Post-Game Talk: Leafs win!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
And the 19:50 period of time from the mid-second period to the mid-third period when things were no longer chaotic and yet Sandin played less than a minute?

What happened was embarrassing. If it happens again and Dubas doesn't send Sandin down to the Marlies for the rest of the season then Dubas is as bad as Babcock.

I will repeat my edit addition to the post you quoted:

Play him or send him down. I don't care that much which one they choose. On March 16th I said on here that Sandin would be in the opening night lineup and that despite playing great he would last 9 or fewer games because Babcock won't play him enough. That remains by far the most likely scenario. It has nothing to do with the player. Simply a bad coach.
Why don’t you wait more than one game before flying off your rocker? Wouldn’t that be more sensible? Again, if Sandin continues to thrive he’ll be given more. You can’t be too cautious but you can destroy a players confidence if you throw them out too early. Babcock is being cautious. Good call by him and the organization.

I think Babcock managed the game very well. When is he eligible for a contract extension?

...oh. Do you wanna buy a Luke Schenn jersey? Game worn from his rookie year. Logged a lot of minutes but very little development in it. He was thrown to the wolves too early. Wish they had have been more cautious with him. ;)

Reactions: hoglund and ACC1224

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Why don’t you wait more than one game before flying off your rocker? Wouldn’t that be more sensible? Again, if Sandin continues to thrive he’ll be given more. You can’t be too cautious but you can destroy a players confidence if you throw them out too early. Babcock is being cautious. Good call by him and the organization.

I think Babcock managed the game very well. When is he eligible for a contract extension?

...oh. Do you wanna buy a Luke Schenn jersey? Game worn from his rookie year. Logged a lot of minutes but very little development in it. He was thrown to the wolves too early. Wish they had have been more cautious with him. ;)

Sandin's deployment was not based on caution. It was based on a bad coach being a bad coach. No player can gain any confidence when sitting on the bench for 10+ minutes at a time, and no top-4 D was deployed like that when they started. NONE.

People who bring up Schenn are put on ignore by me. Schenn's "lack of development" was based on him being a dinosaur player who had no talent being drafted at a time when the NHL was moving away from that style of player, by a team that was living in the past. It's like asking why the gymnast didn't develop into an NBA star. Rielly played more than 18 minutes in his debut at the exact same age. Kaberle more than 29 in his debut when he was a year older. Sandin less than 9.

Send him down before he is ruined by Babcock.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Some just can't help themselves. The big picture isn't for everyone.

Zizzzzy

Dec 6, 2017
One wonders how Carrick and Borgman managed to play 16 minutes on opening night 2 years ago despite Rielly and Gardiner needing to get used to their new partners, and how 3rd pairing D Carrick managed to play almost 19 minutes the opening night of the season before that, and Dermott played 18 minutes the opening night last season.

I have also repeatedly said that I am perfectly happy with it if Babcock decides to play the third pairing very little. Great. Send Sandin down.

All you have to do is look up the various top-4 NHL D and see how much they played in their first game, first month, first season. NHL teams have long ago recognized that it is counterproductive to have a young D with potential playing minimal minutes on the 3rd pairing. If the can't start out in the top-4, they will either play decent minutes on the third pairing or get sent down.

I understand the point you're trying to counter with, but ice time from opening game 2 years ago is irrelevant honestly. Different team, different players, different circumstances and expectations. I'm just not understanding how you can say the are destroying his development because of few shifts worth of ice time in the first game of the season...

Maybe if two weeks from now he's still not playing as much as you feel he should be, I may not agree, but I would not be left feeling like you're just "being that guy" that criticizes anything he can, because you would actually have a sample size to support your issue beyond a single god damn game in which there were 9 penalties between the two teams.

Brown literally had an assist in the first shift of the game...

Haha yes I know. I actually missed the start of the game so I can accurately say I didn't hear or see him all game. :laugh:

Twowingcantfly

Jul 4, 2019
I know its just one game. I looks like handing the "C" to JT was a good move. That was the best 2 way game he played since we signed him. Hats off to Dubas.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
JT's line played a solid 2 way game, as Ottawa seem to line up their best line vs JT all game. Well done..

Their best line would be our 3rd line

Their 1st line winger is conor brown

JT and Marner did f*** all that 1st game.

Good thing there are 81 games until the real games start.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
You think the Leafs would of lost with Spezza in the line-up?
how in the name of Bucko MacDonald did you come up with this...sweep babee jeebuzz

Playin Spezza does not influence the chance to win. the fourth line is filled with low impact players

exactly and the only reason to play him would be based on some notion of sentimentality

we got the two points move on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->