Rumor: Lecavalier and 3rd overall 2013 pick to T.O.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
No, but IIRC under the new CBA Tampa could certainly "re-sign" Vinny if the Leafs had bought him out.

They'd essentially be buying that 3rd overall pick.

Tampa trades Vinny + 3rd to a team.

That team buys out Vinny.

Vinny re-signs with Tampa at a lower cost, but is compensated via the buyout.

wow good call, are you hearing anything?

still think this seems far fetched for a pick that high

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It would only make sense if we were planning on keeping Lecavalier. Something like:

Grabovski
Liles

For

Lecavalier
3rd overall

We get some use out of Vinny and a great pick, potentially then moving up to first overall, while Tampa gets two roster players with less term and more flexibility.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Agreed they are the most "likely" scenario's.

But I think the only way both Yzermand and Nonis were to complete such a deal, would be if they had Vinny's word he was returning to Tampa Bay at a much cheaper cap hit.

That's collusion though. And while I wouldn't be surprised to find out it happens all the time, the Leafs and Lightning could get into some serious trouble if they got caught doing this.

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
Without opening the thread I already knew where this ridiculous rumour came from. :facepalm:

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
That's collusion though. And while I wouldn't be surprised to find out it happens all the time, the Leafs and Lightning could get into some serious trouble if they got caught doing this.

It's not collusion to say "we're going to re-sign the player we currently own".

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
It would only make sense if we were planning on keeping Lecavalier. Something like:

Grabovski
Liles

For

Lecavalier
3rd overall

We get some use out of Vinny and a great pick, potentially then moving up to first overall, while Tampa gets two roster players with less term and more flexibility.

TB gets 1.7M less cap space for 3 seasons, 2.3 More cap space for 1 season and 7.8 more for 3 seasons.

Is that worth giving up the best player in the deal and #3 pick?

Doubtful.

Primary Assist

Jul 7, 2010
It's not collusion to say "we're going to re-sign the player we currently own".

But it is collusion to say that we don't intend on owning this player for a short period of time, during which we will transfer to you some of our assets in regards to this unwritten agreement.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
It may only be a rumour but I like it but I would like to know, which two mid-level roster players, that would be included in a deal and also the draft picks involved.

It would ensure that we get a good young center after the smoke clears and Maybe even getting MacKinnon.

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=49649

1. Seth Jones
2. Jonathan Drouin
3. Nathan MacKinnon

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Not assuming for a second that this deals goes through...but interestingly enough. Who would the Leafs take at 3 ? Drouin is the consensus #3, but the Leafs need that potential 1 line center. Would the Leafs take Barkov over Drouin at 3 ?

Tough call. BPA is likely Drouin.

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
I would like to know if we can use the compliance buy out on a player new to the roster, or would they have to be on the roster for a season? It's only worth it to everyone if they buy him out right away, TB gets their captain back cheap, and we get the 3rd without cap penalty. Other wise he's here for at least a year, which I'm sure TB doesn't want, or he counts on the cap for a decade or 2, which TOR won't want.

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Also, if it works, the leafs would likely want either a center or D from the draft. Either take Barkov at 3, or move back for Monahan, who they've interviewed.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
I would like to know if we can use the compliance buy out on a player new to the roster, or would they have to be on the roster for a season? It's only worth it to everyone if they buy him out right away, TB gets their captain back cheap, and we get the 3rd without cap penalty. Other wise he's here for at least a year, which I'm sure TB doesn't want, or he counts on the cap for a decade or 2, which TOR won't want.

Compliance buyouts can be used after next season as well.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Not assuming for a second that this deals goes through...but interestingly enough. Who would the Leafs take at 3 ? Drouin is the consensus #3, but the Leafs need that potential 1 line center. Would the Leafs take Barkov over Drouin at 3 ?

Tough call. BPA is likely Drouin.

Maybe drop down a couple spots and gain a defensemen or something to get one of the centres?

Cool Hand Luke

May 27, 2008
My understanding is that we couldn't buy out Vinny until next off-season (player must be a member of your squad before the trade deadline of the year he is bought out). This would mean that Vinny would play one season with us, and then we could buy him out next off-season, which would allow him to re-sign with Tampa. That would be the only scenario that I could see him waiving his NMC for, that being a guarantee that he would be able to return to Tampa after this season.

If this is the case, brilliant move by Nonis. We get a stop-gap #1C and draft Barkov who is our future #1C. I imagine it would be for our 1st this year, our 2nd next year, Grabovski and Gunnarsson or Liles.

Oh, and if we truly want Barkov, we need the #3, because there is no way Nashville gives us the #4. They would want him just as badly.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
don't think its collusion because its Lecalvier's choice to sign anywhere after being bought out. He doesn't have to resign with TB, if he does the Leafs can't do anything about it

Primary Assist

Jul 7, 2010
don't think its collusion because its Lecalvier's choice to sign anywhere after being bought out. He doesn't have to resign with TB, if he does the Leafs can't do anything about it

True, but I brought up collusion after someone mentioned that the only way this deal happens is if there's a prior agreement that Vinny will re-sign immediately with Tampa

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
The sweetest would be if we could do it without giving up the #21 pick.

That way you walk away with Drouin / Barkov / Mackinnon (sp?) AND Fucale / Lazar / solid D pick :handclap:

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
True, but I brought up collusion after someone mentioned that the only way this deal happens is if there's a prior agreement that Vinny will re-sign immediately with Tampa

That's TBs business

doesn't affect the Leafs

I guess the players are guys like Kulemin, Gunnar and Frattin
can't imagine its anyone making anything more than 3 mill otherwise it makes even less sense

If leafs get 3rd overall they have to take drouin.
I was thinking trade down as well but you get a shot at a talent like that and you have to take them

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Compliance buyouts can be used after next season as well.

That's not what I was getting at, this is:

My understanding is that we couldn't buy out Vinny until next off-season (player must be a member of your squad before the trade deadline of the year he is bought out). This would mean that Vinny would play one season with us, and then we could buy him out next off-season, which would allow him to re-sign with Tampa. That would be the only scenario that I could see him waiving his NMC for, that being a guarantee that he would be able to return to Tampa after this season.

If this is the case, brilliant move by Nonis. We get a stop-gap #1C and draft Barkov who is our future #1C. I imagine it would be for our 1st this year, our 2nd next year, Grabovski and Gunnarsson or Liles.

Oh, and if we truly want Barkov, we need the #3, because there is no way Nashville gives us the #4. They would want him just as badly.

This is what I thought as well. I'd like some clarity on that if someone knows for sure. If this is the case, I don't believe the rumour.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

I don't know the rule but hasn't the same thought been applied to Depietro?

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
That's not what I was getting at

I thought you meant we'd have to use a regular-course buy out if they did it next season, otherwise how would he count on the cap for TOR for a decade or two?

Or did you mean they'd have to use a regular-course buy out if they did it this summer?

Beleafer4

Apr 4, 2010
I would be very surprised if this happens...

Drouin can be MSL's long term replacement. Would tampa seriously give him up so they could sign lecavelier to a lesser contract and get 2 mid level talents?

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
Lecalvier 7.7, Malone 4.5 and 3rd for Frattin .925, Gunnar 2.75? + 21st + Prospect?

that's 8.5 mill in cap space
then their line up ends ups

Purcell/Stamkos/St Louis
Kulemin/Lecalvier/Frattin

Carle/Hedman
Gunnar/Aulie
Brewer/Gudas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese