Prospect Info: Lehigh Valley Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Juniors, Int'l, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Morin was +2 tonight with 2 hits in a 4-1 win.

NAK with no points and -1 in a 4-3 loss.

Not much to see so far tonight.

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
Flyers are 19th in these org rankings.
http://lastwordonsports.com/2014/09/06/tsp-nhl-organizational-prospect-rankings-20-11/
19) Philadelphia Flyers (B-)

The Flyers strength is on defence, where big defenceman Samuel Morin has started to develop his offensive game in Rimouski this season. Travis Sanheim was a solid pick in the NHL draft, and may even be a better prospect than Morin. Shayne Gostisbehere moves to the AHL after leading his Union team to the NCAA championship. Add in Robert Hagg, a solid Swedish defence prospect, and Mark Alt and you have a good core of defencemen going forward.

The forwards feature the Flyers top prospect in Scott Laughton, but the depth beyond him is a little thin. Taylor Leier has talent but is undersized. There are some other projects at forward in Nicolas Aube-Kubel, Jason Akeson, Nick Cousins, and Michael Parks. In goal, Anthony Stolarz had a solid year in London. The Flyers are slowly moving their way up the prospect rankings in recent years, and are starting to assemble a solid group of prospects at key positions, though more forward talent is needed.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Laughton can't possibly be 177 pounds; that's just a little more than I weigh. He looks much more solid than that.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Laughton can't possibly be 177 pounds; that's just a little more than I weigh. He looks much more solid than that.

Draft year he was listed at 6'0 and 174lbs.

When he reported back to junior he was listed at 6'1 and 178lbs.

He has been listed at 6'1 and either 190lbs or 194lbs since summer 2013. Flyers had him at 194lbs at training camp in 2013.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
So they just never update the weights?

Pretty much... I don't know why, as usually the listings at training camp and in international tournaments are different (ie updated) but they hardly ever keep them updated... usually after a players ~3rd season they just keep that weight forever!

Giroux is still listed as 172lbs...yet when he became a bauer brand ambassador (~2012) they listed him at 181lbs. And the NHLPA site updated his listing to 185lbs after the lockout... (the NHLPA website updates some most years and others they never update... bizarre.)

Simmonds is listed as 175lbs or 183lbs most places now. But I remember him being listed as ~190lbs at the end of his time in LA.

Most places have Couturier at 191lbs or 197lbs... but he weighed ~205lbs coming into the 2013-14 season. He said it himself.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Rinaldo is listed 169 lbs. but on the official release statement by the Flyers for his recent signing they made mention how he is 185 lbs.

Morin is also listed as 210 lbs. despite being weighed in at 224 lbs. during their prospect camp.

They're just too lazy to update them because in the grand scheme of things I guess it really doesn't matter.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Here are the individual lists from the voters...
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=729655&navid=DL|NHL|home

... As you'd expect they are a total cluster ****.

KIMELMAN:
18. Scott Laughton, C, PHI
30. Robert Hagg, D, PHI

MORREALE:
23. Scott Laughton, C, PHI

MASISAK:
none

SCOUT A:
35. Samuel Morin, D, PHI
40. Scott Laughton, C, PHI
60. Shayne Gostisbehere, D, PHI

SCOUT B:
31. Scott Laughton, C, PHI
57. Shayne Gostisbehere, D, PHI

SCOUT C:
19. Shayne Gostisbehere, D, PHI
28. Scott Laughton, C, PHI
39. Robert Hagg, D, PHI

... Morin is only on one list, but these lists are very bias against defensive defenseman. So that doesn't shock me.

Sanheim not being ranked by anyone is just a total joke. I will argue with anyone that he is our best prospect. I think that most of these people just haven't seen him enough (or at all) to realize how good he is, since he was off the radar until late.

I'd love to know how often these guys, the Pronmans, etc have actually seen the Flyers prospects. My own list of our prospects is so different than the consensus, it makes me scratch my head. I've seen our guys a crap ton of times. So I know I'm working with a solid sample size. Anyway, here is my top 5 since I may sound a bit critical.
1- Sanheim
2/3- Morin / Gostisbehere (toss up but I slightly lean Morin)
4- Laughton
5- Hagg

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I get why you have Sanheim first, but I don't blame anyone who wants to see more than an excellent half-season from before putting him that high.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I think Sanheim has been left of a lot because he only has half a season of fantastic play, they probably think he needs to do that consistently for at least one season before giving him praise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad