TSN: Lebrun: Re-signing Jake Gardiner still an option

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Exactly this. I'm pretty sure we wouldn't want to lose Dermott to the draft so we would only look a acquiring a top 4 Dman if we're saying goodbye to Gardiner (which is probably the case).

It's almost certainly the case. Muzzin also gives the other young D in the organization another year to develop and give us a clearer idea of what we have behind Rielly.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Well since he played his jr hockey as a winger and was switched because of team need at the time I would expect a relatively flat curve . I guess it's been a relatively short and cloistered life there lifelonghockeyfan

Sorry if haven't seen any games east of the Rockies. I would have assumed the Leafs would have placed in Gardiner in best position on defence. Leafs have lots of LWers, and don't need to pay an average to poor winger 5m year. Do you know the NHL has changed to a salary cap league?

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
This is an assumption based on Marleau only caring about money, and not about winning a cup.

Something he's been chasing for 20 years.

I certainly thought Marleau would be chasing a Cup next year for the reason you suggest. Now I'm thinking with the acquisition of Muzzin the Leafs know Marleau will be retiring (and his cap traded). Marleau's declining play makes me think he will retire..which would his only reason. We'll see.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
I certainly thought Marleau would be chasing a Cup next year for the reason you suggest. Now I'm thinking with the acquisition of Muzzin the Leafs know Marleau will be retiring (and his cap traded). Marleau's declining play makes me think he will retire..which would his only reason. We'll see.

Could you elaborate on why you think the Muzzin trade is a precursor to a Marleau retirement?

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
Jake is gone, end of story. Please. He is a vet now, he will take the most money and run.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
For the fans sure.
But it’s never too early. If you aren’t thinking about Cap, contracts, asset management, UFA, expansion, why are you the GM.

Just hire a different guy every year.

In principle sure you're correct.

However the ultimate goal is the Stanley Cup and so if a GM prioritizes his responsibilities and goals then making decisions to try and win will supersede any potential expansion losses multiple years in the future.

A GM wouldn't/shouldn't make a deal that doesn't make his team better like Brett Pesce or afraid to resign a young player like Dermott to a multi-year contract in fear he can't protect that player down the road. IMO

Reactions: rumman

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Could you elaborate on why you think the Muzzin trade is a precursor to a Marleau retirement?

Again just my opinion and the math. Even before the the 4m Muzzin signing, the Leafs couldn't resign 7m of Dmen with vanishing contracts Hainsey and Gardiner. With Marleau, I would say 6m (Nylander) was going to have to traded with no money being returned to the Leafs. Now with Muzzin....it's 9m, has to go. With a traded 6.25m retired Marleau , Leafs have a much easier time jettisoning some cap money. Maybe just 3m
Marleau play the year up to all star game has severely eroded IMO. My thinking Marleau knows "he's done" and can't take the rigours of full NHL season next year.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Jake is gone, end of story. Please. He is a vet now, he will take the most money and run.
and so he should. I hope someone gives him a nice payday and he can help another team for the remainder of his career.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
KK at $2.75M per is your estimate or Bob McKenzie's?

If it's McKenzie's, that's actually encouraging given his generally cautious positions. If it's your estimate...Cor, I hope you're right. But I can't see KK coming in at Brown money. I see him somewhere in the middle, between Brown and Kadri: $3.5M/3yrs.

McKenzie had Kapanen at 2.5 and Johnsson at 2.25M IIRC

I have Kapanen at 2.5/2 or 3-3.5/3. Assume Leafs go lower term to keep the cap hit down. Same thing with Johnsson.

Reactions: Menzinger

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
Michael-scott-no-god-no.gif

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
Its good our GM still understands Gardiner is a very good d man. Won't be easy to keep him, but if Dubas trades Zaitsev and can send Marleau off, it could happen.

Problem is that no one is just going to take those players off of our hands for nothing. Either we're taking back salary as well or we're trading away picks/prospects with them.

Goleafsgo95

Jan 12, 2018
I really can't imagine a scenario that has Gardiner staying even if he does stay at the AAV for reasonable term.

Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Rielly, Andersen, and Nylander is the core and outside of those 6 players every penny needs to be spent wisely.

Kadri, Hyman, Muzzin, and Dermott make up a layer of quality, reasonably priced support players beneath that core. Marleau's experience may or may not be needed going into next year depending on how this year goes and considering we now have Tavares and Muzzin; obviously a 6.25M cap hit is too much, but he does bring a nice ingredient to the recipe and you can't just solely look at his on-ice play as he contributes off the ice as well.

Kapanen and Johnsson need to be resigned at reasonable figures as they are also key support players.

All of the above support players offer us a lot of versatility; special teams ability, defensive acumen, depth scoring.

Gardiner is a good player but proven to struggle in big game situations. We want to be in game big situations and big game situations are what actually matters; we will make the playoffs with or without Gardiner. Do we want to have a liability playing high up in our lineup in a game 7?

We have LD depth of Rielly-Muzzin-Dermott which is excellent, with Sandin as a top tier prospect in that position. We can't afford luxuries and Gardiner would be just that; we don't need him, and he could end up being a risk in big game situations. We need to be wise with the money we do have.

Obviously I am not privy to all the trade scenarios/FA options Dubas has/will have, but I really can't see Gardiner being the best fit. In a perfect world, Zaitsev finds himself, Liljegren steps into the 3rd pairing, and we add a Pesce-esque player; if not, we move Zaitsev, add a Pesce-esque player, add a stop-gap to hold Liljegren's 2nd pair spot for a few years (a Ron Hainsey type but ideally right handed).

We need to be wise with how we spend every penny outside of our core. Gardiner is not a very good option in that regard.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
I've been saying for a while that there is an easy was keep Jake if the Leafs think he's really part of their core.

1. Trade Nylander and Brown and a 3rd round pick to Carolina for Pesce, Saarela, Kuokannen and a 1st round pick.
2. Trade a 2nd round pick and Patrick Marleau to Arizona or Florida, with an agreement for them to buy him out and have him resign in Toronto for 1 year at $3 million.
3. Trade Zaitsev for whatever you can, to whomever you can.
4. Resign Gardiner at 4.75 million long term.
5. Bridge Johnsson and Kapanen.
6. Sign Michael Ferland as a free agent.

Johnsson (3.0) / Matthews (11.6) / Kapanen (3.5)
Hyman (2.25) / Tavares (11.0) / Marner (10.5)
Marleau (3.0) / Kadri (4.5) / Ferland (3.5)
Saarela (900k) / Gauthier (833k) / Moore (775k)
Kuokannen (750k)

Muzzin (4.0) / Reilly (5.0)
Gardiner (4.75) / Pesce (4.0)
Dermott (863k) / Rosen (750k)
Holl (675k)

Anderson (5.0)
Sparks (1.0)

Phil Kessel (1.5)

Total: $82,646,000

IMO, that's a better, more balanced team than Toronto puts on the ice right now, with a couple more million to play with if the cap winds up being higher than $83,000,000. Also, you add another 1st round pick to keep your prospect pool rich, or to ship in season if you want to upgrade closer to the deadline. As well, you land a couple of Carolina's best prospects in Kuokannen and Saarela. Kuokannen is a 6'1, 190lb C, LW who is close to a point per game in the AHL and has been really impressive. Saarela is a 23 year old 5'11, 185lb left wing who can really skate. He's leading Charlotte in scoring at a near point per game clip and will be NHL ready heading into next season. Both prospects easily project into the top 9 heading forward and I think Carolina would be willing to ship them for a upper tier talent to play with Aho and it leaves them with their top center prospect in their system in Julian Gauthier (former 1st rounder).

There are so many things wrong with that I don't know where to begin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad