Post-Game Talk: Leafs winn 4-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Wasn't really directed at you. My opinion doesn't change based on a game or two, we seem to swing back and forth too quick, rather look at a body of work. He was 1-6, about time he got a W is the way I look at.
That's true, he's still 8-7-1 on the year. Not bad considering he's a rookie backup playing the back half of back-to-backs all of the time and having a slumping team for the last while. There's definitely room for improvement, I just don't think that people taking shots at him in the GDT is deserved.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Sparks

giphy.gif

2 points

:yo:

Sparks needs to be photoshopped in that

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
It's not a surprise that you cherry pick Mcelhinney's best season of all time to go with your agenda. Mac's career average is .910 and Sparks is playing at a .903... Not much of a difference there, except age.

I didn't cherry pick anything, I took both goalies most recent seasons with the Leafs. For most reasonable people that would be the most common sense approach, because this years Leafs team is the closest comparable to last years team. Similar rosters, similar systems. I can compare their stats from this season if it makes you feel warm and fuzzy.

Sparks is a terrible goalie and he is the reason we wont have home ice this year.

Reactions: DarkKnight

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Are you ****ing kidding
Nylander the best .
You must have missed Mathews ????
Lol. What a good argument to have. Tavares was flying last night too. If the top 2 lines continue to drive the play as they have, they’ll be a tough team to beat

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Whaddya know, this team is capable of playing well even without adding some more depth Dmen, good to know.

Keep it up Auston, if you play like that every night this team could go places!
:laugh:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
The playoffs will be the big test.
I understand that in an 82 game season there are going to be no shows.
I would expect about 60 games of excellence from each of the 4.

But the playoffs, whoever doesn’t play like we just played Buffalo (aggressive, speed, behind the D, 50/50 puck battles, physically engaged) can get out.

No doubt about it, at least as far as I'm concerned. Nylander, Andersen, Matthews, Kadri and the whole gang, every single player will be judged by how they do in the playoffs, period. I think we can all agree that barring a slew of injuries, we'll be in the playoffs every year for many years to come. It also goes without saying that getting there is not enough, we need playoff success and we need it sooner as opposed to later. I also don't GAF who our opponents are, it's time to start putting together some wins resulting in series wins in the playoffs, that's what it's all about. And if we keep failing there, no amount of regular season success be it team or individual success will be enough to make up for it.

I hope our guys are ready to leave it all out there in April, nothing less will be acceptable!

Reactions: bax

Romkey

Jul 24, 2011
I find hes usually pretty invisible. Then he takes a few shots and scores. He doesnt usually take games over from what I've seen.
I was at the game and some Sabre fan was chanting "Eichel's better" then Matthews scored and I didn't hear another peep from him

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I'm not a big fan of pitting Leafs players against each other but I've heard lots of stuff lately about how Marner may be better than Matthews and I can understand where it comes from, but when the version of Matthews we've seen the last 2 games shows up, he is honestly a cut above Marner. Extremely few players around the league can match a 100% Matthews, he is seriously special.
so far in their NHL careers I'd say Marner is far more consistent in his "work ethic" than Mathews is, however when Mathews works hard it's difficult to say he isn't the better player. Mathews needs to find that effort game in, game out then he'd be truly be a force to reckon with.

Reactions: illusory

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
Happy with the effort on the back to back. We usually aren't very good in the 2nd game.

Matthews looking real good the last few games.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Willie should be a point per game player to earn his contract, particularly playing with Matthews. Every play doesn't equate to a "bargain" discussion, in fact it merely means "earning his keep". Why exaggerate, he's getting a big ticket, he's supposed to produce, when he does no need to over hype it. Every single time Willie gets a point there is a barrage of bargain posts, maybe it counters the hatefest, but it's just as irrelevant to reality. People way too polarized it seems. He has 6 assists his last 7 games, playing with a man possessed, fine.

upload_2019-3-21_9-1-34.jpeg

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
Same amount of games played, Mc had 6 more points, we are 6 points back of Boston with the tiebreaker in our back pocket. Seems like a pretty easy conclusion for most people to make.
Sparks got the loss for that Blackhawks game for giving up 1 goal when we lost 5-4. Sparks has been fine and he's not the first, second, or third reason why we're behind Boston in the standings.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
No doubt about it, at least as far as I'm concerned. Nylander, Andersen, Matthews, Kadri and the whole gang, every single player will be judged by how they do in the playoffs, period. I think we can all agree that barring a slew of injuries, we'll be in the playoffs every year for many years to come. It also goes without saying that getting there is not enough, we need playoff success and we need it sooner as opposed to later. I also don't GAF who our opponents are, it's time to start putting together some wins resulting in series wins in the playoffs, that's what it's all about. And if we keep failing there, no amount of regular season success be it team or individual success will be enough to make up for it.

I hope our guys are ready to leave it all out there in April, nothing less will be acceptable!
I think we can put to rest what the new age definition of physical is by watching last nights game. There is no reason not to maintain an aggressive pace, finish the check on the man (doesn’t need to put them through the boards) and use your body in addition to your stick to 50/50 battle.

Now it was only Buffalo so we need to maintain this style of play as we move up to better competition.

None of us want to lose but we can accept losing to a team that is further along at this time if that style of play and effort is present.

Last night is the team I want.

Reactions: illusory and RLF
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad