Post-Game Talk: Leafs win!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I think it's largely because people love Kadri and think someone smaller with less flash and grit could never replace him. Kerfoot makes the Leafs better and that's all that matters. Kerfoot was 3rd on the Leafs with 78 xgf% and outscored Ottawa 1-0. Pretty great night for a 3rd liner as far as I'm concerned
Correction: Kerfoot + 2 million dollar Tyson Barrie makes the Leafs better.

Kerfoot profiles as a perfect 3C. Great move by Dubas.

This is the kind of system Keefe was using. Babcock listened to him.

Excellent to see that type of growth from the coach. What a guy!

When is he eligible for a contract extension?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
It was a dumb move in a game that was already over and could’ve ended our best player’s season. Forgive us if we aren’t too choked up about a self-inflicted wound:

Clearly you have never played the sport, players continue to compete if Matthews didnt want to risk injury he would have ragged the puck. Are you at the point where you are expecting teams to just let the leafs score? Wishing a facial laciration on someone is sick, especially considering no one else was hurt.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
wtf is wrong with you people

Leafs fans say Brannstrom was being stupid and irresponsible. Sens fans say Matthews was being stupid and irresponsible.

One hockey player was going for a hat-trick. The other was trying to prevent a goal. Both were doing what they were supposed to be doing.

Neither did anything that would be penalized.

If it was dumb, as many on here suggest, for Brannstrom to try to stop the goal because the game was already over, then it was just as dumb for Matthews to be trying that hard to score in a game that was already over.

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It was a dumb move in a game that was already over and could’ve ended our best player’s season. Forgive us if we aren’t too choked up about a self-inflicted wound:
Correct, the game was over. Matthews should have just let up, IMO.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Clearly you have never played the sport, players continue to compete if Matthews didnt want to risk injury he would have ragged the puck. Are you at the point where you are expecting teams to just let the leafs score? Wishing a facial laciration on someone is sick, especially considering no one else was hurt.

First, I didn’t wish injury on Brannstrom. Second, he could’ve stopped Matthews from scoring any number of ways aside from trying to shove him into the net. Third, yeah maybe Matthews didn’t have to try so hard for that third goal.

If this had been Marincin nearly shoving Chabot into the post when the game was done you’d be just as mad as we were so get off your high horse. I don’t expect teams to let the Leafs score, but I do expect players to be smarter than the reckless play Brannstrom pulled that got himself injured.

Reactions: willmma

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
lmao you're preaching to the choir here pal

You think Leafs fans are new to other fans wishing injuries upon our players?

Reactions: stickty111

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
As for claims that the PP was great.

The first unit played 55% of the time, the second unit 45% - so not much difference.

The team had an xGF/60 on the PP of 6.46. Over the previous 3 years it was 8.95. They simply were not getting the amount of high quality chances they should be getting - against the worst team in the NHL - at the start of the seasons when PKs are generally bad and disorganized.

The second unit continues to be completely anemic. The first unit has diminishing returns the more stacked it becomes. Too many good players with not enough puck to go around.

I think it is pretty much a guarantee that this team will do worse on the PP this year than they did when they had two evenly split units (2016/17 and 2017/18) - despite having far more offensive talent now than they did then.

would like to see how the pp units do if they split up the pp units in terms of talent.

jt - marner - barrie on one unit (add your choice of mikheyev / aj / kap / muzzin / kerfoot)

matthews - nylander - reilly on one unit (add your choice of mikheyev / aj / kap / muzzin / kerfoot)

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Leafs fans say Brannstrom was being stupid and irresponsible. Sens fans say Matthews was being stupid and irresponsible.

One hockey player was going for a hat-trick. The other was trying to prevent a goal. Both were doing what they were supposed to be doing.

Neither did anything that would be penalized.

If it was dumb, as many on here suggest, for Brannstrom to try to stop the goal because the game was already over, then it was just as dumb for Matthews to be trying that hard to score in a game that was already over.

Yeah, I'm not sure why anyone thinks they weren't both party to a meaningless play, other than personal stats at the end of the game.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Lol DJ Smith left the Leafs and took Hainsey and Zaitsev with him.

How satisfying was it to see a different team do the long pass + chip, while the Leafs made actual passes in the neutral zone? Or seeing Zaitsev work really hard but lose a battle in the crease?

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
Good start. Especially for Mikheyev, Barrie, Moore, Sandin.

But it's time that we play against a real hockey team.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
I love our 3rd line. Skilled, fast and tenacious. All of Kerfoot, Mikky and Moore looked great.
I really like Mikheyev, guy is long, great windspan, closes the gap quickly when chasing the puck. Looks very polished with the puck, his goal was amazing. I'm trying to think of who he reminds me of, I can't quite put my finger on it, either way he was my favorite player to watch last night.

NightTrain1

Oct 20, 2013
Kane and Matthews' legal issues aren't "little problems", and he seemed to be implying all their problems will go away if they just score goals and win cups and Conn Smythe's. Not a good look.

Auston Matthews legal issue is literally a little problem

mis·de·mean·or
/ˌmisdəˈmēnər/

noun
  1. a minor wrongdoing.

Reactions: willmma and kb
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad