson?

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Throwing this out there and thinking out loud here but do any of y'all think it's possible that Maclean withought making it public knowledge has unofficially decided "in house" that it's a time share now between his two goalies and he's going to let the two of them split time going forward until one or the other emerges as the clear #1?

No need to flame me or get all contentious as I'm just asking the question. I find it very curious that there has been no mention at all of Andy being hurt and yet here it is he has his best game in what seems like forever(or since the Bruins game) and yet he's not between the pipes.

I don't know maybe I'm a sucker for a good conspiracy theory but I just find it kind of peculiar that Andy isn't in tonight. So what do you guys think? Don't you find it a bit odd that Lehner is in?

I mean it could be a stroke of genius for Maclean to have done this withought it being for public consumption that it's now a time share...right? If Andy can use last game as a kick start to his season and Lehner keeps playing as well as he normally has and team wins....what's the difference...right?

Curious to read what you guys think?

83DIZ65

Sep 8, 2011
halifax
Throwing this out there and thinking out loud here but do any of y'all think it's possible that Maclean withought making it public knowledge has unofficially decided "in house" that it's a time share now between his two goalies and he's going to let the two of them split time going forward until one or the other emerges as the clear #1?

No need to flame me or get all contentious as I'm just asking the question. I find it very curious that there has been no mention at all of Andy being hurt and yet here it is he has his best game in what seems like forever(or since the Bruins game) and yet he's not between the pipes.

I don't know maybe I'm a sucker for a good conspiracy theory but I just find it kind of peculiar that Andy isn't in tonight. So what do you guys think? Don't you find it a bit odd that Lehner is in?

I mean it could be a stroke of genius for Maclean to have done this withought it being for public consumption that it's now a time share...right? If Andy can use last game as a kick start to his season and Lehner keeps playing as well as he normally has and team wins....what's the difference...right?

Curious to read what you guys think?

Ill buy what yer saying in fact I hope your right. but honestly I think Andys rattled.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Shocking how many of us were worried that Lehner behind this defense could do some serious damage to a great prospect. But nope, Maximus surely new better than the fans who follow this team on a daily basis.

Congrats, we broke him.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Interesting to read through this thread in the closing parts of the season, knowing how much of it turned out.

I don't think Lehner will be getting the 3 X $3.5MM RFA deal that was suggested earlier in the thread, but who knows. He is obviously worth locking in for a few years, but maybe 3 year AAV $2.5 MM is more reasonable all things considered.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
The sens broke Lehner. Good jobs senators. You destroyed our future goalie. Are you happy? Lehner is going to need to see a sports psychologist in the summer just because of all the **** he had to deal with this season.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
The sens broke Lehner. Good jobs senators. You destroyed our future goalie. Are you happy? Lehner is going to need to see a sports psychologist in the summer just because of all the **** he had to deal with this season.

As others have pointed out, Lehner forced the organizations hand to keep him up with the big club. He should be down in Bingo, and the fact that he is not there right now is squarely on his shoulders. If he can't manage the pressure of playing backup, and can't deal with adversity when it happens, he is clearly no where near ready to be the starter.

The idea that the Sens somehow broke him is, IMO, misguided. His arrogance set him back. Hopefully this huge bucket of cold water hitting him right now will help keep that arrogance in check later on in his career.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
They already know what Anderson can do. I'd give Lehner the bulk of the work for the rest of the season. One reason I can see why BM might not do that is because he may feel Anderson can win more games making our 1st a little weaker than it might be if they keep losing by playing Lehner since Anderson usually finishes strong.

As far as breaking Lehner its his own fault for forcing softy Bryan to promote him before he was ready. MacLean didn't help matters by not continuing to play him the few times he did well. The worse thing is to have a young goalie sit all the time.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Our first round pick is gone.

Why would we try to play better to hurt where Anaheim picks in the first round when it will also hurt where we pick in subsequent rounds?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
IMO goaltending will be the biggest question next yr. Las yr Ottawa was a decent team & challenged in the playoffs because they got good goaltending. This yr the team sucks & people can point to millions of reasons but I think it's because goaltending has changed dramatically for the worst from last season. They have players who like to play a run & gun type system without having to work hard defensively. Like the Oilers of the 80s who had Grant Fuhr to bail them out, that's what Ottawa needs as well or they need to change a number of players. Changing one goalie might be easier.

If both Lehner & Anderson played as well this yr as they did last yr I think Ottawa would be in the playoffs. This is going to be their biggest question mark going forward depending on how these two play to start the yr next season. If they can have another great yr like last yr this team will contend & make the playoffs. If not & again have a poor start then I think BM looks to upgrade in goal as his first priority t improve the team from the goal out.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
goaltending is fine

lehner will rebound (haha no joke intended) and andy has been good

the problem is team defense

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Pride? Winning culture? Self respect?

I think you misinterpreted my quote.

It was following this post, and the emboldened in particular:

They already know what Anderson can do. I'd give Lehner the bulk of the work for the rest of the season. One reason I can see why BM might not do that is because he may feel Anderson can win more games making our 1st a little weaker than it might be if they keep losing by playing Lehner since Anderson usually finishes strong.

As far as breaking Lehner its his own fault for forcing softy Bryan to promote him before he was ready. MacLean didn't help matters by not continuing to play him the few times he did well. The worse thing is to have a young goalie sit all the time.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Maybe the lockerroom is having a terrible affect on Lehner. There does not seem like their is much positivity going on in the lockerroom right now. This can have an effect on players, especially the young players. Not saying that it is the reason why he is playing like garbage, but it could be effecting him.

I am not going to really worry about Lehner. I will wait to see how he plays next season before i start worrying about him.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Its a rough season, theyre all going to go home for the summer, relax, get their minds straight, and then come in next season wanting and, quite frankly NEEDING to prove something. I think this will prove to be a growing pain in what will be a very good team (with at least average to above average goaltending)

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Maybe the lockerroom is having a terrible affect on Lehner. There does not seem like their is much positivity going on in the lockerroom right now. This can have an effect on players, especially the young players. Not saying that it is the reason why he is playing like garbage, but it could be effecting him.

I am not going to really worry about Lehner. I will wait to see how he plays next season before i start worrying about him.

That is one lame ass excuse. What was the excuse when the team was playing well and were back into the race when Lehner was put in poor efforts? What's happening now is one of the reasons why I stuck by Anderson. I have always wanted Lehner to get his chance but I didn't believe he was ready. He has yet to show the maturity and you are really seeing that now.

pepty

Let's win it all
Feb 22, 2005
Wane Scanlon on the pre-game show said that he thought the Sens should say what Anderson's injury is because he looks just fine is doing everything in practice and its starting to remind the reporters of Hasek after his injury at the Olympics where he seemed better and looked great in practice but refused to play.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Anderson obviously cut his hand attempting to cut the cord when his recent baby was born.

Learning how to work how to work his way out of this adversity is a great opportunity for a young developing goaltender. And if he can do it, he will no doubt be better for it. Keep battling Robin and drink your milk.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Wane Scanlon on the pre-game show said that he thought the Sens should say what Anderson's injury is because he looks just fine is doing everything in practice and its starting to remind the reporters of Hasek after his injury at the Olympics where he seemed better and looked great in practice but refused to play.

This, it looks like he's pulling the chute like he (allegedly) did in Colorado. I'll stick with Lehner, at least the guy holds himself accountable and is a battler. He's probably not ready for a starting role as of yet, but he will be the guy. Ideally we'd get a good vet backup for him during the summer and go from there.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
That is one lame ass excuse. What was the excuse when the team was playing well and were back into the race when Lehner was put in poor efforts? What's happening now is one of the reasons why I stuck by Anderson. I have always wanted Lehner to get his chance but I didn't believe he was ready. He has yet to show the maturity and you are really seeing that now.

It might be a lame ass excuse, but they are only HUMAN. Players are not some mechanical robots who don't have any emotions.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
He got knocked pretty hard by Michalek. Anyone have the video?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad