Prospect Info: Lehigh Valley Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Juniors, Int'l, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Hopefully we already did with Ghost.

Yeah, I have really high hopes for both of them. Stolarz, Leier, Hagg, and a few of the later draft picks from this most recent draft also look like they could end up very well, but I don't think any of them are as likely to end being an impact player like Ghost or NAK could.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Brynas game starting now (vs Leksands, Raffls old team):

http://www.wiz1.net/channel22

Lindblom is #96.

Ex-Flyers prospect Bertilsson is playing as well for Brynas.

Just got his 1st shift of the game... not a long one with little of note, but his skating looks better at an initial glance than it did last year.

He will likely be one of the 3-5 youngest regular players in the SHL this year as well, Kylington and Kempe are the only younger players off the top of my head who are guaranteed a roster spot.

~10 minutes in: Just helped create a bit of a goal mouth scramble with some nice play from a faceoff then a good, instinctive pass from behind the net. Best chance of the game from Brynas.

~16 minutes in: Nearing the end of the 1st period... he has had ~5 shifts.
Just made a nice play of the boards, kept the puck away from 2 Leksands players, out-muscled one and offloaded it to keep the play alive. Limited ice time ofc, but he has made two very nice plays so far. As much as you can ask for from a 4th liner so far.

Last edited:

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
You tell him Chris! I hope Sam makes it tough on the brass to send him back. But I am all for letting him mature and became a beast before he starts for us. But heck he really will be a nice addition to the club once he makes it here.

Actually that was sam's message to chris. Chris left the conversation puzzled but inspired.

Akanon

Apr 15, 2012
Anthony Mingioni @AnthonyMingioni
Sam Morin continues to impress with his tracking & lateral movement.

Anthony Mingioni ‏@AnthonyMingioni
Nicolas Aube-Kubel had a very nice deflection goal just a little but earlier. Speed & play anticipation in evidence.

Shayne Gostisbehere with as nasty a ripped wrister as you see, beating Stolarz high glove.

Akanon

Apr 15, 2012
Travis Sanheim in 3 on 3, gets on top on the player he's tracking fast & calmly strips the puck. Very fluid motion.

Bill Meltzer ‏@billmeltzer
Aube-Kubel has some mighty good hands. Has probably been best finisher out there.

Gostisbehere roofs one high glove from center slot. Filthy.

Another goal for Gostisbehere. Off rush.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Still really early but it sounds like Ghost is gonna make this a really hard decision for management, especially with Kimmo out.

Thanks for the updates.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
Still really early but it sounds like Ghost is gonna make this a really hard decision for management, especially with Kimmo out.

Thanks for the updates.

I think he could definitely be good enough to make the team, but with the signing of Del Zotto and Schultz, I think they're gonna make him play with the Phantoms the whole season anyway. Not just to get another year of developing and adjusting to an 82 game schedule, but also for team chemistry and team success. Hextall was adamant that a strong AHL team makes for a strong NHL team once those players graduate. We haven't really had a decent Phantoms team since 06, so I think they're gonna try to play Laughton, Stolarz, Ghost, Hagg, Morin, Cousins, etc. all together on the Phantoms, get used to winning there and then bring them up to the Flyers hungry and already established as teammates.

It's a good plan, but I'm just so impatient and want to see Ghost play the PP with Giroux ASAP

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
Ghost is trying to impress, im really excited about his future.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
So Alderson is 6'4", and he's a good skater.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=62297

Second season Phantoms forward Brandon Alderson also showed good wheels in yesterday's session. The 6-foot-4 forward did not have as much success as Straka, 2012 first-round pick Scott Laughton, Nick Cousins or Aube-Kubel in finishing plays yesterday but it was hard not to notice the big guy's fleet feet. Likewise, rookie pro Taylor Leier showed some quick acceleration during the sessions.

Bill also has some in depth thoughts on Hagg.

Philly's 2013 second-round pick, Robert Hägg, did not stand out much yesterday in either a positive or negative way. He showed poise and handled all the drills competently with and without the puck. He has a laidback type of personality, which can be a positive or a negative.

On the positive side. Hägg's calm demeanor helped him late last season when he played in the AHL with the Phantoms after completing his SHL season with Modo. He understood the adjustments involved in playing on the smaller rink in a more physical style of hockey but never got overwhelmed any of it. That impressed Murray and the Flyers organization. Likewise, he seems to be grasping systems quickly and is not intimidated by the level of competition that surrounds him.

On the flip side, having a type B personality on and off the ice can sometimes hinder ambitions or wringing out the absolute maximum of the player's potential. Fairly or unfairly, one of the main criticisms of Hägg when he played in Sweden was that he needed to elevate his "compete level" more.

I have never heard Hägg's attitude questioned by any of his scouts or scouts from a work ethic standpoind. That's not the issue. He's clearly a good kid who is coachable. Even so, these are the questions that get asked: Does he burn with an internal desire to be the absolute best player he can be or is too content to just go with the flow? He wants to win and do well, of course, but is he sickened by the thought of losing?

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Alderson really started to turn it on at the end of the season. His biggest asset is that he is a big guy that can skate. He also had a pretty decent shot. His main problem though is that he doesnt control the puck well and defensively is just OK. He is a sit infront of the net type of player. He is pretty unnoticeable otherwise. Except when he does use his speed and it catches you off guard.

Also glad to see Straka doing well again. But same thing happened last year. He always looks good when doing skilled things. He probably is the most pure skilled player on the Phantoms. Problem is his consistently is a problem and can really look lost out there if he doesnt have the puck on his stick.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think he could definitely be good enough to make the team, but with the signing of Del Zotto and Schultz, I think they're gonna make him play with the Phantoms the whole season anyway. Not just to get another year of developing and adjusting to an 82 game schedule, but also for team chemistry and team success. Hextall was adamant that a strong AHL team makes for a strong NHL team once those players graduate. We haven't really had a decent Phantoms team since 06, so I think they're gonna try to play Laughton, Stolarz, Ghost, Hagg, Morin, Cousins, etc. all together on the Phantoms, get used to winning there and then bring them up to the Flyers hungry and already established as teammates.

It's a good plan, but I'm just so impatient and want to see Ghost play the PP with Giroux ASAP

Well, the good news is Snider seems to be 100% behind Hextall's insistence on "patience," at least from his public declarations. And that bodes well for the next few years, even if they have to take a step back this season, then clear some salary room by moving out a few veterans to make room for the kids in 2015-16.

However, I'll be surprised if Laughton doesn't make the team, he should be NHL ready. The rest of the kids would probably benefit by playing 20 minutes a night in the AHL rather than as the 6th or 7th D-man or sporadic minutes on the 4th line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad