LeBrun: LeBrun sees Vegas, Toronto and Calgary as best landing spots for Pietrangelo

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
Have you been to calgary in the winter? I feel like you haven't and are just taking edmonton reputation for bad winters and putting it onto calgary.
I live here in Calgary and have done so all my life....we can have brutal winters as well...of course we also have some moderate winters here and there as well....though I do not know how Calgary rates compared to Toronto in that area.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Hahahahaha millionaires don’t send their kids to public schools. Instead, their money gets them the best education money can by.

Yep, that's what I said earlier. The public school system is one of the biggest drawbacks to Vegas, and it doesn't apply to him (NVM that he would also likely live in Summerlin or the nicer areas of Henderson)

Reactions: axlrose87

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Whereever Pietrangelo signs, I think his cap hit and NMC structure is going to be very interesting.

Much has been publicized about his 4 very young kids and assumed desire for a full NMC. In selecting a destination, I actually don't think that being close to the grandparents is necessarily a requirement, what I think is more concerning, is that he doesn't want to wake up one day in mid-January 4-5 years from now, and have to uproot the lives of his three 6-7 year olds.

Doug Armstrong is an old school GM who's been at the helm of the blues for like 10 years. His "urgency to win today" is not going to get in the way of his principles as to what he feels is the right deal for a player. He doesn't give out signing bonuses, and doesn't give out full trade protection beyond the first 5 years when dealing with players that are going to be well into their 30s. Ultimately, I think that is the hill he will die on, and I do not believe Pietrangelo will sign there without a full NMC.

Enter Toronto & Las Vegas. Teams who's window to win is very much open right now -- and will probably sign a player in the interest of today and the next 2-3 years, knowing it's going to hurt in 4-5 years. Vegas did it with Mark Stone signing him to $9.5m X 8 years, with a full NMC; taking him to age 35. Toronto did it with John Tavares signing him to a $11 x 7 deal with a full NMC, also taking him to age 35.

If anyone is willing to do the same with a player that will be 38 at the end of his deal, I would imagine that it's going to be Toronto or Vegas. The question is -- do either / both of the GMs have the fortitude to hold their ground at something like $8m x 7 -- getting him into buying into a term that will allow his new team to retain some of the talent around him?

Kyle Dubas should have an easier job convincing him of that -- given the 3 massive contracts they already have and under which the foundation of the team is built... but has to contend with higher tax rates and the perception that "Eh, it's Toronto, they can afford anything, they're insulting me if they don't give me $10m". I think he also has to wonder whether he wants to face the pressure that goes along with playing in Toronto -- although he would have the benefit of being the 4th highest paid player on the team.

For McCrimmon, I think he's got a tougher time convincing Pietrangelo that "he can't make things work to pay him $9.5m. There's a lot of $4-6m players on the Knights... but on the flip side, he's got lower taxes, and less pressure. From a hockey standpoint however, I think playing alongside the likes of Matthews, Tavares, Marner & Rielly has to be more exciting than Stone, Pacioretty, Smith & Theodore.

Give Lebrun credit though... Calgary could be a real darkhorse candidate. They are in a little bit of a re-tool right now, but they've got tons of cap flexibility, AP would be an incredible fit amongst their remaining top 4, and they have some fairly young and dynamic talent up front with Tkachuk, Gaudreau, Lindholm & Monahan. I'm just not sure they have enough coming through the pipeline up front.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
Your watching way to much media...the U.S. is easily still a top 10 place to live in spite of the BLM and Antifa nonsense of the last few months.....however I am getting concerned about living in Canada....we are treading in a bad way up here.....I am sure
Pietrangelo has enjoyed his stay in St. Louis and will continue to do so......
American media is like a slow acting poison.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
Your bottom six may hit, but Monahan, Gaudreau, Lindholm, Backlund etc disappear in playoff hockey! Softer than Charmin!

I think he’d rather take his chances with the skill in Toronto or the playoff proven squad on his current team than take the bigger bucks to go live in Calgary...
I’m pretty sure his wife and young children will be more important to than the lackluster hitting of the Flames’ top six or the extra skill of Toronto who are in no better shape going forward than the Flames. I mean heck, the Flames actually got past the play in round and put up a decent fight against the current Stanley Cup finalists whereas the Leafs couldn’t even defeat the Panarin-less Blue Jackets.

Reactions: CF84 and Nanuuk

Ledge And Dairy

Your bottom six may hit, but Monahan, Gaudreau, Lindholm, Backlund etc disappear in playoff hockey! Softer than Charmin!

I think he’d rather take his chances with the skill in Toronto or the playoff proven squad on his current team than take the bigger bucks to go live in Calgary...
LMAO another ironic bad take. Talking about how he wont go to a team because they are "soft" even though I just proved Calgary is not wrong. Then once again stating Toronto is the better fit. Monahan and Gaudreau had 8 points and 7 points respectively this playoffs, Lindholm and Backlund with 6. They only played 1 more game than St. Louis too. ROR and Perron were the only members of the Blues above 6 points in those 9 games.

Again he likely pulls a Stamkos and resigns but the rest of what you are saying is completely troll.

lets look at hits for a second
CGY - 10 games played
Bennett = 54 hits
Lindholm = 37 hits
Mangiapane = 32 hits
Lucic = 30 hits
Dube = 25 hits
Rinaldo = 22 hits (5 games played)
Rieder = 20 hits
Monahan = 20 hits
Backlund = 19 hits
Hanifin = 19 hits
Tkachuk = 14 hits (6 games played)
that's 5 top 6 forwards 3 3rd line forwards, 2 4th liner, and a defense

STL - 9 games played
Schenn = 35 hits
Faulk = 31 hits
Blais = 25 hits (8 games played)
Sanford = 23 hits
Schwartz = 18 hits
De la Rose = 17 hits (5 games played)
Sundqvist = 17 hits
Barbashev = 15 hits (3 games played)
Bozak = 15 hits (8 games played)
Perron = 15 hits
MacEachern = 14 hits (5 games played)
thats 4 top 6 players, 3 3rd liners, 3 4th liners, and a defense

Sounds to me like Calgary's top 6 was more physical

Last edited:

razor ray

May 8, 2011
He will make enough his kids could go to whatever school he wants, he could buy his parents a home whenever they want, etc etc.
Also when you live in the most expensive neighborhoods in any American city I’m not sure how it’s “toxic” but ok. Perhaps it’s very toxic for the people kissing your ass too much at the private country club or high end restaurant....maybe at the car dealership when you can buy any car you want. Maybe wash your behind I guess.

Ledge And Dairy

I live here in Calgary and have done so all my life....we can have brutal winters as well...of course we also have some moderate winters here and there as well....though I do not know how Calgary rates compared to Toronto in that area.
Toronto winters can suck, shit tons of snow due to the lake. Not as bad as Buffalo but not good either.

Reactions: Sam Pollock

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Is it though? $13.5M & $7M caphits over 2 seasons in a flat cap world. BTW, ~20+ teams have internal caps now due to C-19, + several more w/o cap leaves ~5-7 teams with cap...suddenly musical chairs & voila, desperate times for some GM's.

The entire landscape & trade value paradigm has shifted to buyers (capspace teams), not sellers (desperate noncapspace teams).

Also Fleury is an expensive, aging 1B/good backup. Statsny 2c/3c tweener, decent but aging. Both long in the tooth, serviceable.

Tomas Tatar fetched a 1st/2nd/3rd, so my example isn't out of the realm of possibilities at all, certainly within reason.

Both have NTC's, I can't see either of them being super interested in joining a rebuilding team at this stage of their careers. I believe Stastney is still looking to win a cup.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I feel like it would totally mess up Toronto’s cap if he signed there. I just don’t see how that works, he’s not giving them a discount when he has zero ties to that team. That would mean half their cap is tied up in 4 players.

Vegas could make sense but at the same time, what are they doing with Fleury? Who’s taking him and how much cap can they clear?

Calgary makes some sense, it would mean Brodie and Hamonic are gone which is fine because they still have Andersson. But it’s also scary to commit that much cap to a player but if he signs for around 9, I would probably lock him up.

Myself I think STL is the best fit.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009

I live in Alberta as well and calgary has never struck me as a place to avoid in the winter, especially compared to somewhere like winnipeg. But an hour away from calgary you have one of the nicest spots on the planet. As for how they compare to ontario, Alberta is dry and ontario is wet, for a winter you'd much prefer the dry air.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
I doubt that he comes to Calgary for cap reasons as well as I doubt the Flames are a serious contender anytime soon.

That being said the winters really aren't that bad. Even in the super cold 2-4 weeks that come every year there isn't much humidity, the sun is usually shining and a chinook blows in regularly to warm things up. Calgary is regularly ranked in the top cities to live in, it's clean and has low crime. Not a hot spot for young single guys but a good place to raise a family.

Reactions: Nanuuk

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
The key is offseason. Nobody wants to live there in the Winter.

Clearly you haven't been here the past decade. It barely snows anymore and when it does the snow usually is gone within a few days because of our chinooks. At most we get 2-3 weeks where it gets really cold (-30) and it is fairly mild most of the time. Calgary is not the prototypical "Canadian Winter".

Also, if Brodie is bailing, yes to Pietrangelo.

I see him re-signing though if the Blues continue to cut cap space to fit him in. Why the f*** did they ever trade and then sign Faulk to that absurd contract?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Not hard for the Leafs to clear enough cap space. Almost guaranteed he signs with the Leafs and at a lower cap hit than people expect.

Even if you move out Andersen and Kerfoot you will have 7 roster spots to fill with $14 million in cap space. Subtract Pietro at $9.5 million and you have $4.5 million for a starting goalie and a number of depth forwards. It actually isn't at all easy to move out salary, sign Pietro and flesh out the rest of the roster.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Just listened to the clip, he was talking about teams trading for AP's rights so they can give him an 8th year.

Unless I'm mistaken a team has to hold those rights at the previous trade deadline in order to offer 8 years. Either I"m remember it wrong, they changed that rule or LeBrun is talking out his rear.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Vegas be dumb if they'd chose to go for Pietrangelo.

Would bomb the development of both Whitecloud and Hague,
who are key pieces (should be), with Theodore, of the Golden Knights d core for years to come.
- not to mention 2019 early 2nd round pick Keadan Korczak, who holds loads of potential

Reactions: CookiesAndMilk

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019

who are key pieces (should be), with Theodore, of the Golden Knights d core for years to come.
- not to mention 2019 early 2nd round pick Keadan Korczak, who holds loads of potential
I don't think any of these prospects project to be a #1 defenseman? I get your point, depth, but I think a top-pairing of Pietroangelo+Theodore would be killer...

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012

LOL what? They should not sign a top 10 D in the entire league because they have Whitecloud and a couple of other guys who might not ever be NHL players?

Whitecloud keeps progressing he can become the 2nd pair RD behind Petro. And if Hague and Korczak pan out that's a great problem to have.

Schmidt-Petro
Theo-Whitecloud

Looks a lot better than ever having to see Mcnabb on a 1st pair again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad