Legends Tournament: Level A, round 3: Ovechkin Versus Crosby

Who is better all-time?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
As much as I would like to vote for OV here I just can't. I do however probably have these two closer to each other than most.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Right, cus Crosby benefits a lot from Malkin even though they only play on the PP together..... If anything OV has benefited more from having an all star centre his whole career while Crosby has always had pretty underwhelming linemates from the likes of: Colby Armstrong, to Chris Kunitz, and now Jake Guentzel.

Even though teams tend to put a lot of focus on Crosby's line, it does help both Geno and Sid that the opposing team needs to treat them both (and by extension their lines) as upper tier first line centers. With the Caps the majority of time it's been OV and his line that gets the bulk of the attention.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
"all-star players", not necessairly meaning on those made up gimmicky AS squads.

put it this way, both are legit top 20 centres in the game. Backstrom was top 10 in his prime even.... Its like youre trying to convince us that theyre not that good. Kuzy was the real winner of the Conn Smythe too and you know it.

That's a fat ass lie. Kuzy would have been a fine choice but so was OV. I've watched every single Caps game from those playoffs and you could go with either one. Implying Kuzy got in any way robbed is just twisting the past.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
As much as I would like to vote for OV here I just can't. I do however probably have these two closer to each other than most.
I agree with this
Even though teams tend to put a lot of focus on Crosby's line, it does help both Geno and Sid that the opposing team needs to treat them both (and by extension their lines) as upper tier first line centers. With the Caps the majority of time it's been OV and his line that gets the bulk of the attention.
sure, but Backstrom/Kuzy is a top 1-2 punch in the league as well.

Reactions: wetcoast and Plural

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
That's a fat ass lie. Kuzy would have been a fine choice but so was OV. I've watched every single Caps game from those playoffs and you could go with either one. Implying Kuzy got in any way robbed is just twisting the past.
12G/32P vs 15G/27P.... thats 5 pts difference over 24 games.
both had 2 GWG, Kuzy with the biggest one of them all

.... he won it based on reputation as much as Crosby did for his 2nd one. Say what you want.Its what many experts were saying the next day, but didnt care so much cus its Alex Ovechkin and we all love him.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011

.... he won it based on reputation as much as Crosby did for his 2nd one. Say what you want. Its what many esperts were saying the next day, but didnt care so much cus its Alex Ovechkin and we all love him.

Nope, it's been discussed in length and even during the game and instant aftermath. OV won fair and square. At best his reputation might have tilted a close call in his favor.

But I don't really care to debate this further.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Nope, it's been discussed in length and even during the game and instant aftermath. OV won fair and square. At best his reputation might have tilted a close call in his favor.

But I don't really care to debate this further.
imagine if Alex had 32P, Kuzy had 27P and they awarded it to Kuzy. The world wouldve been pissed.

BackToTheBasics

Dec 26, 2013
.... he won it based on reputation as much as Crosby did for his 2nd one.
They were neck-and-neck in points until that blowout win in game 4 against VGK. Ovechkin was inspiring the team emotionally and physically all over the ice. Kuznetsov may have been slightly better on the ice but if you factor in other things, it could have gone either way.

Also, Ovechkin was in on just about every key goal. 2 goals against Columbus in game 6. Primary assists on the game deciding goals in games 5 and 6 against Pittsburgh while also scoring the winning goal in game 3. GWG in game 7 against Tampa. How is that at all similar to Crosby's first Conn Smythe?

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
It's funny how if over a 3 year period (13-15) OV wins a hart and comes 2nd for another year, he's not even in the "best player discussion". But if over a 3 year period (17-19) Crosby has 2 distant hart runner ups either side of a 17th place finish, he's in the "best player discussion". Lol, pretty ridiculous.

Reactions: Hippasus and Voight

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
It's funny how if over a 3 year period (13-15) OV wins a hart and comes 2nd for another year, he's not even in the "best player discussion". But if over a 3 year period (17-19) Crosby has 2 distant hart runner ups either side of a 17th place finish, he's in the "best player discussion". Lol, pretty ridiculous.

True. There definitely seems to sort of two set of standards here. Now, I'm not saying you're 100% right, but the conventional metrics which we use to judge forwards (award and offensive finishes) do suggest Ovechkin was among the top players and in contention for the best. IIRC he was beaten by Price, a goalie, for the Hart too.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Caps fan saying Crosby.

Ovechkin had the more impressive peak from 2007-2010 but outside of that Crosby has been the better player.

Also, Canadian saying Crosby. Old news are boring.

Anyway this project kinda lost all credibility before it started.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Also, Canadian saying Crosby. Old news are boring.

Anyway this project kinda lost all credibility before it started.

oh shut up. Nothing worse than someone calling out the race/ethnicity card in perfectly fine debate between 2 hockey greats.

Get the hell outta here. Pathetic.

Last edited:

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Not true at all. If Ovechkin doesn't miss ten games in 2010, he wins another Hart and another Rocket.

And, not for nothing, he takes a piece of hardware from Crosby.

Ovechkin chose to miss 10 games, by playing a dirty game that got him repeatedly suspended. He didn't miss them due to injury. You can't give him back games for this, there's no "what if" here

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Yup Canadians are obviously immun to bias, I am sure the results would be entirely the same on a Russian site.
Also you don't tell me what to do you cucked garbage.

"Perfectly fine debate" where, arguably, the greatest goalscorer of all time with more individual hardware and a higher peak get's trashed by a dime a dozen superstar, laughable.
The guy is 6th ALL TIME in PPG over 950GP all in a low scoring era while OV is 21st, and you think this is clear. Youre not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to hockey are you?

Its a stupid comment from an idiot poster. That fact that you think Crosby is ONLY winning this poll because of Canadian bias shows your lack of hockey knowledge, and extremely poor narrative on the subject. I think youre even the first to go in that direction in this thread. What does that tell you?

Go post your garbage elsewhere. Hell, dont even post at all, youre wasting bandwidth..... Youre seriously as worthless and as pathetic as they come on here. Way to go for being THAT GUY to make this debate into something its not. Just pathetic.

Last edited:

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Ovechkin chose to miss 10 games, by playing a dirty game that got him repeatedly suspended. He didn't miss them due to injury. You can't give him back games for this, there's no "what if" here

Four games for suspension, six games for injury.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
They were neck-and-neck in points until that blowout win in game 4 against VGK. Ovechkin was inspiring the team emotionally and physically all over the ice. Kuznetsov may have been slightly better on the ice but if you factor in other things, it could have gone either way.

Also, Ovechkin was in on just about every key goal. 2 goals against Columbus in game 6. Primary assists on the game deciding goals in games 5 and 6 against Pittsburgh while also scoring the winning goal in game 3. GWG in game 7 against Tampa. How is that at all similar to Crosby's first Conn Smythe?

Plus Ovy was easily the best player in the finals out of both teams.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
The guy is 6th ALL TIME in PPG over 950GP all in a low scoring era while OV is 21st, and you think this is clear. Youre not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to hockey are you?

Its a stupid comment from an idiot poster. That fact that you think Crosby is ONLY winning this poll because of Canadian bias shows your lack of hockey knowledge, and extremely poor narrative on the subject. I think youre even the first to go in that direction in this thread. What does that tell you?

Go post your garbage elsewhere. Hell, dont even post at all, youre wasting bandwidth..... Youre seriously as worthless and as pathetic as they come on here. Way to go for being THAT GUY to make this debate into something its not. Just pathetic.

Think of it this way: A pollster tries to have a representative sample of the voting populace. If the polling sample has too many Democrats or Republicans, they make an effort to even it out.

This forum has what, 70% Canadians and 1% Russians? (WAG).

Last edited:
Reactions: Voight

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Think of it this way: A pollster tries too have a representative sample of the voting populace. If the polling sample has too many Democrats or Republicans, they make an effort to even it out.

This forum has what, 70% Canadians and 1% Russians? (WAG).

Also find it funny that when you have players from different teams the options usually include "fan of x team voting x player". Which indicates, obviously, that fans of certain teams are biased. Then you have players from different nationalities and then it's suddenly an insulting notion that the very same posters might be biased. Guess the loyalty to your country is lower than towards some corporation, vermin truly.

Logically the options should, obviously, include Canadian voting Crosby and Russian voting Ovechkin but no.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad