GDT: leaves @ COLORADO AVALANCHE - 2/24/24 - 5PM MT

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Every goalie lets in soft goals. .921SV% doesn't lie. Statically the Avs aren't really giving up much more this year than the cup year.

I disagree on that last part. I'm not saying Kuemper wasn't better than Georgie, he might have been, but that team played so much better in front of their goalie than this one.

They weren't neraly as mistakes prone as this year's Avs, and they were such a power house offensively, they could outscore any mistakes and soft goals they gave up.

It's also a recipe for disaster with save %, because this year's team doesn't give up that many shots, but they just have these lapses and mistakes that just kill them with grade A chances at the worst time.

Look at Kuemper's save % this year on a team that doesn't play well in front of him. It's .894.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
He's got an .898 save percentage though this year. .893 last year and .892 the year before.

We sure that's an upgrade?
.898 on that San Jose team yah thats an upgrade over .899 Georgiev. If you wanna go dumpster diving for a back up that can push Georgiev then Blackwood seems like a decent get. Cant really think of anyone else with that low of a cap hit that the Avs can get. I dont think CMac would get rid of fourgiev at the TDL but if they did do that then yah you certainly want to bring in someone whose a clear upgrade over the sieve the Avs have. Someone like Saros hell maybe even someone like Ingram.

I missed the game, should I feel pissed off or not?
if you watched this game you would be really pissed lol

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I missed the game, should I feel pissed off or not?
Depends, thought we played ok outside of the usual suspects. George let us down at bad times. RyJo was piss poor again. Rants had a miserable over the glass penalty that basically cost us the game with 4 mins left. No depth scoring really, even though Cogs had a goal it was directly setup by 29 and 96.

Sadly if we want to win games players other than 29 have to give us something and George had to learn to save pucks or we are screwed.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
.898 on that San Jose team yah thats an upgrade over .899 Georgiev. If you wanna go dumpster diving for a back up that can push Georgiev then Blackwood seems like a decent get. Cant really think of anyone else with that low of a cap hit that the Avs can get. I dont think CMac would get rid of fourgiev at the TDL but if they did do that then yah you certainly want to bring in someone whose a clear upgrade over the sieve the Avs have. Someone like Saros hell maybe even someone like Ingram.

Maybe, and perhaps if he was a rental, but an additional problem is he's got another year at $2.35M with three years in a row of a sub .900 save %.

Not sure the Avs can take that gamble next year with their cap situation. They need every penny they can get if Landy comes back.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
He's got an .898 save percentage though this year. .893 last year and .892 the year before.

We sure that's an upgrade?
The options are really limited. All the Jake Allen talk, but he also hasn’t seen a 900 save percentage for couple of years. MAF is also sub 900. That’s the problem with goaltending. You really don’t know what you gonna get unless you have someone like Hellebuyck who makes over 8 mill

Last edited:

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
That Marner goal cant happen in ball hockey let alone the NHL
I mean, he's not a great goalie, but I do believe he was a worthy gamble and showed for the most part last season that he can play to the level the Avs need to win. And then the playoffs came around. I don't know if that's what broke him, but he's been unable to string together anything resembling a stretch of good, or even satisfactory, play this season. I guess what I'm saying is that I don't think he's a good goalie, but I don't think he's as bad as he's been showing either.

I'm not really trying to defend him though, rather just suggesting that if we can't afford to upgrade, maybe the Avs could lead the league and be one of the first to have a team sports psychologist.

Something will have to give though, unless we win the cup this season, he really shouldn't be the starter going into next.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I mean, he's not a great goalie, but I do believe he was a worthy gamble and showed for the most part last season that he can play to the level the Avs need to win. And then the playoffs came around. I don't know if that's what broke him, but he's been unable to string together anything resembling a stretch of good, or even satisfactory, play this season. I guess what I'm saying is that I don't think he's a good goalie, but I don't think he's as bad as he's been showing either.

I'm not really trying to defend him though, rather just suggesting that if we can't afford to upgrade, maybe the Avs could lead the league and be one of the first to have a team sports psychologist.

Something will have to give though, unless we win the cup this season, he really shouldn't be the starter going into next.
Hes a solid backup just like Grubauer.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I remember this time last year Avs were playing shitty hockey, losing games and we were wondering if players were sending CMac a message that they needed some help. Luckily CMac put everyone’s minds at ease by getting Eller. I gotta say, I’m not really worried

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Depends, thought we played ok outside of the usual suspects. George let us down at bad times. RyJo was piss poor again. Rants had a miserable over the glass penalty that basically cost us the game with 4 mins left. No depth scoring really, even though Cogs had a goal it was directly setup by 29 and 96.

Sadly if we want to win games players other than 29 have to give us something and George had to learn to save pucks or we are screwed.
We're screwed.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
The options are really limited. All the Jake Allen talk, but he also hasn’t seen a 900 save percentage for couple of years. MAF is also sub 900. That’s the problem with goaltending. You really don’t know what you gonna get unless you have someone like Hellebuyck who makes over 8 mill

Yeah, Georgiev aside, I really think the new rules taking away long time tools for defenseman like cross checks, hooks, holds, etc, have had an impact on goalie's save % in general too.

With the goals going up every year the save percentage has to go down, because the shot totals have remained about the same.

I made a dumb joke a little while back about this that @RoyIsALegend side eyed me for, but just look at the goals and save percentage the last few years, especially after they introduced the new cross checking enforcement in 2021-22.

SeasonShots Per GameGoalsSave %
2015-1629.62.71.915%
2016-1730.12.77.913%
2017-1831.82.97912%
2018-1931.33.01.910%
2019-2031.33.02.910%
2020-2129.82.94908%
2021-2231.43.14.907%
2022-2331.13.18904%
2023-2430.33.12904%

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I remember this time last year Avs were playing shitty hockey, losing games and we were wondering if players were sending CMac a message that they needed some help. Luckily CMac put everyone’s minds at ease by getting Eller. I gotta say, I’m not really worried

I know jokes....

but the bold move would have been to sell JTC and ERod at the deadline. I was only half-joking in those comments last season.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
I am hoping that CMac learned enough from last year NOT to do an in between periods interview (on Altitude) and telling fan that "he's working on in and they will will be making a deal - if there's one out there".

Rough paraphrasing but he did that last year and I knew then nothing really helpful was gonna result.

The numbers probably don't support this but it's my impression that the good players get taken up early and the longer this goes on, the less likely that real help will arrive.

So it should have happened by now.

Which means Parise was likely the move he made.

There will be no 2C. There will be no goaltender. If we are lucky, Nuke will return and possibly Landy. And maybe the Russian kid from what... the KHL?

That's my expectations.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I am hoping that CMac learned enough from last year NOT to do an in between periods interview (on Altitude) and telling fan that "he's working on in and they will will be making a deal - if there's one out there".

Rough paraphrasing but he did that last year and I knew then nothing really helpful was gonna result.

The numbers probably don't support this but it's my impression that the good players get taken up early and the longer this goes on, the less likely that real help will arrive.

So it should have happened by now.

Which means Parise was likely the move he made.

There will be no 2C. There will be no goaltender. If we are lucky, Nuke will return and possibly Landy. And maybe the Russian kid from what... the KHL?

That's my expectations.
The problem is, there really aren’t good 2C options out there unless they make a big trade which is usually done in the offseason. Getting Henrique or Wennberg type isn’t gonna move the needle much. Would be nice to get like Gourde or someone like that, but not sure if he’s available on this deadline

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
The problem is, there really aren’t good 2C options out there unless they make a big trade which is usually done in the offseason. Getting Henrique or Wennberg type isn’t gonna move the needle much. Would be nice to get like Gourde or someone like that, but not sure if he’s available on this deadline
I'd take Gourd any time. He plays with his heart on his sleeve.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad