TSN: Lebrun: Re-signing Jake Gardiner still an option

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Found this interesting. The way things are being talked about, it appears Gardiner really wants to stay here, and is willing to work on the AAV to make it happen.

It was reported previously that Gardiner was willing to take an AAV that worked for TOR in exchange for term. However that was before Matthews got 11.7, and before Marner was poised to get 10+ as well.

Reactions: stickty111

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Jake will you take league min and a 8 year deal?

I do wonder if Gardiner is willing to keep his 4M cap hit, to extend his tenure here on a 6 to 8 year deal.

The main thing for me, is if our management team are still looking at extending Gardiner, then they have to be confident that they can shed Zaitsev or Marleau's cap hits.... or even both.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
I do wonder if Gardiner is willing to keep his 4M cap hit, to extend his tenure here on a 6 to 8 year deal.

The main thing for me, is if our management team are still looking at extending Gardiner, then they have to be confident that they can shed Zaitsev or Marleau's cap hits.... or even both.

Or Mitch is signed to a three year deal @ 8 million then Connor Brown is traded in the offseason. There's your 4 mill

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
I think that's impossible.

They have $16M to sign Mitch, Kappy, Johnsson, and 2 forwards and 2 defense. They might have to clear some salary to do that. There is no way they can sign Gards even if they get rid of Brown and Zaitsev.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Only way it happens is if 2 things happen:

1 - He takes a significant paycut but with term. I suggested this before, but give him a 7-8 year contract with a ~5M cap hit. Small raise, a lot of security and gives us a damn good defenseman long-term. Still very much tradable in the future. I assume it would take a NMC to make that happen though, which would complicate the trade market.

2- Marleau disappears somehow, whether that's a random LTIR injury or he gets traded (Yes, yes yes yes yes I know). Even with a discount from Gardiner, this can't happen without significant payroll reductions. Zaitsev is gone regardless of Gardiner staying or not.

If neither of those happen, he's not staying.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Not surprised. I'm sure everyone assumed they would prefer to keep him if they were able.
Able, is the question.

Reactions: zaqq and 1specter

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
7-8 years at 5 million would be manageable.

Good luck. Half the fan base is sitting around booing his every move. Why the heck would Jake Gardiner want to stay here now? Why? He is going to hit the market now because of the dummies that got the boo ball rolling.

Reactions: Its not your fault

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Jake will you take league min and a 8 year deal?
:laugh: and play on the third pairing with some PP time. Deslugifying this roster from the old guard has taken long enough. Phaneuf, Bozak, JVR, Komorov,
Martin, Gards....enough already.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Be nice not to lose him for nothing
They'd have to do some shuffling though - Zaitsev out for sure, Brown...... and it may not be popular but I just don't think they keep Nylander

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Or Mitch is signed to a three year deal @ 8 million then Connor Brown is traded in the offseason. There's your 4 mill

I think that's impossible.

They have $16M to sign Mitch, Kappy, Johnsson, and 2 forwards and 2 defense. They might have to clear some salary to do that. There is no way they can sign Gards even if they get rid of Brown and Zaitsev.

Just did a rough estimate with Capfriendly. Assuming a cap of 83M (though McKenzie recently did a mock up with an 85M cap, which I found interesting)

- Marner, 6 years, 10.5M AAV
- Johnsson, Kapanen, 2 years, 2.75M AAV
- Gardiner, 8 years, 4M AAV
- Horton LTIR
- Marleau LTIR or somewhere
- Zaitsev traded for a pick

Leaves about 1.8Mish in cap room.

So it's possible if Gardiner doesn't get a raise, and Marleau and Zaitsev are moved.

ml4FJWY.png

I think Marleau moving is farfetched, so I did a scenario with him in the picture.

Marner is bridged, 3 years, 8M AAV
Zaitsev and Brown both dealt for picks
Leaves approx, 800K in cap room

abT75lL.png

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
This is why i think marleau is out.... I mean the kids are taking up money. And we are even talking to Jake? We will see but it’s the only way I can see it

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I'm ok with it as long as Marner stays in and we can get him a legit NHL defender on his right side. If we re-sign him and then do not get him defensive help we will hurt ourselves. But I don't think he is in the cards unless 1 year deal. Dermott will be ready in a year or 2 and Sandin is the real deal for the future on left side. I just do not get the hockey side of it.

Reactions: Faltorvo

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Based on the status quo, I can't see it happening. Zaitsev or Marleau would have to go this summer.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
Just did a rough estimate with Capfriendly. Assuming a cap of 83M (though McKenzie recently did a mock up with an 85M cap, which I found interesting)

- Horton LTIR

So it's possible if Gardiner doesn't get a raise, and Marleau and Zaitsev are moved.

ml4FJWY.png

I think Marleau moving is farfetched, so I did a scenario with him in the picture.

abT75lL.png

If Marleau gets moved then its possible. But I doubt Patty's going anywhere.

Reactions: Cor

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

Yeah. It certainly seems like that is still the plan. Moving out cap dollars for next summer, that is. Whether they can execute is another thing entirely. To move a Zaitsev they not only have to find a buyer, they'd also need a replacement. Personally, I'd use Dermott and call up Rosén, but I don't know if they feel the same.

Another thing worth noting is that Mirtle has reported that Gardiner's ask has been too high for the Leafs still, so I'm not holding out much hope.

At the end of the day, a lot of pundits at this time last year said it was entirely possible that the Leafs re-signed JVR and/or Bozak.

Dubas is just doing his home work, touching base with a player that is set to become UFA.
Most likely. It's good to have a framework in mind if for example the space opens up that it might be possible to retain Gardiner, even if it's very unlikely.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

- Horton LTIR

ml4FJWY.png

abT75lL.png

Gardiner is 100% getting a raise... to expect him to take a paycut is completely out of line.

Reactions: HellasLEAF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->