TSN: Lebrun: Re-signing Jake Gardiner still an option

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I've been saying for a while that there is an easy was keep Jake if the Leafs think he's really part of their core.

1. Trade Nylander and Brown and a 3rd round pick to Carolina for Pesce, Saarela, Kuokannen and a 1st round pick.
2. Trade a 2nd round pick and Patrick Marleau to Arizona or Florida, with an agreement for them to buy him out and have him resign in Toronto for 1 year at $3 million.
3. Trade Zaitsev for whatever you can, to whomever you can.
4. Resign Gardiner at 4.75 million long term.
5. Bridge Johnsson and Kapanen.
6. Sign Michael Ferland as a free agent.

Johnsson (3.0) / Matthews (11.6) / Kapanen (3.5)
Hyman (2.25) / Tavares (11.0) / Marner (10.5)
Marleau (3.0) / Kadri (4.5) / Ferland (3.5)
Saarela (900k) / Gauthier (833k) / Moore (775k)
Kuokannen (750k)

Muzzin (4.0) / Reilly (5.0)
Gardiner (4.75) / Pesce (4.0)
Dermott (863k) / Rosen (750k)
Holl (675k)

Anderson (5.0)
Sparks (1.0)

Phil Kessel (1.5)

Total: $82,646,000

IMO, that's a better, more balanced team than Toronto puts on the ice right now, with a couple more million to play with if the cap winds up being higher than $83,000,000. Also, you add another 1st round pick to keep your prospect pool rich, or to ship in season if you want to upgrade closer to the deadline. As well, you land a couple of Carolina's best prospects in Kuokannen and Saarela. Kuokannen is a 6'1, 190lb C, LW who is close to a point per game in the OHL and has been really impressive. Saarela is a 23 year old 5'11, 185lb left wing who can really skate. He's leading Charlotte in scoring at a near point per game clip and will be NHL ready heading into next season. Both prospects easily project into the top 9 heading forward and I think Carolina would be willing to ship them for a upper tier talent to play with Aho and it leaves them with their top center prospect in their system in Julian Gauthier (former 1st rounder).
Yes, this seems easy.

o_O

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
For the most part it looks like

In: Muzzin + Liljegren
Out: Hainsey + Gardiner

Not a bad tradeoff for next year.

Reactions: leuf

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
It should be, offer him 3 million for 4 years and leave it at that.

That said, market price should not be offered or paid to Jake.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Well had we saved the 500k on Nylander and the 2million we overpaid Matthews (based on 5 years) we probably could have fit Jakey boy on the team no problem.
Wow, smart thinking! All Dubas had to do was tell them to leave millions on the table, and then he could have given out a big UFA contract with the savings after they inevitably said yes. That's great asset management

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
For the most part it looks like

In: Muzzin + Liljegren
Out: Hainsey + Gardiner

Not a bad tradeoff for next year.

The problem is that it's pretty much going sideways. Keep Gardiner and we're so much better, really hope we can work it out somehow.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Wow, smart thinking! All Dubas had to do was tell them to leave millions on the table, and then he could have given out a big UFA contract with the savings after they inevitably said yes. That's great asset management

That or trade or explain to them that he is not worth that. If he tried to explain he has probably a couple dozen reasons.

I dont even care anymore. Watching the conyractual trainwreck in slow motion and laughing.

Ps. After 3 years if we have any jams i would trade Matthews.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Lebrun: Re-signing Jake Gardiner still an option

There is as much chance of Jake resigning with the Leafs as a supermodel leaves their husband/boyfriend and moves in with me.
Gee Lebrun, you had to say something so folks think you're such an insider.
I heard it from an agent yesterday at Coca Cola too. Personally I can't believe it when he told me what the deal could be. And I don't want Gards back. But Gards agent met with Dubas to discuss how Jake stays with team next year given the Leafs CAP issues. Jake wants to stay with team. Again I can't understand his thinking why when guys like me boooed him. But this guy Jake is so unusual in how he plays and thinks that man anything is possible. He is not a normal hockey guy. Where there is smoke there is usually a fire.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Its hard to imagine other than if Gardiner gives the Leafs a huge discount would they be able to re-sign and keep him beyond this year.

Only other option would be deal Zaitsev for futures and use that recaptured free space money to sign Jake.

Zaitsev is Leafs only real RHD so trading him does have its downside as well.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
The only way I see it working on paper is offering Gardiner full term (8 years) understanding that a 34, 35, 36 year old Gardiner at a $5M some-odd is an anchor to deal with later. If you think about, teams will be offering Gardiner up to $8M per year on 5 year deals this summer. After a deal like that is done Gardiner will probably be close to retirement (34 years old) unable to demand little more than a half or third his previous contract. So I'll do the math: 5 x ~$8M + 3 x ~$3M = ~$49M, ~$49M / 8 = ~$6M, hometown discount: $5.5M AAV over 8 seasons. Probably wishful thinking...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->