News Article: Lebreton...Interesting...NCC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Lots of rumours about Melnyk's health rapidly failing and the Penguins, a team in a weak market and a not great near-future outlook (Crosby is starting to fade and Malkin is q UFA), selling for almost a billion means the time to sell is now.

I'm worried about someone buying the team to move it though.
Where are these rumours of his health issue's?

Ralph Malfredsson

PhD in indiscreet street haggling
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2008
Lots of rumours about Melnyk's health rapidly failing and the Penguins, a team in a weak market and a not great near-future outlook (Crosby is starting to fade and Malkin is q UFA), selling for almost a billion means the time to sell is now.

I'm worried about someone buying the team to move it though.
Can I ask where the rumours are about his health failing?

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Do I remember correctly that his kids have little to no interest in the owning the team?

Eugene has always talked about wanting to leave the team to his kids as a legacy, but if they have zero interest in the team things may change on that front.

If his health is starting to fail, it’s sometimes a thing that people will do; settle their affairs. Sometimes it’s cleaning out the storage room and having a garage sale, and sometimes it might be dealing with the sale of an NHL team ‘properly’ so that the kids who have no interest in the team, and perhaps aren’t business people, don’t have to deal with it.

Pure speculation, but the team/organization has been weird lately. Definitely spending on the long term assets to keep them in place, while not really doing much in the short term in terms of spending. The notion that the team needs an new arena and that it’s open to new locations has been floated out, and there have slowly been some execs hired to fill key roles.

And now silence…..

Reactions: Yak and Jeff Winger

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
He did receive a liver transplant and it's been over 5 years iirc. You really just need to read up on some statistics to know the odds of a long life are reduced significantly.

ksens

Mar 8, 2006
Melnyk sells the team. The new owners are people who can actually make an arena deal with the NCC and other layers of government instead of just piss them off, and we have a new arena downtown in the next 5 years. And they simultaneously flush Dorion and anyone he has hired down the toilet and bring in a competent front office.

The dream. I want to believe.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
This rumor of him selling has been dangled infront of us way too much. Until it actually happens it's all nonsense

Reactions: MiscBrah

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Someone posted he isn't looking well and I wanted to see it. Looked and didn't find anything as of late.
For sure, just adding that as we had read about it a lot when it was looking like a possible option for my mom. If you see the survival statistics it does not paint a rosy picture.

Ralph Malfredsson

PhD in indiscreet street haggling
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2008
He looks like he's in his 70s. For example, he's just 2 years old than Pierre McGuire.

assennayo
agreed - he's not jaundiced, doesn't act encephalopathic, doesn't look like he's had steroids (treatment for rejection). Maybe a bit catabolic but par for the course for age and his morbidity. Don't think the eye test matches him being in dire straits at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad