Lebrun: If Crosby wins another Stanley Cup, he will then become better than Toews

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
Crosby is just simply a better player than Toews. The amount of championships they have accrued shouldn't change that fact.

jedisports

Jul 4, 2012
Sub Crosby in for Toews... and the Blackhawks certainly still win those cups.

Sub Toews in for Crosby... I'm not so sure the Penguins win both cups.

Not to take anything from Toews... he's a hell of a player and he had a huge huge role in those cup wins.

That's a great way of looking at it.

Inkio

Jul 2, 2012
Lebrun thinking Toews is better than Crosby is like saying Toews is better than Lemieux or Jagr in his prime...

Toews has more cups that Lemieux does that make him better? No. Such a dumb statement.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Crosby ? MEH.

The Pens got lucky and won a cup in 2009.
Then Kessel came and they can't stop winning.

Fact.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Well, IF he's called a Top-5 player of all-time, then he IS (or WOULD BE) overrated.

I don't see Crosby as being generally overrated by people who are somewhat knowledgeable.

Well im pretty sure he's either in the top 5 or damn near it for overall points per game while playing in one of the most offensive depressing eras in NHL history.

Thats a pretty convincing case to be in the conversation at least.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Pretty sure Lebrun was talking about their accomplishments, not who is (finger quotes) "better" than the other.

Toews captained his team to 3 cups. That's the biggest accomplishment for any active player. Captaining a team to 3 cups, with two of them being back-to-back, is a bigger accomplishment.

Thus, Crosby would surpass Toews if he wins this cup.

Why is complaining everyone's default setting? Lebrun is right.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
Well duh, how many cups does Lemieux have? How many does Toews have? Both were 1C in their respective teams, Lemieux just couldn't get it done more than two times. Easily Toews > Lemieux :popcorn:

He couldn't get it done because 1) he had cancer and 2) his back hurt so much the trainer had to tie his skates.

"Mario Lemieux's 1992-93 season became one of the most remarkable for a professional athlete in the history of organized sport. Lemieux had missed more than 100 games with back problems in his career, but on Jan. 12, 1993, the Pittsburgh Penguins announced their 27-year-old superstar center had cancer.
When Mario Lemieux returned in March, he trailed Buffalo Sabres forward Pat LaFontaine by 12 points for the NHL scoring lead. Lemieux finished the season with 30 goals and 26 assists in 20 games -- a 229-point projection over the course of a full season -- to pass LaFontaine and capture the Art Ross Trophy by 12 points.

Lemieux finished with 69 goals and 160 points in 60 games."

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
No kidding Lebrun you think? When was Crosby not better than Toews. In fact... when was Crosby never anything but the best in the world. Things like this is why Toews gets such a bad rap here.

2005-2006 Not even close to Thornton or Jagr. (or Lidström)
2007-2010 Ovechkin was viewed as the better player by most (I don't necessarily agree because I think Malkin was better 2009)
2011-2012 Malkin

Note that I left out 2006-2007 because Ive never seen anyone question Crosby as number 1 that year.

And i stoped after 2012 because Crosby have been viewed as the best most time since then, time under Johnston excluded.

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
Crosby is too 5 all time. And In before the nostalgia old person bias where they can't comprehend that Yzerman and Frederic weren't "way better" than Crosby. He's top 5 and there's no argument

Crosby isn't top 5, there's clearly an argument. And it's not Yzerman, nor people having witnessed Yzerman are "old persons". If you think Crosby is 5th and Yzerman/Sakic are 6th/7th, you have no knowledge of hockey history.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Crosby surpassed Yzerman and Sakic a long time ago.. I believe he is about to pass Messier too.

As for Toews well.. he isn't even in the top 2 of Blackhawks of this era..

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Crosby surpassed Yzerman and Sakic a long time ago.. I believe he is about to pass Messier too.

As for Toews well.. he isn't even in the top 2 of Blackhawks of this era..

Crosby has messier in his rear view easily at this point . The only players clearly ahead of crosby at this point are lemieux, gretzky, Orr and howe.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Crosby has messier in his rear view easily at this point . The only players clearly ahead of crosby at this point are lemieux, gretzky, Orr and howe.

I dunno, I agree Crosby will pass him but at this time it still a little iffy about Moose.

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec

There's no rational argument to say Crosby has had a greater career so far than Jagr, Bourque, Harvey, Béliveau, Hasek, Richard, Roy and many others. Crosby played at a prime-Jagr level between 2010 and 2013, but was injured for more than half of that time, so we will never know if he could sustain it. In the preceding season and the following season, he had 100-110 pts. That's really good, but no where near top 5 all-time.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
Pretty sure Lebrun was talking about their accomplishments, not who is (finger quotes) "better" than the other.

Toews captained his team to 3 cups. That's the biggest accomplishment for any active player. Captaining a team to 3 cups, with two of them being back-to-back, is a bigger accomplishment.

Thus, Crosby would surpass Toews if he wins this cup.

Why is complaining everyone's default setting? Lebrun is right.

Yup, just like Dustin Brown = Sidney Crosby. Again... if your analysis requires nothing more than being able to count to 3, then it's not really analysis and it's not even worth stating.

vwg*

Nov 16, 2005
Krasnoyarsk
Maybe ESPN was right to drop him after all. No hockey coverage is better than listening to hockey "reporters" give completely inane opinions such as this.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
There's no rational argument to say Crosby has had a greater career so far than Jagr, Bourque, Harvey, Béliveau, Hasek, Richard, Roy and many others. Crosby played at a prime-Jagr level between 2010 and 2013, but was injured for more than half of that time, so we will never know if he could sustain it. In the preceding season and the following season, he had 100-110 pts. That's really good, but no where near top 5 all-time.

Jagr never had a dominant deep playoff run. Crosby is in the midst of his fourth and may very well win back to back Smythes. Crosby has been the MAN in stanley cup runs jagr never has.... His two cups came him riding in the backseat to arguably the best player ever having 2 of the most dominant playoffs ever.

Crosby>jagr

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad