GDT: leaves @ COLORADO AVALANCHE - 2/24/24 - 5PM MT

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
I liked JT in Game 6 vs the Blues but yah im fine hes gone. Colton as a 3C is perfectly fine but the problem is hes being asked to play 2C because CMac refuses to address that issue since Kadri left.
With Nuke coming back and Lehky being moved around every where, we have the wingers for a 2nd line, we just need a real 2C. Getting one has to be the top priority.

After that, we need a goalie. Georgiev has regressed a lot this season, and we need some insurance. A bottom pair RHD and a 4C would be nice, but those should only come after.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Johansen and Colton won't be good enough for a 2C in the playoffs. Avs have to trade for one. It doesn't matter who they have to sacrifice to get it done. Bo, G , Manson, Mikko(only for a stud 2C with 1C potential) Ritchie anyone other than MacK and Makar should be on the table.

I get this, especially after a loss like this, but the problem is they have NO 2C. Any serviceable 2C would be a massive upgrade, and slot guys back into place, and help their depth.

Especially when Val comes back, and Lehky can move to the 2nd line with him, and LOC can move back with Colton and Wood on the 3rd. That's an entirely different team makeup than the one they have now.

As it its, the Colton line with Lehky is their 2nd line. Adding just two guys in Val and an average 2C even, would be such a huge upgrade to what they have now.

I really don't think they need to give up their best pieces to solve this problem.

Reactions: AllAboutAvs

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I’m convinced George’s tending style is less about being in position, and more about being just out of position enough to constantly try to make miracle saves.
hes a back up goalie. Always has been. Last season he was probably motivated to show New york but this season its clearly worn off. Actually it wore off in the Seattle series. He was shit in that series and it carried over into this season. Seriously, 4 goals against every f***in night.

Reactions: drhiii

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
The Sens situation is similar to the Avs in net. They cant get a save and neither can the Avs. Im just tired of 4 goals against every f***in time with fourgiev. How does anyone have any confidence this guy can get the Avs to a cup when the Avs arent nearly as deep as they were 2 yrs ago? This aint the same team that can bully other teams offensively and defensively where they can get away with having a mediocre goalie. They need an actual starter these days.
Well to be fair they’ve won quite a lot with a dreadful goalie. Team might actually be fine with one that is legitimately mediocre. They just have to not be a backup masquerading as a starter

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Does anyone here honestly think this is a cup winning roster?

Maybe with heavy investment, the Avs don´t believe in that though.
It’s not a cup winning roster, even if they get Landy and Nuke back, unless Georgiev suddenly becomes a 920 goalie, but if they get a good 2C, get Nuke and Landy back, and a solid back up goalie who can win games when needed, it can be a cup winning team. I’m just not sure all of that is gonna happen this year

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
I get this, especially after a loss like this, but the problem is they have NO 2C. Any serviceable 2C would be a massive upgrade, and slot guys back into place, and help their depth.

Especially when Val comes back, and Lehky can move to the 2nd line with him, and LOC can move back with Colton and Wood on the 3rd. That's an entirely different team makeup than the one they have now.

As it its, the Colton line with Lehky is their 2nd line. Adding just two guys in Val and an average 2C even, would be such a huge upgrade to what they have now.

I really don't think they need to give up their best pieces to solve this problem.
The market for a 2C is just too expensive right now. No one is going to give us one for less than a premium package. This hole was made by our GM. I'd much rather they be trying to fill a replacement for Manson than Kadri right now, but that's not how things shook out.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I have more of an issue with Girard than Manson, because Bertuzzi is on his side. If Manson gets tied up with Bertuzzi, that leaves Nylander and Reilly alone to do whatever they want on the right side.

No idea why Girard decided to chase. Nylander is no threat behind the goal.

It was a combination of errors for sure.

Kind of like the other goal with Cale going down too early and sliding out of the way, which forced Bo to make a desperation slide play to prevent the 2 on 0 pass, but he slid too far and bumped into Georgiev.

Always mistakes with this team. They just can't seem to clean it up.

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
The Oilers can overtake them in points aswell if they keep this up. Oilers have 5 games in hand so if they Avs continue to drop games the way they have its actually a very real possible that the Oilers overtake them which would be hilarious when everyone here was counting the Oilers out in October.
That was an early season overreaction. Their goaltending has improved significantly though

Reactions: The Kingslayer

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
With Nuke coming back and Lehky being moved around every where, we have the wingers for a 2nd line, we just need a real 2C. Getting one has to be the top priority.

After that, we need a goalie. Georgiev has regressed a lot this season, and we need some insurance. A bottom pair RHD and a 4C would be nice, but those should only come after.
Thats why its so frustrating. The problem has been there ever since he got promoted and hes done nothing to fix it. Honestly, he would have been better off retaining ERod instead of bringing a slow, overweight lazy f*** like Johansen.

On the goalie front its a little harder to do. I dont know which team is willing to give up their starter without a huge ask in return. Im sure theres a deal that can be made but its going to take risk and CMac doesnt do risk at all. Kinda miss Sherman. That guy came in addressed defense and goaltending right away. Gave up Shattenkirk and an unprotected 1st rounder to get it done. Balls. Both moves panned out for the Avs imo. Varly gave the Avs solid goaltending for years and EJ was a top pairing dman for the Avs for years.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
The market for a 2C is just too expensive right now. No one is going to give us one for less than a premium package. This hole was made by our GM. I'd much rather they be trying to fill a replacement for Manson than Kadri right now, but that's not how things shook out.

They should be able to get something serviceable IMO with a 1st + a prospect not named Ritchie + someone like Meyers.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
I have more of an issue with Girard than Manson, because Bertuzzi is on his side. If Manson gets tied up with Bertuzzi, that leaves Nylander and Reilly alone to do whatever they want on the right side.

No idea why Girard decided to chase. Nylander is no threat behind the goal.
Nylander fooled everyone on that play. I don't know why G decided to chase him there. Maybe because the shift lasted so long? Either way he played that terribly. If he wants to chase, he absolutely can't let that pass through, and that's just what he did. Georgiev also needs to be more alert there. Just out to lunch looking the wrong way. The focus by everyone as a whole has been horrid.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006

We have 400K in cap space. Maybe CMac can go shopping for 2C, goalie and the other things Avs need in dollar only stores

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Well to be fair they’ve won quite a lot with a dreadful goalie. Team might actually be fine with one that is legitimately mediocre. They just have to not be a backup masquerading as a starter
Mackinnon is having an MVP season. Hes masked a ton of problems including the sieve in the Avs net. Makar was having a Norris season up until December. Mackinnon did all he could to beat the leafs and Fourgiev tonight but he couldnt. Close but he couldnt.

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
who knew leafs fans traveled… back to the old days where were the minority fan base at home

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Nylander fooled everyone on that play. I don't know why G decided to chase him there. Maybe because the shift lasted so long? Either way he played that terribly. If he wants to chase, he absolutely can't let that pass through, and that's just what he did. Georgiev also needs to be more alert there. Just put to lunch looking the wrong way. The focus by everyone as a whole has been horrid.
It was very odd. Girard starts to chase but also has no mechanism to defend a potential pass. Not sure what he thought he'd accomplish.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
We have 400K in cap space. Maybe CMac can go shopping for 2C, goalie and the other things Avs need in dollar only stores
We have to move people out for sure. Johansen+ Manson would be 8.5 million. Maybe even LTIR Nuke and just tell him to wait for the playoffs, that 14.5 million.

twostroke2023

Dec 15, 2023
We have to move people out for sure. Johansen+ Manson would be 8.5 million. Maybe even LTIR Nuke and just tell him to wait for the playoffs, that 14.5 million.
I was under the impression that nuke couldn’t get cap relief from player assistance. Am I wrong?

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
It was very odd. Girard starts to chase but also has no mechanism to defend a potential pass. Not sure what he thought he'd accomplish.
Similar to the GWG in the Detroit game. Guys chasing. When you see that it usually means they are doing to much. When they are doing to much it usually means they dont trust their goalie. Felt like Girard was trying to stop Nylander from getting going and forgot the guy in front. Thats basic stuff they taught us in peewee. The man in front is the dangerous one. I used to f*** up like this when we had a shitty goalie.

Reactions: dahrougem2

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
They’re not trading Manson. RyJo will be very hard to move for a team that doesn’t like giving up assets too much. You think CMac is gonna trade a 1st to get rid of RyJo and admit he made a big mistake? I don’t think so. Also doesn’t the league look into players being put on LTIR? How can they do that with Nuke when he’s not injured?

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Similar to the GWG in the Detroit game. Guys chasing. When you see that it usually means they are doing to much. When they are doing to much it usually means they dont trust their goalie. Felt like Girard was trying to stop Nylander from getting going and forgot the guy in front. Thats basic stuff they taught us in peewee. The man in front is the dangerous one. I used to f*** up like this when we had a shitty goalie.

It’s the pressure of trying to prevent a shot from happening at all, as compared to trying to eliminate high danger chances and let the goalie make the save. George has shown he can’t play that way and now the whole team is playing weird and only emphasizing that more.

It’s like when a guy comes back from injury but you can still tell he’s worried about it. Trying to prevent getting hurt again usually only puts you in that awkward position to get hurt again

drhiii

Beat Navy.
Apr 25, 2014
Compher was absolutely not important. Regular season players don't matter. Compher was shit in the playoffs. Guys like that just ultimately hurt your team. He'll put up 55 points in the regular season, trick your GM into thinking they have a 2C and ghost you in the playoffs. They're the absolute worst thing for a team.
I felt he was important, and could identify other past players, for their roles. His role imo was way beyond 55 points. But that's a debate for another time.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
They’re not trading Manson. RyJo will be very hard to move for a team that doesn’t like giving up assets too much. You think CMac is gonna trade a 1st to get rid of RyJo and admit he made a big mistake? I don’t think so. Also doesn’t the league look into players being put on LTIR? How can they do that with Nuke when he’s not injured?
When G was in the players assistance program, some of the guys covering the Avs talked about putting G on LTIR for cap relief. So it can be done. The grey zone of whether or not Nuke needs that much time is the same as what Vegas is doing with Stone every year.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Does anyone here honestly think this is a cup winning roster?

Maybe with heavy investment, the Avs don´t believe in that though.
No. Whatever the Avs do it wont matter unless they can get a legit 2C that can play in all situations like Kadri. Another scoring winger on top of the 2C in the mold of a Burakovsky that can push LOC or Wood down to the 4th line. A penalty killing 4C. Perhaps another dman that can make JJ not an everyday dman and oh yah a starting goalie that doesnt allow 4 goals every game. You do all those things and you have a chance at getting a cup if not you wont be sniffing a cup. The Avs currently constructed are barely a playoff team. If Nuke comes back and doesnt miss a beat they will make the playoffs in spite of all the roster holes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad