Lehner 35save Shutout in Isles debut

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I take it you've watched zero Islander hockey games this year, but won't hesitate for a moment to give a hot taek how the Isles "suck so bad defensively".

The difference between a Doug Weight team and a Barry Trotz team is obvious. We're killing penalties, offseason guys like Komarov and Filipula have really changed the bottom 6, and the team is making smart coaching decisions.

A poster in the GDT today remarked when the Isles were up 3-0 and the Sharks pulled their goalie, Weight would have put Tavares' line on the ice to pad his stats. Instead, Barzal was nowhere to be seen late in the game despite a gaping open net at the Sharks end, with Trotz relying on guys like Komarov, Filipula, and Cizikas to shut down the Sharks and keep Lehner's shutout.

This is a radically different team than the Islanders you think you know.

I've seen more players dive to try to block shots in the last 3 games, then I have the last 8 years. It is so clear that this team is taking defense seriously for the first time in ages.

I don't think the NYI are a playoff team, but they might be on the bubble and they certainly will be better than most think they will. Wouldn't even surprise me if they finish the year with more points than they did last year.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I wish Lehner the best!

Someone stole him from me for my fantasy and I was so sad

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I watched the game yesterday. Good for Lehner. After his off ice struggles over the past while he deserves a game like that.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Whether it is the Mitch Korn or Barry Trotz effect or both. The Isles goaltending has been night and day after 3 games this season.

It wasn't a cheap one yesterday.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I'll bitterly cheer for him every step of the way. I hope him the best and at the same time wish he had given us his best. Buffalo invested a lot in him just to watch him implode and turn it around, but he is a human and I want him to be happy and healthy and successful

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I'll bitterly cheer for him every step of the way. I hope him the best and at the same time wish he had given us his best. Buffalo invested a lot in him just to watch him implode and turn it around, but he is a human and I want him to be happy and healthy and successful

This very fair. I can understand the frustration from a BUF point of view because they invested a lot into Lehner.

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
Buffalo were a class act in treating him the way they did, it really has to be said. Just look at how some other teams have treated players with similar problems (Kings and Carter, anyone?). Mad respect to Botteril & Co for that.

Reactions: sabremike

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
The trouble is that he IS a very good defenceman.

True.

It is astonishing that there ate still people who spit out that Karlsson is bad defensively.

When he was injured and post surgeries and had a hard time skating and pivoting, YES, he did struggle.

But when he is fit and injury free, he is a very good defenceman. Ask the SJ fans who argued whether he was actually better than Vlasic defensively.

Calling #65 bad defensively is flat out ignorant.

I mean, who was the best defenceman at the Olympics in Sochi and the gimmic tournament with the U-23 NA team (was it the Canada Cup?).

The answer in both is Erik Karlsson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad