Post-Game Talk: Leafs winn 4-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddo22

Sep 22, 2015
Everyone who said the Leafs were going to lose last night.. here's your pie. I'm serving myself up a slice too. lol
Humble-pie.jpg

Reactions: Al14

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
The thing is that Matthews was also snakebit that serious. He had a ton of scoring chances from the slot, and his line did a good job of tilting the ice in their favor. The puck just didn't go in. Great play gets great results eventually, but in one series the sample size is just too small for that to be the case.

He also had Chara on him for all of that series, and Bergeron for half of it. Bergeron owns everyone, and Chara might still be the best d-man in the league defensively.

League-wide average as of this moment is 2.83 GAA and .909 sv%. He's below average, but not by a lot.
Matty has to figure out a way to perform. He will be second highest paid guy in league and he has to beat Bergeron straight up. And then create against Chara. Good news this year is Bruins will have to chose who to match up Chara against.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Matty has to figure out a way to perform. He will be second highest paid guy in league and he has to beat Bergeron straight up. And then create against Chara. Good news this year is Bruins will have to chose who to match up Chara against.
If we keep that Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander line together I think that's a really good matchup for the Bergeron line. Matthews and Nylander have combined for 15 points in the last 7 games and they could have had a tonne more.

matchup that line and then find a way to get Dermott on the right side against that line (Zaitsev/Hainsey get eaten alive).

Reactions: saffronleaf

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Second highest paid player next year.. regardless every one gets paid the same in the playoffs. Normal paychecks stop coming.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Kap had a really good game, the Kadri line lived in their zone.

When that defender pinched Kaps head against the boards, I was sure Kappy was gonna go primal on him. Kap is as strong as an Ox, not a guy I would want to make an enemy.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Yeah I don't have a lot of hope on that front. I once saw a spread of how top centers do against each other. Most of them canceled each other out. Some of them, like Seguin, got beat bad by other top centers. Bergeron? He owned them all. He was literally just as good against a Crosby or Tavares as he was against anyone else. He's absurd.

My biggest hope is that whomever doesn't get Bergeron can beat their matchup handily.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Yeah I don't have a lot of hope on that front. I once saw a spread of how top centers do against each other. Most of them canceled each other out. Some of them, like Seguin, got beat bad by other top centers. Bergeron? He owned them all. He was literally just as good against a Crosby or Tavares as he was against anyone else. He's absurd.

My biggest hope is that whomever doesn't get Bergeron can beat their matchup handily.

Babs biggest mistake splitting them up in the playoffs:

5v5 Matthews WITH Nylander vs. Bergeron/Marchand/Pasta last year in the playoffs.

TOI: 11:31
CF% 56.41
SCF%: 66.24
HDCF%: 73.78
GF 1-0

:D

I know who I would play.....

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

in that case, it might pay off to match Kadri against him. Tavares has done well against top centers and might work in the playoffs, but you never know. It might have to be a case of letting Bergeron do his thing and hope to beat the rest of the team

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I'm not a big fan of pitting Leafs players against each other but I've heard lots of stuff lately about how Marner may be better than Matthews and I can understand where it comes from, but when the version of Matthews we've seen the last 2 games shows up, he is honestly a cut above Marner. Extremely few players around the league can match a 100% Matthews, he is seriously special.
The seriously special Matthews needs to come out to play more often. He needs to take over the playground and dominate to the point of being a bully.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

And that Bergeron doesn't win his matchup by a ridiculously big margin. That's why I broached the idea of playing Kadri against him a few months ago, I don't see it happening now though as he seems a bit off and it's unclear who his linemates would be in this scenario. I floated the idea of trying Kadri with Hyman and Kapanen the last time we played them, if I was the coach I think I would have tried that. That challenge might be just what's needed to get Kadri to play the way he can and if that line did a good job, it would free up our big guns to inflict damage elsewhere.

As if Babcock would ever drop Hyman from the top 6.:laugh::laugh: I still think it was an idea well worth trying though.

MarnerElite

Feb 20, 2019
That's one thing Babcock gets right. Too bad he's a one trick pony.

Nah, he's got a few tricks. Based on your posts and the fact you've agreed on things like us needing better work ethic, the fact he's able to change his mind on some of the lineup decisions(now the lines are largely good..could still improve), the fact we can change our style and play more grinding game(instead of wide open so teams just keep getting chance after chance)..All good things that you'd agree with i'm sure. Just because we aren't getting things according to each person's definition of perfection(ice time distribution, Brown and Marleau playing too much, etc) doesn't make him a bad coach..He could make those changes and we could still lose or suck, no guarantees. Remember, he sees these guys every single day and what they show during practice..I"m still confused what Brown does for example(like everyone else here) but that guy must have been showing something different during practices because there's no way he'd be playing that high up if he wasnt(similar to Hyman which is why many have come around on him...he's right where he should be)..But anyways...

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
1 more goal and Tavares will have the most goals of any Leaf since the start of the dead puck era (1996-97 to present). Since Andreychuk score 53 in 1994.

Also ties the record for most goals by a UFA in his first season with new club (I believe).

Time for Hyman to step aside and give Johnny Toronto those freebies so maybe he can hit 50.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

We have to keep Willie away from Chara like Carlyle did Kessel.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
AM34 has looked dominant out there the past couple of games, hopefully he keeps up this play going into the playoffs. I noticed that the 4th line and our bottom pairing hardly played.. Then looked at the TOI stats for last night game

Holl - 7:43
Oz - 8:42
Moore - 5:30
Brown - 7:30
Petan - 7:50

Just goes to show you how much better we are when our 3rd pairing d-pair isn't out there constantly giving the puck away.

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
I agree.

Nylander was get on the perimeter.
While i believe Matthews was absolutely dominant last night...people keep repeating this lie. I guess if you tell a lie long enough it becomes the truth for some?
Tavares goal was literally willy bringing the puck off the wall, recognizing Eichel was brain dead, making him clip his teammate and then going straight to the slot with the puck.
Against Philadelphia, Matthews goal Willy worked the wall and carried a body to make a pass from right behind the net (also know as a dirty area).
But you keep espousing myths with no substance behind them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->