Post-Game Talk: Leafs win!

Status
Not open for further replies.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Av fans warned us about this part of his game. They also mentioned that Kerfoot will routinely do this and will eventually drive us bonkers down the road. But other than that, he's actually be pretty decent thus far.

The bolded was a good thing -transition defense. Forced the Sens into bad areas and turnovers

Reactions: kb

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
The bolded was a good thing -transition defense. Forced the Sens into bad areas and turnovers
Definitely. Goes to show how defense gets under appreciated.

Kerfoot has shown very little offense so far, but he’s been very good defensively.

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region

Ah, my bad. Read the bolded wrong. I meant transitional offense where he f***s up a routine pass in the zone etc -- which he did last night on one of the rushes.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
there's not a goalie in the league that would make some of this fan base happy since there's many fans who believe the vast majority of the goals we give up are soft while all ours are unstoppable snipes

Even you can admit, that first goal in game 7 last year, and the one where Gardiner was beat the year before were absolute back breakers.

Even the Krug goal that tied the game two years ago was OMEGA-ass.

Andersen folded, maybe it's fatigue, maybe it's mental, but his game 7 record even before he's come here apparently wasn't great.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Definitely. Goes to show how defense gets under appreciated.

Kerfoot has shown very little offense so far, but he’s been very good defensively.
He's allowed his wingers to shine last night because they have a safety net. I'll take that all day, every day.

Reactions: Mitch Tavares

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Even you can admit, that first goal in game 7 last year, and the one where Gardiner was beat the year before were absolute back breakers.

Even the Krug goal that tied the game two years ago was OMEGA-ass.

Andersen folded, maybe it's fatigue, maybe it's mental, but his game 7 record even before he's come here apparently wasn't great.
i'm not saying he was great , i'm just saying we don't hold the opposing tender to the same standard and believe all our goals were unstoppable

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
He's allowed his wingers to shine last night because they have a safety net. I'll take that all day, every day.
agreed. he also didn't wind up with about the same amount of 5v5 points as Kadri for no reason. he makes smart plays out there and really makes the team better

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
He looks like a poor man's Connor Brown.

The fact that they play completely different styles makes this comparison make no sense.

Brown has high player IQ but he doesn't have nearly the same speed or agility that Moore has. Moore is way more dynamic because of that speed.

Completely different play styles man lol.

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
He looks like a poor man's Connor Brown.
Poor because he's paid less, not because he isnt as good or better.His game is well suited for his roll. He's not a big guy by any means but he comes up with the puck on the boards and is always in the right position.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
i'm not saying he was great , i'm just saying we don't hold the opposing tender to the same standard and believe all our goals were unstoppable

Normally I'd agree, but after watching years of God Awful goaltending here, I think Andersen gets a ton of credit from fans.

After all, who knows soft back breaker goals more than the fanbase that has had to watch Raycroft, Toskala and Gustavsson lol

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Also, Hyman has come a long way in my books since 2016.

I legit miss him on this team, he's such a horse that never quits.

Reactions: NoName

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
and you keep ignoring you have to get to a game 7 and while he may have played great in those games it's obvious he didn't play anywhere near that level before getting there
He would have got their in game 5 if team was down 3 games. That is the point here. Big time goalies make big time saves when the game is on the line. No questions asked.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
He would have got their in game 5 if team was down 3 games. That is the point here. Big time goalies make big time saves when the game is on the line. No questions asked.
who's a big time goalie ?

how often do the top goalies in the league win the cup or do they always choke because there just great regular season goalies and not big time goalies ?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
who's a big time goalie ?

how often do the top goalies in the league win the cup or do they always choke because there just great regular season goalies and not big time goalies ?[/QUOTE
They can't be predicted. You either have it or you don't. There is no stat that can get you there. I feel that Woll seeing him play in maybe 40 elite level tournaments over the years has it.

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015
Lets put it this way. If the Leafs had Binnington last year in the playoffs, I'm confident that they make it out of the 1st round at the very least if not going further. On the otherhand I highly doubt that the Blues would be winning the Cup with Freddy in net for them. Heck I doubt they would've even made it to the playoffs with Freddy when the Blues were in last place and then made that amazing run to even get to the playoffs.

Sure the Leafs defense isn't as good as the Blues, but at the same time alot of the saves that Freddy makes aren't exactly A1 scoring chances. I've watched almost every Leafs game since he's arrived and a vast number if not majority of his games were like the one against the Sens yesterday. Make some decent saves and then let in a softie here and there. In the majority of games I've rarely seen him standing on his head and stealing games for us especially when we're talking about the playoffs.

So maybe stat wise Freddy doesn't look bad, but much like Derozan with the Raps, he hasn't shown that he can rise to the occasion and be able to help lead this team to victory. Derozan put up very good stats while he was here, but come playoff time he was crap and the same goes for Freddy. The defense needs to help Freddy more, but the same needs to happen in return where Freddy needs to put in some amazing performances that wins the Leafs games that they otherwise would've lost and so far I haven't seen very many of those kinds of performances from him.

I don't think it is at all fair to compare Freddy to Binnington, nothing against Binnington but remember that it was his first season in the NHL starting in the second half and he only played half of the games that Freddy played before the playoffs. Let's see how good he can do in the playoffs after playing 60 or more games like Freddy does. Who won the Vezina trophy last year, it was Vasilevskiy and how much did he do for the Lightning in the playoffs after playing a full season, the Blue Jackets outscored them 19-8 in 4 games.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Over the course of 60 minutes of hockey you're gonna allow quality scoring chances. The Leafs hardly allowed any high quantity of them last night. Most of what did amount to chances came from Ryan, Tkachuk, Brannstrom and Chabot who are all well above average players

And it's been 1 game ffs

Andersen getting blamed for letting in 3 goals. 2 of which were cross crease passes with blown coverage

Besides that there were 3 1-on-1 chances against him, all if them stopped

Game could easily have been 5-5

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I am not getting the Kerfoot hate. Are the people taking issue just looking at the box score? I thought he was excellent. i don't have the numbers here, not even sure if they are tracked this early, but he was a beast along the boards, and it felt like nearly every shift he was able to get possession and kill some offensive zone minutes.

He was strong on the puck and I saw him using his body along the boards to battle, which is opposite of the scouting report I got when he was traded here.

Is this another case of fans picking a scape goat and using whatever bias to only look for his mistakes? Let's not forget how useless Kadri was a lot of last year for us, Kerfoot isn't doing any worse for less money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad