Prospect Info: Lehigh Valley Phantoms (AHL), Reading Royals (ECHL), NCAA, Juniors, Int'l, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia

Just off the bat, Morin is leading the team in EV points from defensemen. I like that.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Unless I'm missing it, most of the good fancy stats aren't listed.

Yeah that's what I figured, their regular stat database isn't nearly as extensive as the NHL. It's still cool to see some of the statistical breakdowns & usages though.

Just off the bat, Morin is leading the team in EV points from defensemen. I like that.

Yeah I liked that led the team in ice time as well. It also shows that if he replaced Kostalek next year on the first PP unit his point total should be even higher next year.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
We. Should've. ****ing. Taken. Morrissey.

I said it on draft day, and I'm saying it again now. :(

Morrissey is certainly the more NHL ready prospect, but Homer looked at Morin as his potential homerun prospect. If he puts it all together, he'll be the better NHL player. The last guy they really took a shot on for a potential homerun was Giroux, and I think we all like how that one turned out.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Morin seems like a guy Holmgren would love but Hextall wouldn't. I'm not saying the Flyers need to do something with him, or should, but it wouldn't surprise me a little bit if Hextall used Morin in a trade.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
You're projecting again. Hextall has already said how important size is on defense.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
You're projecting again. Hextall has already said how important size is on defense.

But he did say how he loved players that can skate. Morin isnt the worse skater, but also is not the best. Reason why L. Schenn and Grossmann might be on their way out. Why they got rid of Hartnell and now have Umberger. Hextall loves players that can skate.

I doubt they move Morin though.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Morin is a fantastic skater for his size.

Yes for his size. And thats the first time I saw the word fantastic used.... It's still average.

I would consider Coburn's skating to be fantastic for his size.

But I would have to see how it has improved during the camps. Word from people that watched him said that the smaller skaters who skated well still got by him pretty frequently. And thats due to his skating.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Comparing him to slugs like Grossmann and Schenn is silly. His skating is also far superior to his draft comparable Zadorov.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
His skating is very good by any standards. Trouble with smaller forwards is something that all bigger young defensemen deal with while learning to play within their frame. He'll adjust and start clobbering them like he does with everyone else as he develops.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Morin is a fantastic skater for his size.

Yeh, his skating looked fine compared to NHL players in camp 'highlights'... and watching him in some Q games this year he looks a good skater. His stride is powerful and long pretty smooth stride and he can turn well. He is a better skater than half of our D already. His only 'trouble' 'skating-wise' from what I have seen is gap control at times seemingly... and that is the same for 90% of young D men, and that skill is as much mental as physical.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Comparing him to slugs like Grossmann and Schenn is silly. His skating is also far superior to his draft comparable Zadorov.

Never did I say he was as slow as them. Just said Hex likes extremely good skaters.

His skating is very good by any standards. Trouble with smaller forwards is something that all bigger young defensemen deal with while learning to play within their frame. He'll adjust and start clobbering them like he does with everyone else as he develops.

Hopefully. Or he could be like T. Myers and Jamie Oleksiak who both have trouble.

Dont get me wrong, I like the kid and dont want him traded. Just... his skating is good, not fantastic.

I dont know where this "he is a great skater" is coming from.

From Bill M's earlier in the year article:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-Meltzer/Meltzers-Musings-Morin-Update-Revisiting-Weber/45/58043

1) Morin has begun the process of smoothing out some of the rough patches in his footwork, but this is not going to happen overnight. He's a good skater for such a big play, but there are still times where he looks awkward as he's crossing over. He'll end up sometimes on the wrong side of the dots and, unless he can use his long reach to break up the play, he'll get beaten.

Like I said. He is a good skater. Not great. If he was a fantastic skater he wouldnt need to work on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad