Post-Game Talk: Leafs winn 4-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Personally, I am believer that you make most of your own luck. I don't believe in the narrative that winning the Cup has a large amount of Luck involved (not saying you are saying this).
We drove the net harder than normal last night and therefore were in the position for pucks to hit players and go in. You allow yourself to get boxed out and those goals don't happen. They look lucky, but everyone of those goals was a result of hard work, even Hyman's empty netter. There is a reason the guy is good at it, his reads in our end are quite good and he doesn't collapse too deep which allows him to jump all over those kind of plays and out work opponents to the loose pucks. I just don't see that as lucky. There are definitely some goals or plays I would call lucky, just not as many as some would I think.
Completely agree - you make your own luck. Just saying that it was that kind of game. For example, the second goal wasn't a Kapanen rocket into the top corner, but a deflection off the crossbar, then off the defenceman, and right onto Tavares' stick for a tap in.

I actually felt sorry for their goalie, who made some great saves.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Personally, I am believer that you make most of your own luck. I don't believe in the narrative that winning the Cup has a large amount of Luck involved (not saying you are saying this).
We drove the net harder than normal last night and therefore were in the position for pucks to hit players and go in. You allow yourself to get boxed out and those goals don't happen. They look lucky, but everyone of those goals was a result of hard work, even Hyman's empty netter. There is a reason the guy is good at it, his reads in our end are quite good and he doesn't collapse too deep which allows him to jump all over those kind of plays and out work opponents to the loose pucks. I just don't see that as lucky. There are definitely some goals or plays I would call lucky, just not as many as some would I think.
Exactly. You create your own "luck" via hard work.

Reactions: Al14

RLF

May 5, 2014
Completely agree - you make your own luck. Just saying that it was that kind of game. For example, the second goal wasn't a Kapanen rocket into the top corner, but a deflection off the crossbar, then off the defenceman, and right onto Tavares' stick for a tap in.

I actually felt sorry for their goalie, who made some great saves.

That one had the most "luck" for sure. It was Nylander's shot though-credit where credit is due. The guy made a nice play to find the open ice in the middle. Both Tavares and Matthews drove the net taking D with them helping open that space. The bounce off their D was a lucky bounce for sure...but only happened because of the hard work prior and is why I think "luck" is overrated by some.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
If you look around the league to me it seems that the going rate is +/- $100,000 per point. Therefore IMO Nylander should get around 70 points every year to justify his contract. Under 70 should be considered an overpay and over 70 is a deal.
Close to fair. The problem is that if he makes 30 pts this year, he needs 78 pts to make up the shortfall in the remaining 5 years

Golden Puppers

Mar 20, 2019
Matthews was insane for stretches of that game. Love Marner but make no mistake about it, Auston is pretty easily more valuable and a better overall player. The mainboard gets hypnotized by Matthew's point totals and Marners highlight reel.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Great team game played last night but it was Buffalo.

Matty wow wow wow why does he not play like that most nights? When he decides to play he totally dominates the game. I only saw that early in the season. First time I have seen it since. But if he plays like that rest of way and into playoffs then look out we could go all the way as I don't think anyone else in league can play like that.

Muzzy good to see him play a simple game again like he should. No more BS stretch passes and cross ice BS. He plays the man hard so keep playing your game. KISS. Whatever else Babs or whoever says his best strategy is to say "look keep that crap for the other guys I need to play my game."

Sparky well done. You backed up what you said. Those 2 big break away saves with game on the line says it all. The team needed it and you delivered.

Even Babs well done limiting minutes to your AHL defense. I would like to see you drop Z when Dermott gets back to the other low minute AHLers which is what Z is.

Kappy great to have him back and flying. He really opens up the ice. A danger every shift. We must resign him.

Some disappointments Marleau (he needs rest before playoffs i don't give a damn about iron streak think TEAM there is no I in TEAM), Petan (too small on his *ss too much like Johnsson, much rather have Ennis/Goat in lineup) and Brown (what can i say i know he is trying I talked to his dad Dan who coached my kid 1 season, but he is so ineffective, i would try him 1 last time with Matty and Willy otherwise he must go) .

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
That one had the most "luck" for sure. It was Nylander's shot though-credit where credit is due. The guy made a nice play to find the open ice in the middle. Both Tavares and Matthews drove the net taking D with them helping open that space. The bounce off their D was a lucky bounce for sure...but only happened because of the hard work prior and is why I think "luck" is overrated by some.
Oops - mea culpa. Nylander, not Kapanen.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
If we can keep up the style of play the last couple of games with a sharp Freddy going into the playoffs, I like our chances.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Didn't want anyone jumping all over you for not giving Nylander credit.lol
I suppose, if I wanted to be like some posters, I could argue that I didn't say it was a Kapanen shot that hit the crossbar, etc., but just that it wasn't a Kapanen rocket into the top corner. (It also wasn't a Polak rocket into the top corner.:sarcasm:)

But no - I just got it wrong.:thumbu:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Buffalo had some quality chances and Sparks shut them down. Why does the agenda have to be that Sparks sucks so bad? People predicting 5+ goals and then when he plays a decent game it's only because the opposition sucked?

Because majority of the time he does suck so it's a legitimate surprise when he doesn't

Reactions: ACC1224

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
This was quoted on here a few days ago by rumman.
"The harder I work, the luckier I get" Arnold Palmer

Pretty much suits last nights game.

Reactions: ACC1224 and Trapper

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
You’re the type of fan, that other fans dislike lol
All fans have fans that dont like them. If i manage to upset all fans with those lines, then i dont know if should feel sad or proud.

We did not win anything yet that matters, and we did not lost anything yet that matters. It is great with emotions, but the hottakes when we loose and the hallelulia choir when we win. Is just to much sometimes. But i dont dislike those fans.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
All fans have fans that dont like them. If i manage to upset all fans with those lines, then i dont know if should feel sad or proud.

We did not win anything yet that matters, and we did not lost anything yet that matters. It is great with emotions, but the hottakes when we loose and the hallelulia choir when we win. Is just to much sometimes. But i dont dislike those fans.
No one said we did. But when there’s a total team effort there’s no need to shit on that. Enjoy what is. Hopefully that’s something to build off of

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Lmao, anyone see The Winter Soldier in the Sabres GDT talking **** about the Leafs, calling them soft and basically pandering to the Sabres fans? It's like the guy goes to whatever team we are playing and talks ****. So obsessed.
It's pretty sad. I have no idea how anyone could stop being a fan of a team because they didn't get the attention they needed from other fans.

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
Great team game played last night but it was Buffalo.

Matty wow wow wow why does he not play like that most nights? When he decides to play he totally dominates the game. I only saw that early in the season. First time I have seen it since. But if he plays like that rest of way and into playoffs then look out we could go all the way as I don't think anyone else in league can play like that.

Muzzy good to see him play a simple game again like he should. No more BS stretch passes and cross ice BS. He plays the man hard so keep playing your game. KISS. Whatever else Babs or whoever says his best strategy is to say "look keep that crap for the other guys I need to play my game."

Sparky well done. You backed up what you said. Those 2 big break away saves with game on the line says it all. The team needed it and you delivered.

Even Babs well done limiting minutes to your AHL defense. I would like to see you drop Z when Dermott gets back to the other low minute AHLers which is what Z is.

Kappy great to have him back and flying. He really opens up the ice. A danger every shift. We must resign him.

Some disappointments Marleau (he needs rest before playoffs i don't give a damn about iron streak think TEAM there is no I in TEAM), Petan (too small on his *ss too much like Johnsson, much rather have Ennis/Goat in lineup) and Brown (what can i say i know he is trying I talked to his dad Dan who coached my kid 1 season, but he is so ineffective, i would try him 1 last time with Matty and Willy otherwise he must go) .

When Matthews is on, he is definitely prime Malkin-like. We saw some of that in the Caps series, but he was MIA last year.

God knows which version of Matthews will show up this year.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
When Matthews is on, he is definitely prime Malkin-like. We saw some of that in the Caps series, but he was MIA last year.

God knows which version of Matthews will show up this year.
The thing is that Matthews was also snakebit that serious. He had a ton of scoring chances from the slot, and his line did a good job of tilting the ice in their favor. The puck just didn't go in. Great play gets great results eventually, but in one series the sample size is just too small for that to be the case.

He also had Chara on him for all of that series, and Bergeron for half of it. Bergeron owns everyone, and Chara might still be the best d-man in the league defensively.

He's got a GAA above 3 that's not average and a 903 save% that's not average
League-wide average as of this moment is 2.83 GAA and .909 sv%. He's below average, but not by a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad