GBU Learning Lessons - Game 1 Loss 5-1, 10-12-2023

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I was going to post about how they "should" be willing to dump, chase, and forecheck but they just aren't a great roster for that type of game right now. So besides that, what are the creative ways to beat the trap that Buffalo is currently suited for?
Idk they forechecked very well at times last year. Sometimes with individual effort and sometimes with numbers.

The rangers dug the puck out and moved up ice with speed which eliminated the Sabres being able to send more than 1 guy. If the Sabres did a better job defending the neutral zone or frankly, put more individual effort into the forecheck, they probably could have avoided playing in their own zone all night.

If they thought doing figure 8s was an effective forecheck method against the rangers skilled blueline, they thought wrong. Disappointed there didn't seem to be much adjustment from players or coaches. When necessary, we were able to be the more physical team but backed off when the rangers backed off.

Good vet teams will continue that physicality or at least become more relentless as a group until it forces the other team into mistakes instead of being embarrassed in the home season opener.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Sometimes I find it helpful to look at things from the other side's viewpoint:

My main takeaways:
  • The Rangers won't be able to play this style all year. It takes a lot of discipline to play that patient trapping style, and I'm not sure they have the right players to do it consistently all year.
  • They also won't be able to block shots like that all year, it's going to result in dings and injuries, and eventually the engagement level is going to drop
Overall I think the Rangers played a hell of a road game and were really stifling, but I think the Sabres also took a while to get their legs moving after the pregame ceremony, got frustrated by the Rangers, and then didn't get much in the way of puck luck.

As for the 1-3-1 trap that everyone is talking about, I thought Granato addressed it well in his postgame presser; it's not that they have to learn how to play against it, it's that they haven't played against it in 6 months. They just need to get back to playing the way they're capable of.

Better times are ahead...

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
I can’t even describe my level of disappointment. I had a bad feeling watching these guys in preseason. Last night reminded me of opening night, 2016. So much promise, and then they came out and laid a big fat egg. This team is just f***ing cursed.
I have some worry that teams have started to figure out how to shut down our offense a bit. Tage hasn't been nearly as dangerous since some point last year. Yes there were injuries and he started slow last year, but he hasn't looked good in pre-season and now Game 1. Obviously need to give it some time before any sort of panic, but something about his game worries me for the long term, especially if he's considered the 1C. We can't wait 'til we're 3-6 for our 1C to make a big impact.

Is anyone else a bit worried about this?

He's being talked about as a top 10 forward/center in the league. When I watch top 10 players they're consistently dangerous and I'm not sure Tage is that guy. It seems when decent defensive teams key in on him, he falls into some of his old habits and looks very ordinary. He can make bad defenses look especially bad, but really seems to struggle when things tighten up. I know some will jump on me for this opinion, but just wanting to see if anyone else is a bit worried here. 47g/94p can easily turn into 30g/65p with a mix of bad luck and teams "figuring him out".

Reactions: BuffaloMango

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I have some worry that teams have started to figure out how to shut down our offense a bit. Tage hasn't been nearly as dangerous since some point last year. Yes there were injuries and he started slow last year, but he hasn't looked good in pre-season and now Game 1. Obviously need to give it some time before any sort of panic, but something about his game worries me for the long term, especially if he's considered the 1C. We can't wait 'til we're 3-6 for our 1C to make a big impact.

Is anyone else a bit worried about this?

He's being talked about as a top 10 forward/center in the league. When I watch top 10 players they're consistently dangerous and I'm not sure Tage is that guy. It seems when decent defensive teams key in on him, he falls into some of his old habits and looks very ordinary. He can make bad defenses look especially bad, but really seems to struggle when things tighten up. I know some will jump on me for this opinion, but just wanting to see if anyone else is a bit worried here. 47g/94p can easily turn into 30g/65p with a mix of bad luck and teams "figuring him out".
Tage should have had a couple goals last night, he just couldn't hit anywhere close to the net but he had some good opportunities.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
If I was on a team that missed the playoffs by a point and saw no moves in goal, Quinn replaced by Olofsson and no new top 4 D brought in…while we sit with 2nd most cap and a thousand assets…don’t know why I’d think this was an important season…and that’s the effort we got
Shaking a bunch of poppy seeds on the kitchen counter doesn't mean you designed a connect-the-dot puzzle.

====
Didn't read the GDT.

G: My first viewing of Benson. Focused on him. He was fine, and consistent. Kept changing his position smartly and slightly when "defending" low in the circle with a end-board battle in his d-zone. Got at least one decent shot / look. Didn't make any dumb plays by my recall. Got his stick pinned by an elbow of savvy vet who made it look like a hook.

B: Tuch, Skinner, Thompson at even strength took turns wearing Ignotus Peverell's invisibility cloak of Deathly Hallows / Potter fame. Skinner disrobed once at the right half-wall and launched a harmless puck-spell upwards toward an owl in the rafters. Would have liked to see Levi flop forward on the rebound which led to GA1.

U: Officiating. (Benson mentioned above.) And I have no idea how an after the whistle hug-fest is a legit even-up call on a hit from behind on the numbers into the boards on a defenseless player.

====
Went to bed "early" at 10:00, had been up at 5:00 (not abnormal), and interviewed (internally) at work for four hours / 7 people interviewed me, so a lot of talking and emotion which tends to drain me way more than mental or physical work. Debriefed my wife after work for a good half hour, while having a pre-game IPA (she's leaving the project / being pushed aside - long story - and they want me to come in and lead it in a reorganized structure, so she has a keen interest and supports me for the role). Had 2 more IPAs with the game / dinner. Wife watched game with me while we played scrabble. Wife came in to bed at 11:00 and woke me up for our own "4th period". Sabres loss not putting me in a bad mood.

Onwards to The Island...

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Tage should have had a couple goals last night, he just couldn't hit anywhere close to the net but he had some good opportunities.
Then he shouldn't have had a couple goals last night as he didn't. I could understand this if there was a goal taken away or someone saving it on the goal line, but to say Tage should've had a couple goals last night, but he just couldn't get his shot on net is an interesting way to look at things.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Idk they forechecked very well at times last year. Sometimes with individual effort and sometimes with numbers.

The rangers dug the puck out and moved up ice with speed which eliminated the Sabres being able to send more than 1 guy. If the Sabres did a better job defending the neutral zone or frankly, put more individual effort into the forecheck, they probably could have avoided playing in their own zone all night.

If they thought doing figure 8s was an effective forecheck method against the rangers skilled blueline, they thought wrong. Disappointed there didn't seem to be much adjustment from players or coaches. When necessary, we were able to be the more physical team but backed off when the rangers backed off.

Good vet teams will continue that physicality or at least become more relentless as a group until it forces the other team into mistakes instead of being embarrassed in the home season opener.
I guess I don't think they forecheck very well as a whole. Not terrible but not a strength. Last night the timing wasn't there on dump-ins, or the F1 was really slow. NYR was able to retrieve and move the puck before any forecheck got started, quite a bit. Even if F1 got there, the battle seemed to end at F2. This is why I don't think Buffalo is very good at dump and chase...because they don't have enough physical players that forecheck/cycle well. Tuch is good and Skinner is ok, but not Thompson (he's good in space but not otherwise). Next line Greenway is good and Mitts is a real battler in the cycle, Benson is TBD. Cozens, Peterka, and Olofsson are not good at it. The Krebs line is good at it but lack enough skill to be a scoring threat.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Shaking a bunch of poppy seeds on the kitchen counter doesn't mean you designed a connect-the-dot puzzle.

====
Didn't read the GDT.

G: My first viewing of Benson. Focused on him. He was fine, and consistent. Kept changing his position smartly and slightly when "defending" low in the circle with a end-board battle in his d-zone. Got at least one decent shot / look. Didn't make any dumb plays by my recall. Got his stick pinned by an elbow of savvy vet who made it look like a hook.

B: Tuch, Skinner, Thompson at even strength took turns wearing Ignotus Peverell's invisibility cloak of Deathly Hallows / Potter fame. Skinner disrobed once at the right half-wall and launched a harmless puck-spell upwards toward an owl in the rafters. Would have liked to see Levi flop forward on the rebound which led to GA1.

U: Officiating. (Benson mentioned above.) And I have no idea how an after the whistle hug-fest is a legit even-up call on a hit from behind on the numbers into the boards on a defenseless player.

====
Went to bed "early" at 10:00, had been up at 5:00 (not abnormal), and interviewed (internally) at work for four hours / 7 people interviewed me, so a lot of talking and emotion which tends to drain me way more than mental or physical work. Debriefed my wife after work for a good half hour, while having a pre-game IPA (she's leaving the project / being pushed aside - long story - and they want me to come in and lead it in a reorganized structure, so she has a keen interest and supports me for the role). Had 2 more IPAs with the game / dinner. Wife watched game with me while we played scrabble. Wife came in to bed at 11:00 and woke me up for our own "4th period". Sabres loss not putting me in a bad mood.

Onwards to The Island...
1st Bold: He didn't get his stick pinned, Fox intentionally grabbed Benson's stick with his free hand like he was playing mini-sticks. I could understand the ref that called it because he couldn't see exactly what happened, but for the other ref that had a clearer view of the play, this is part of the reason why we have two refs. They botched that call really bad.

2nd Bold: Mentioned it in the GDT, but Greenway broke his stick when cross checked the player. Unfortunately, when the lumber/evidence is on the ice as proof, the ref is going to call it, especially since there's a scrum involved, so that they can manage the game. Not going to be mad at Greenway for his actions at all, and I get why the ref made the even-up call.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Last year they beat Ottawa, the year before that they beat Montreal. In 2020 they lost in the COVID season but before that in 2019 they beat Pittsburgh, 2018 they beat Columbus.

That's just factually not correct.
must have been a stretch somewhere that is etched into my brain haha

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022

====
Didn't read the GDT.

====

Onwards to The Island...
That goal against was squarely on Benson he tracked the forward that was already covered by the D and never even turned to cover the player streaking in, goal went in behind his back.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
This team needs to learn how to play against the 1-3-1, it eats us alive almost everytime. They seemed to figure it out the last game on the island last year, hopefully they remember how they played that game when tomorrow rolls around. Can’t be a playoff team if you only score goals against loose defense and on the PP. We need to be able to combat structure with structure of our own.

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
G
-Greenway obviously. That's a player we've needed for a long time.
-JJ was our most dynamic player. He looked like he was doing his summer drills in real gameplay. His breakout seems imminent. Also his goal song was hilarious in person.
-Thought Clifton (and EJ) was fine. The crowd when he started hitting reminded me of the movie Children of Men when nobody has seen a baby in like a decade and they finally do. Excited and in awe. Greenway and Sammy also were physical and obviously Dahlin's flip.
-Didn't hate Vic honestly. Thought the effort was there and that was encouraging.

B
-Stars no-showed, disappointing but not surprising following a sluggish preseason. Particularly hated Skinner's first and Cozens' game. Super rusty and tight - George Babcock needs to break out the WD40.
-It's been covered, but didn't love the approach or strategy. The untouched coaching staff is my only gripe with the off-season. Seeing Peca on the NYR bench was indeed a kick in the groin.
-Hated Dahlin's cross check penalty. Same lazy, almost arrogant stuff that got him nailed for the most penalties in the league last year and I'm hoping he cleans up this year. If you need to pin the guy's hip while you take a few strides to get a head start sure, but they're calling that cross check 95/100 times.

U
-The Greenway even up call was just atrocious. Benson hook the same on replay. Embarrassing officiating game #1.
-I guess the crowd does need good play to care after all. People were quiet but locked into the game to start, but it reverted to morgue pretty quickly.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
G
-Greenway obviously. That's a player we've needed for a long time.
-JJ was our most dynamic player. He looked like he was doing his summer drills in real gameplay. His breakout seems imminent. Also his goal song was hilarious in person.
-Thought Clifton (and EJ) was fine. The crowd when he started hitting reminded me of the movie Children of Men when nobody has seen a baby in like a decade and they finally do. Excited and in awe. Greenway and Sammy also were physical and obviously Dahlin's flip.
-Didn't hate Vic honestly. Thought the effort was there and that was encouraging.

B
-Stars no-showed, disappointing but not surprising following a sluggish preseason. Particularly hated Skinner's first and Cozens' game. Super rusty and tight - George Babcock needs to break out the WD40.
-It's been covered, but didn't love the approach or strategy. The untouched coaching staff is my only gripe with the off-season. Seeing Peca on the NYR bench was indeed a kick in the groin.
-Hated Dahlin's cross check penalty. Same lazy, almost arrogant stuff that got him nailed for the most penalties in the league last year and I'm hoping he cleans up this year. If you need to pin the guy's hip while you take a few strides to get a head start sure, but they're calling that cross check 95/100 times.

U
-The Greenway even up call was just atrocious. Benson hook the same on replay. Embarrassing officiating game #1.
-I guess the crowd does need good play to care after all. People were quiet but locked into the game to start, but it reverted to morgue pretty quickly.
I hoped expected a different team to start the 2nd period, and instead they were actually worse. Either commit to a 100mph dump-and-chase, or start connecting on some lateral passes in the neutral zone to gain entries. I just saw some naive or stubborn north-south attempts that devolved into hopeless dump-ins with terrible timing/no F1 going in with speed, or TOs.

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
I hoped expected a different team to start the 2nd period, and instead they were actually worse. Either commit to a 100mph dump-and-chase, or start connecting on some lateral passes in the neutral zone to gain entries. I just saw some naive or stubborn north-south attempts that devolved into hopeless dump-ins with terrible timing/no F1 going in with speed, or TOs.
Yeah we were stifled tactically no doubt, and our guys didn't have any real juice to overcome it with individual efforts. Igor is a world-class keeper too, frustrating but cool to see in person.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Sometimes I find it helpful to look at things from the other side's viewpoint:

• The Rangers won't be able to play this style all year. It takes a lot of discipline to play that patient trapping style, and I'm not sure they have the right players to do it consistently all year.
  • They also won't be able to block shots like that all year, it's going to result in dings and injuries, and eventually the engagement level is going to drop
I was saying that to my wife all night.

I'll happily play them again in a few months; we'll see if they can do that again.

Reactions: Fezzy126

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
That goal against was squarely on Benson he tracked the forward that was already covered by the D and never even turned to cover the player streaking in, goal went in behind his back.
I'm confused. ???? Are you responding to my comment on GA1? i.e., the 1st goal scored by the Rangers

Benson wasn't on the ice for that goal.

LaF wasn't tied up by Joker / tracked behind Joker unnoticed to score on the back-door pass. The lost assignment on the backdoor was the cause of the goal. Regardless, I'd like Levi to be more aggressive on a 50/50 puck so close in front of him but within arm-length. Power should have stood up his man (Panarin, a world-class talent) after #10's initial shot which created the rebound, expecting Joker to locate and play the puck, but instead Power turned inward (toward the slot) letting Panarin get to the puck first.

It was a good rush by the Ranger's skilled line (I think at the end of 28-19-21's shift) and not played tightly enough by the D (although they may not have been able to do anything anyway - which is why I would have liked Levi to be more aggressive. To be clear, I am NOT faulting Levi, simply saying that on that play he was likely able to be more impactful as it unfolded.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Realistically, all the players approach the off-season differently. The best players tend to take a couple weeks off then get to work and work hard from June to September. Other players relax, vacation, play a lot of golf, and hit the gym two weeks before camp opens.

The players that train all off season hit camp in mid season shape. The other type often aren't really in peak shape until November and they often start slow.

Right now several players on this team do not look to be in mid season shape. That is mostly on the players, because like you said, they are professionals and some things are just expected of them. Maybe it is on Granato a little bit if he lets them get away with being less prepared - some coaches historically come down hard on guys that aren't physically ready when camp opens, and maybe his rules are less strict. I don't. See how any of the preparation side of things falls on the GM though, other than if you think he assembled the wrong group of players or coaching staff.
It is not midseason and no player on any team is in midseason form. They are in shape. What they are not is clued in on how to play a sound defensively titled game that allows them to exploit opponents gaffes with their speed and scoring. It was firewagon hockey with no fire.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
Who had JJ Peterka leading the team in goals this season?

Because, so far its true! :D

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Ugly game. The Sabres tried to skate through the trap, which is what a 1-3-1 is designed to stop. Crisp and quick passing, as well as regroups, all in the name of possession, is how you break down a team's 1-3-1.

The Sabres carried the puck to the 3-man wall and then tried to skate through it. That led to a ton of puck losses. Then they tried the typical pass to the wall and then into the zone method. The 3 players in the neutral zone are trying to force plays inside, so the walls won't be open. That's why we saw a ton of neutral zone board battles.

Forwards needed to be slanting between the red line and offensive blue line to allow for a quick pass behind the 3 man wall. Then you get a quick 2v1 on the last defender back if the backside wall defender doesn't recognize it fast enough. Done enough times well, you can functionally transition a 1-3-1 to a playside 1-2-2, and that's easier to gain offensive zone time against.

If it's not there, don't press, re-group, and attack again. The Sabres weren't patient enough and they didn't modify how they attacked. They'll see on film and fix it.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
Had 2 more IPAs with the game / dinner. Wife watched game with me while we played scrabble. Wife came in to bed at 11:00 and woke me up for our own "4th period". Sabres loss not putting me in a bad mood.
can't leave us hanging, we need more details!
What was your best scrabble word?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Didn't watch the game, but scanning the comments I was mainly only looking for one thing and I didn't see it, so I'll add a new one.

G: no injuries

The Rangers had a few guys who were banged up by blocking all those shots and at one point Chytil did a flying leg whip into Thompson from behind that seemed to have Tage a touch gimpy on his way off the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad