GBU Learning Lessons - Game 1 Loss 5-1, 10-12-2023

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
That's not something exclusive to the Sabres. That's pretty much every team in the NHL. Even contenders get dominated occasionally.
As further evidence of this. Edmonton lost to the nucks 8-1. Plenty of people picked edmonton as contenders and most picked the nucks to be on the outside. Shit happens.

Last edited:

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
I still think they need to find a better partner for Power who can cover around the net and play 22+ minutes effectively in order to ever become a contender.

That's not why they lost last night though. I think they lost because they played a good team playing a very solid road game and the top forwards (Skinner/Thompson/Tuch/ Cozens) weren't dangerous and were unable to possess the puck at all.

I am very confident that going forward, our best players will still be our best players before long, so this loss does not worry me. I don't see it as anything close to convincing evidence that the team can't get over the hump this year. There's a long way to go and there are still a lot of things that could happen from here.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Just gonna say this:

The 1-3-1 trap playing in front of an elite goalie.....with the lead......makes a LOT of teams look like they're not "trying" or not "putting the effort in".

We came out a bit flat, and then the Rangers trap/defense flattened us further.

Let's see what this team brings against the Isles.....a team that has done similar things to us......but also something we MIGHT have figured out at the end of last year.
We had a 5 on 3 for 12 seconds and ended up getting scored on our PP that was indeed a pathetic effort they can't play that on the PK.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I guess I don't think they forecheck very well as a whole. Not terrible but not a strength. Last night the timing wasn't there on dump-ins, or the F1 was really slow. NYR was able to retrieve and move the puck before any forecheck got started, quite a bit. Even if F1 got there, the battle seemed to end at F2. This is why I don't think Buffalo is very good at dump and chase...because they don't have enough physical players that forecheck/cycle well. Tuch is good and Skinner is ok, but not Thompson (he's good in space but not otherwise). Next line Greenway is good and Mitts is a real battler in the cycle, Benson is TBD. Cozens, Peterka, and Olofsson are not good at it. The Krebs line is good at it but lack enough skill to be a scoring threat.
Agreed. They were able to break the trap pretty easily a couple months into last season so I hope it doesn't take so long to figure it out this year

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
I think there are some hungry young players on this team that submit to the philosophy that "off-season training is when you advance your game", and would fit right in with a Gary Roberts off-season training invite.

Then there are some players who look at the off-season as 4 months of fun and relaxation, and would probably fit in well with a tiger woods off-season training invite.

Some of the players looked to be in mid-season-shape, and some of them look like they are still barely in first week of training camp shape.

This team needs less comfort and more commitment , hopefully a lot of talented, hungry prospects will raise the fitness stakes and light a fire under those that are coasting a bit too much.
It's a really young team correct? With a bunch of players who are making big bucks for the 1st time?

And we might have found a chink in the coach's and GM's armor here.

If you want to play for the Avs, between both Bednar and McKinnon, don't you dare come into camp not being in shape.

Ask EJ, he'll tell ya. (Heck Zadorov already has.....)

Reactions: Irie

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3