GBU Learning Lessons - Game 1 Loss 5-1, 10-12-2023

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Donny should have left the preseason lines together to start the season. Cohesion was definitely missing on the top line. The only real standout for me was Cozens and Greenway. Cozens was EVERYWHERE, a lot of sloppy puck control issues but he was one of the only players getting through the trap. Greenway looked the part of a 40-50pt power forward who drives the net which is great.

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
It's not pre-season anymore, seeing the same exact effort from the top guys as seen in pre-season. Peterka is gonna have a breakout season, looks confident and he's always had the skill. Such a shame Quinn isn't healthy, Olofsson didn't have an awful game (wasn't great) but Quinn is a major upgrade. Top line needs to wake up, Thompson in particular was god awful. Dahlin looked good, another stupid penalty shoving a dude in front of the net when the puck wasn't anywhere close. Samuelsson was good. Power had a horrendous 1st period but seemed to settle in after that, he doesn't need to be Pronger but he needs to have some kind of physical component to his game, he can't just poke at the puck all the time, he needs to exert himself physically and separate players from the puck using his body. He did it a couple times later in the game and he was very effective because of that.

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
Gotta learn fast, because they sure as hell learnt nothing in camp or preseason.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
The Rangers had a few guys who were banged up by blocking all those shots and at one point Chytil did a flying leg whip into Thompson from behind that seemed to have Tage a touch gimpy on his way off the ice.
Ugh, I did see someone comment on that in the game thread. Was hoping that wasn't something that would linger but fingers crossed.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
It's one thing for a veteran cup contender to take the pre-season easy and show up for game 1 out of shape and out of sync and take a while into the season to get rolling. They've earned it, and earned the expectation that it's early and there's nothing to worry about. They're saving themselves for May and June.

But it hits completely different when it's a team that hasn't made the playoffs in 12 years that comes into the season looking like that. There's no reason to trust that things will work out. It gave me the vibe that there is a total lack of seriousness from this team.

It was obvious from the way they played that the Rangers came into the season prepared. They were ready to start from game 1 on a campaign to compile enough points to make the playoffs and to advance in the playoffs. No messing around, they came to win.

The Sabres looked like they are still on Cottage Time.

It's a long season, and losing game 1 doesn't really matter. But the way they lost, through a complete lack of preparedness does not bode well for this season.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
One of the main takeaways I took from the game, is that Buffalo doesn't have it in their character, on this team, to create chaos. When teams are needing to get a boost, you see teams like Boston, NYR, and others decide to push the intensity of the game. We saw it once with Clifton with the hit to try and get something going, and it was early. But after that, Buffalo kind of reacted to how NYR dictated the game. If it went into a lull, then Buffalo was fine doing that. If NYR decided to get chippy, then Buffalo would stand up (which is nice to see), but once NYR was done, Buffalo went back into their passive way/attitude through the game.

It's an attribute that you see in most playoff contenders. I feel it's something we are lacking, that relies on entirely the team makeup and personalities. This team doesn't get angry enough, and it comes off like they are okay just skating until it suddenly stops.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
It is not midseason and no player on any team is in midseason form. They are in shape. What they are not is clued in on how to play a sound defensively titled game that allows them to exploit opponents gaffes with their speed and scoring. It was firewagon hockey with no fire.

I was not blaming yesterday's results on the observation that several players are not at peak fitness levels yet, it was merely an observation of a fact that is disappointing. I have been pinning the problems of this team on lack of defensive coaching for two seasons now, but me posting the details of why you can't win running this minor league D-zone and PK strategy for the 20th something time feels deadhorse emoji worthy.

As to my original post, Every season many players show up to NHL camps in mid season form. For years, every attendee of Roberts summer camp opened the season in peak shape. Yesterday I saw several players that were noticeably a step slower than they were at their peak last season. Some players were faster, and those were all the players who had noted strong off-season training regiments.

I'd like to think that this team is hungry enough that they all are busting their asses in the off-season to make themselves the best hockey players they can possibly be, but that facet does not seem to have caught on yet with this team like it sometimes does with up and coming teams in this league..

Reactions: HOOats

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
One of the main takeaways I took from the game, is that Buffalo doesn't have it in their character, on this team, to create chaos. When teams are needing to get a boost, you see teams like Boston, NYR, and others decide to push the intensity of the game. We saw it once with Clifton with the hit to try and get something going, and it was early. But after that, Buffalo kind of reacted to how NYR dictated the game. If it went into a lull, then Buffalo was fine doing that. If NYR decided to get chippy, then Buffalo would stand up (which is nice to see), but once NYR was done, Buffalo went back into their passive way/attitude through the game.

It's an attribute that you see in most playoff contenders. I feel it's something we are lacking, that relies on entirely the team makeup and personalities. This team doesn't get angry enough, and it comes off like they are okay just skating until it suddenly stops.
It's been a need for a long time, but I think you have to teach the guys you have to learn how to do it instead of adding guys who can bring that. Some playoff experience could do wonders in that regard.

Reactions: kirby11

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022

I don't really agree with this. Sabre's hockey is a seesaw. They either dominate or get dominated for periods. Consistency is what is their problem.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
I was not blaming yesterday's results on the observation that several players are not at peak fitness levels yet, it was merely an observation of a fact that is disappointing. I have been pinning the problems of this team on lack of defensive coaching for two seasons now, but me posting the details of why you can't win running this minor league D-zone and PK strategy for the 20th something time feels deadhorse emoji worthy.

As to my original post, Every season many players show up to NHL camps in mid season form. For years, every attendee of Roberts summer camp opened the season in peak shape. Yesterday I saw several players that were noticeably a step slower than they were at their peak last season. Some players were faster, and those were all the players who had noted strong off-season training regiments.

I'd like to think that this team is hungry enough that they all are busting their asses in the off-season to make themselves the best hockey players they can possibly be, but that facet does not seem to have caught on yet with this team like it sometimes does with up and coming teams in this league..
If by midseason form you are referencing defensive play, well the Sabres haven’t done that in midseason for 12 years. If you are saying they are physically unprepared due to lack of offseason training, I would also disagree. If you are noticing some players like Okposo, and E Johnson, being slow, I agree and think Kyle and Eric are cooked. Clifton looks like he is searching for defensive direction and systematic responsibilities that he hasn’t been given.

The one bright spot was an 18 year old who relied on instinct and basic hockey iq to put himself in position to contribute. Greenway did so after the first. But the rest are still playing without any structure and as a result no accountability. That is a coaching failure and I believe stems from the desire to get more looks at prospects that someone mentioned instead of using the preseason to implement a structure to address their defensive shortcomings. I simply noted that I do not believe it is a result of out of shape players, but rather players not being instructed on what is expected and drilling enough to implement those expectations. :dunno:

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
I was at the game, and my first response is that the Rangers are a better team overall, and then they have Shesterkin. They played a very sound game, and we did not. The Rangers will win more games head-to-head versus Buffalo, but we didn't have a chance in this one because of some sloppy play but overall we just didn't alter a wide-open style to counter what they were doing. I don't expect a win against the Rangers but closer more disciplined hockey will deliver some wins against better teams.

Reactions: brian_griffin

CowbellConray

Sep 8, 2010
If I was on a team that missed the playoffs by a point and saw no moves in goal, Quinn replaced by Olofsson and no new top 4 D brought in…while we sit with 2nd most cap and a thousand assets…don’t know why I’d think this was an important season…and that’s the effort we got
If any player really thinks this way, I wouldn’t want them on the Sabres.

It’s a loser mentality and I’ve seen you try to yell this into reality for quite a while. You can criticize moves or lack of moves, but it’s clear you are trying to take it to another level of infecting the mentality of players who have clearly stated they are set on making the postseason all off-season and through camp.

So criticize moves if you want, but take your loser mentality of this criticism and leave it at that. It’s low to try to point to something like that as a reason for a loss in game 1.

You sound like those Bills fans in week 1 after they lost to the Jets. Pathetic and whiny.

Sabres couldn’t beat the Rangers system. Teams are going to play this way against them, we need Granato to overcome it.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Just gonna say this:

The 1-3-1 trap playing in front of an elite goalie.....with the lead......makes a LOT of teams look like they're not "trying" or not "putting the effort in".

We came out a bit flat, and then the Rangers trap/defense flattened us further.

Let's see what this team brings against the Isles.....a team that has done similar things to us......but also something we MIGHT have figured out at the end of last year.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I don't really agree with this. Sabre's hockey is a seesaw. They either dominate or get dominated for periods. Consistency is what is their problem.
That's cool if you disagree. Everyone has their own standards/opinion on what they see/want to see.

When Buffalo is dominating, they are playing a very north/south transition game with speed in the neutral zone, and if they can sustain possession on the PP. Outside of that, their play with established zone possession is kind of "hope something works" where they don't attack the middle of the ice consistently. They rarely are dominating with establishing a sustained forecheck/cycling structure. IMO, possessing the puck is one thing, which they have tried to implement more of under Granato, but if you aren't creating dangerous chances/scoring chances, especially at 5 vs 5, then you are just holding on in the game.

I will agree consistency is a big problem with the team, and it's a root driving force that impacts everything on the ice, but there are fundamental issues with how they play that also impact their game.

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
Just gonna say this:

The 1-3-1 trap playing in front of an elite goalie.....with the lead......makes a LOT of teams look like they're not "trying" or not "putting the effort in".

We came out a bit flat, and then the Rangers trap/defense flattened us further.

Let's see what this team brings against the Isles.....a team that has done similar things to us......but also something we MIGHT have figured out at the end of last year.
We really needed to get the power play going. It’s one of the only ways to get out of a hole like that.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
We really needed to get the power play going. It’s one of the only ways to get out of a hole like that.
Absolutely! But cycling the puck to Thompson almost exclusively is an old act and Shesterkin was cheating when the puck went back to the point almost daring them to try and get it through the gauntlet because he was already sliding to the side to cover the one timer. Need another trick or the pp will be easily defended.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
If by midseason form you are referencing defensive play, well the Sabres haven’t done that in midseason for 12 years. If you are saying they are physically unprepared due to lack of offseason training, I would also disagree. If you are noticing some players like Okposo, and E Johnson, being slow, I agree and think Kyle and Eric are cooked. Clifton looks like he is searching for defensive direction and systematic responsibilities that he hasn’t been given.

The one bright spot was an 18 year old who relied on instinct and basic hockey iq to put himself in position to contribute. Greenway did so after the first. But the rest are still playing without any structure and as a result no accountability. That is a coaching failure and I believe stems from the desire to get more looks at prospects that someone mentioned instead of using the preseason to implement a structure to address their defensive shortcomings. I simply noted that I do not believe it is a result of out of shape players, but rather players not being instructed on what is expected and drilling enough to implement those expectations. :dunno:

I think there is something to the take that the starters did not get enough pre-season action this year, but it isn't like the system has changed. From what I watched yesterday, the coaching staff is hoping that the same formula will somehow produce better results. It works well against the teams that don't execute well and fails spectacularly against teams that do.

The conditioning comment was just an observation. Do not read into it being anything more than that. I noticed some of the players looking like they were operating with smaller engines and less gas in the tank than last year (not talking about the 30+ year old vets). It was disappointing for a team that should be extremely hungry. You can disagree if you feel like the conditioning shown yesterday was comparable to the peak from last season. I think some of the players were noticeably slower.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
I think there is something to the take that the starters did not get enough pre-season action this year, but it isn't like the system has changed. From what I watched yesterday, the coaching staff is hoping that the same formula will somehow produce better results. It works well against the teams that don't execute well and fails spectacularly against teams that do.

The conditioning comment was just an observation. Do not read into it being anything more than that. I noticed some of the players looking like they were operating with smaller engines and less gas in the tank than last year (not talking about the 30+ year old vets). It was disappointing for a team that should be extremely hungry. You can disagree if you feel like the conditioning shown yesterday was comparable to the peak from last season. I think some of the players were noticeably slower.
I think we are saying the same thing in two different languages. I agree that the biggest thing the team needed to address from last season was goals against and that their style of play needed to changed to address that. I saw nothing last night that would lead me to believe that the staff has implemented any changes that cut down on the high event hockey they played last year.

Reactions: Irie

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Well we will see if they learned anything against the Rangers when they play against the 1-3-1 tomorrow with the Islanders.

Rangers/Islander games are gonna be trap vs trap lol whichever team can create more chaos will win.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I think we are saying the same thing in two different languages. I agree that the biggest thing the team needed to address from last season was goals against and that their style of play needed to changed to address that. I saw nothing last night that would lead me to believe that the staff has implemented any changes that cut down on the high event hockey they played last year.

I agree completely. The two things I wanted to comment on after watching yesterdays game was that 1. looks like Granato still has not had "time" to install his defensive strategy, and 2. Some of the players were dragging a bit (which is common this time of year, but pisses me off because I think all pros should enter camp in peak shape.

Since I have already beaten the "Wilford using the Dallas Eakins defensive strategy" issue to death, and I do not want to sound like the coaching staff's version of Ace or Doak's "Adams hater club", I posted on the conditioning topic ;)

I love Granato as a development coach, and if I were starting a new NHL team, he would be my first choice to coach the development team, but this team desperately needs some more advanced defensive system understanding and experience, at least in the assistant ranks.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
Meh, I'm not worried...This team has proven they are one of the most skilled and highly scoring teams in the league...I agree with some of the posters maybe Donnie looked to long at our prospects in pre-season (but he kind of had to), and he didn't keep the same lines together....Long season, I'm still confident in the playoffs this...
G: Clifton and Dahlin taking the body...Dahlin has shown us he can be physical....That along with his offensive and defensive play make him elite....If he keeps it up he has to be in the running for the Norris for many years....LGB !!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad