Lehner 35save Shutout in Isles debut

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Isles suck so bad defensively, a shutout is basically a Super Bowl for them. Even better, they did it with super NHLer Erik Karlsson on the enemy team.

We lack a true number 1 defenseman and are thin in high end defenseman. That being said, Trotz has come in and got these guys playing well structured defense. It’s incredible how solid and on point they’re playing within the defensive system. I can’t remember the last time I saw an isles team play like this?

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Isles suck so bad defensively, a shutout is basically a Super Bowl for them. Even better, they did it with super NHLer Erik Karlsson on the enemy team.

I take it you've watched zero Islander hockey games this year, but won't hesitate for a moment to give a hot taek how the Isles "suck so bad defensively".

The difference between a Doug Weight team and a Barry Trotz team is obvious. We're killing penalties, offseason guys like Komarov and Filipula have really changed the bottom 6, and the team is making smart coaching decisions.

A poster in the GDT today remarked when the Isles were up 3-0 and the Sharks pulled their goalie, Weight would have put Tavares' line on the ice to pad his stats. Instead, Barzal was nowhere to be seen late in the game despite a gaping open net at the Sharks end, with Trotz relying on guys like Komarov, Filipula, and Cizikas to shut down the Sharks and keep Lehner's shutout.

This is a radically different team than the Islanders you think you know.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
people forget how highly thought of he was when he was younger

the talent is there and now that hes got a clear mind, sky is the limit

Reactions: Slimmy

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Sharks with 1 OT win against the Kings to start the year, a down Ducks team, Kings team that really has not looked good, and now the Isle's.

Early yet, but probably not the start Sharks were expecting.

The Sharks have been making good goalies look great this season (avg. 1.7 gf/gp). They have outshot their opponents 102-66 so their shot suppression has been fantastic. Can't say the same about the goaltending.

Last edited:

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
He is one of the best. Two times norris winner >>> armchair hfboard poster.

As a Sharks fan, I never really appreciated how good Karlsson is at defense. Oddly enough, he has definitely been better defensively than offensively so far this season. His positioning, stick work, and shot blocking have been exceptional. He has lost very few board battles.

His teammates have not figured out how to play with him yet, so his offensive contribution has been negligible. So many beautiful passes flubbed because the receivers were not expecting them - they just haven't had a passer of his caliber on the back end before and it will take time to adjust to that.

Reactions: Slimmy

Sansbacon

Sep 26, 2006
Westchester, NY
It is special for Lehner due to it being his first game on a new team, an islander record, and because he is coming off of a particularly bad previous season/mental health and substance abuse issues
Well said. It’s not just the fact that he got a shutout, but that his life could have tragically come to an end, and instead he said enough’s enough, and he got the help he needed... THEN posted a shutout in his first game with his new team.

At the very least, it’s a nice story and I’ll be rooting for him to do well on the island.

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Without the Canadian media doing PR for him, people will have to come to terms that Karlsson has always been awful in his own end and can't skate like he used to.

Too bad only 8000 people were at Barklay's to see Lehner's shutout.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Without the Canadian media doing PR for him, people will have to come to terms that Karlsson has always been awful in his own end and can't skate like he used to.

Too bad only 8000 people were at Barklay's to see Lehner's shutout.

That's what happens when you have a 1pm game on what is basically a workday. Only teachers and some gov't employees have off on that day.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Smitty was at the home opener!! His first time back around the team in a long time. And yes, he was a nut

Me and the great man himself! Didn't attack me with a stick so age has mellowed him.
20181006_164206.jpg

Reactions: SI90

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad