Rumor: Lecavalier and 3rd overall 2013 pick to T.O.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
TB gets 1.7M less cap space for 3 seasons, 2.3 More cap space for 1 season and 7.8 more for 3 seasons.

Is that worth giving up the best player in the deal and #3 pick?

Doubtful.

My thinking is they just get NHL bodies instead of having to write a check for $30 million.

Bernier the Boats

Formerly BBurke
Aug 31, 2011
If we do get this 3rd pick, I hope we take Drouin. The talent difference between him and Barkov is too much to ignore for positional needs.

Gatorade*

If you told him he was going to be bought out I would bet my mortgage against him invoking his NMC. He would have 35 million reasons to do it.

Meanwhile he may like his full contract and remain in Tampa.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
You guys want to take on a $30M buyout and add roster players and picks to get the 3rd overall?

Not a snowball's chance in Cuba. :shakehead

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
While this is only a rumour and may contain little to no truth - the important thing to remember is that such opportunities will arise in the next 3 or so weeks, as well as next year.

Looking at Tampa, they have very little cap space right now, and a team that finnished 3rd last. With the owner struggling financially, Stevey Y may be under direction to clear more than just enough cap space to make the team better - which would probably be at least $5mil on it's own. If they can find the opportunity to resign Vinny for a lot less, get rid of Malone, etc, while clearing space to improve the team this summer (they need D - badly), it would probably be worth it to them to part with the #3 pick to get out of the jam they are in.

The NYI would probably pay a decent price (as rumoured) to have someone take on the buyout of Dipietro as Wang won't want to pay the bill.

Other teams to watch are ones like Philly and Pittsburgh. Philly is already over $2mil over the cap, and while buyting out Bryz and Briere will get some relief, next summer they will have to sign B. Schenn, Cutourier, Read, half of their D ... oh, and this guy named Giroux. They currently have only 13 players signed past this year, with only $18mil on the books to fill the roster and get those guys signed.

Pittsburgh won't be able to keep Letang, Kunitz, Niskenen, Despres, etc - AND give them raises, AND fill out a roster (they need to sign about 17 players for 2014/15) while staying under the cap.

This TB > TOR rumour may seem a little crazy - but looking at the trouble some teams are in, I think there are about to be a lot of crazy trades in the next 14 or so months! That spells o-p-p-o-r-t-u-n-i-t-y for a good GM with both cap space, and the authorization to use it :yo:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Bryan Hayes @HayesTSN
Claude Loiselle just told us that the Leafs have the ability to use both buyouts and are looking into acquiring another teams contract.

cool.

Igy

Mar 3, 2011
Even if it is not Vinny, I can definitely see something like this happen.

It feels good cheering for a rich team in the league doesn't it?

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
You guys want to take on a $30M buyout and add roster players and picks to get the 3rd overall?

The Leafs spend less now then they did before the cap came into place and that was almost 10 years ago.

If they bought Vinny out after next year its more 23.5 million which is probably more like 20 or 21 million when inflation is taken into account as we'd be paying 1.94 per year till 2026.

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
Chuck is this complete speculation or what?

Its "speculation" on the fact that the Leafs allegedly are indeed exploring options like this.

This meat of rumor isn't specifically about Vinny, as it is about the Leafs doing their homework and seeing which cap strapped teams want to move a hefty contract at the cost of a draft pick.

Vinny and Dipietro come to mind first and foremost.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
What exactly is the rumour?

The Leafs would sent two average roster players to Tampa in exchange for Vinny Lecavalier and the 3rd overall selection. The Leafs would then buyout Lecavalier, who would resign in Tampa on a more cap friendly contract?

Is such a scenario even possible under the CBA? I know the team that buys out a player cannot proceed to sign him for at least a year, but if they were to get another team to do it for them, would it be allowed? Because, however unlikely the proposal is, that is the only way I think it would work. Tampa fans have been emphatic for years that despite his contract, Lecavalier is not on the market and will likely retire as a Bolt.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
What if we kept Lecavalier as our top line center and get the 3rd pick as well, he is only 33 and his contract runs until he's 40 another 7 years cap hit of 7.727,273, still a great player and they now have Stamkos as their 1st line center, why buy him out.

http://capgeek.com/player/884

He is that big center we have been looking for.

http://lightning.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8467329

Not signing Bozak for 5 million and two traded mid-level players would be a wash with the cap hit.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Dear Brian Burke,

Thank you for not getting us stuck with retirement contracts when everybody was screaming that you should offer guys like Richards, Hossa, Kovalchuk, etc. them.

I'm looking forward to the Leafs taking advantage of other teams now who made mistakes by signing these types of contracts.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Why the hell would we buyout Lecavalier if we trade for him? Jesus just let go of Bozak and keep him. 1st line centre problem solved.

beer123

Nov 15, 2009
What if we kept Lecavalier as our top line center and get the 3rd pick as well, he is only 33 and his contract runs until he's 40 another 7 years cap hit of 7.727,273, still a great player and they now have Stamkos as their 1st line center, why buy him out.

http://capgeek.com/player/884

He is that big center we have been looking for.

http://lightning.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8467329

Not signing Bozak for 5 million and two traded mid-level players would be a wash with the cap hit.

I agree with you. Lecavalier would be the giant upgrade that the Leafs need.

The 3rd pick overall will be used for Drouin (left winger) to replace MacArthur (UFA).

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009

Not our $ and it doesn't effect the cap. Granted I don't know how pleased Bell/Rogers would be doing that. Granted if it did happen it would be with their approval.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
The Leafs spend less now then they did before the cap came into place and that was almost 10 years ago.

If they bought Vinny out after next year its more 23.5 million which is probably more like 20 or 21 million when inflation is taken into account as we'd be paying 1.94 per year till 2026.

I understand the concept of NPV and inflation.

What I find ludicrous is the concept of adding multiple other valuable assets on top of the $20-30M to buy the draft pick. Maybe add our 1st to let Tampa appease their fans by having a first, but beyond that, forget it.

Let's remember, the concept includes Vinny going back to TB once we buy him out.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Bryan Hayes ‏@HayesTSN 1h
Claude Loiselle just told us that the Leafs have the ability to use both buyouts and are looking into acquiring another teams contract.

cheks

Apr 10, 2012
it would be sick if toronto do a deal for vinny byrz or dipietro and get an asset .... then offer sheet for a need like center or rhd D

example

leafs: Komisarek, Blacker

NYI: Dipietro, griffin reinhart ,2nd 2013

then Leafs offer sheet Alex Pietrengelo

:naughty:

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
While this is only a rumour and may contain little to no truth - the important thing to remember is that such opportunities will arise in the next 3 or so weeks, as well as next year.

Looking at Tampa, they have very little cap space right now, and a team that finnished 3rd last. With the owner struggling financially, Stevey Y may be under direction to clear more than just enough cap space to make the team better - which would probably be at least $5mil on it's own. If they can find the opportunity to resign Vinny for a lot less, get rid of Malone, etc, while clearing space to improve the team this summer (they need D - badly), it would probably be worth it to them to part with the #3 pick to get out of the jam they are in.

The NYI would probably pay a decent price (as rumoured) to have someone take on the buyout of Dipietro as Wang won't want to pay the bill.

Other teams to watch are ones like Philly and Pittsburgh. Philly is already over $2mil over the cap, and while buyting out Bryz and Briere will get some relief, next summer they will have to sign B. Schenn, Cutourier, Read, half of their D ... oh, and this guy named Giroux. They currently have only 13 players signed past this year, with only $18mil on the books to fill the roster and get those guys signed.

Pittsburgh won't be able to keep Letang, Kunitz, Niskenen, Despres, etc - AND give them raises, AND fill out a roster (they need to sign about 17 players for 2014/15) while staying under the cap.

This TB > TOR rumour may seem a little crazy - but looking at the trouble some teams are in, I think there are about to be a lot of crazy trades in the next 14 or so months! That spells o-p-p-o-r-t-u-n-i-t-y for a good GM with both cap space, and the authorization to use it :yo:

The opportunity does not arise next year. The player must be on the roster prior to the deadline in order to be bought out. Therefore, only players during THIS buyout period are potential targets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad