Post-Game Talk: Leafs win!

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I disagree. Going to the bench would have given them a man advantage. Dropping the stick isn't a great option either.

I think the best thing that could have happened was seeing Hainsey continue to play with the broken stick. There was what, 15 seconds left? If you touch the puck... so what... you create a stoppage in play, and a good chance at clearing the zone.
If you watch the replay, Hainsey gets Tavares stick, Tavares goes to cover Marchand at the point and pushes him at the line, but not before Marchand passes off the puck. Tavares goes to the bench, not 10 feet away, but it still gave Marchand free passage down the left boards, if Pastrnak saw him it would have created an odd man situation down that left side, he decided to shoot instead. Could have been a different outcome if he saw Marchand open.

Playing with a broken Stick is also a penalty...another man down with a face off in your zone.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Healy said yesterday that penalties refs called “disturbed the flow of the game” for him.. He sure prefers where bruins would faul the leafs with no call and go the other way to score. What a moron.
What an idiot. What kind of flow was there on Saturday? The flow of blood from missed calls from the refs?

These Neanderthals are hilarious. Did you hear Cherry during the intermissions. Basically said Leafs fans got their wish and chintzy calls were being made.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
What an idiot. What kind of flow was there on Saturday? The flow of blood from missed calls from the refs?

These Neanderthals are hilarious. Did you hear Cherry during the intermissions. Basically said Leafs fans got their wish and chintzy calls were being made.

Damn right we got our wish - last night was a much better officiated game than the first 2 games, where the refs didn't really.... do anything.

GLobello

Dec 1, 2015

Healy is just another pissed off ex-Leaf that will take any shot he can at them. Dude got booted off HNIC because of how stupid his takes were and this one is no different.

It's really shocking he's a high up at the NHLPA and he preferred the game on Saturday where there was such a high chance for some of his "members" or "brothers" as union people like to say to get injured because of how shitty the referees called that came. Someone in his position should have been furious for how game 2 was called.

F him

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
So you would rather allow Boston to maintain possession (essentially playing 6 v 4) than to stop the play and have a better chance at getting possession to clear the zone and to end the game (at actually 6 v 4)??

yes, because if they win that offensive zone faceoff, they have a sold 20 seconds of 6-4 possession.

At least if we have a guy out there with no stick, he can use the body to box out players or at least get into a shooting lane.

Just my personal opinion/preference

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
"Crushed"? That's just battling for the puck. Do that 250 times a year and then he'll be John Tavares and then I'll be impressed.

Plus Debrusk actually fell before he made any contact with him. It's pretty telling that that play gets a round of applause.

Leaf4Life79

Jun 30, 2018
St. Thomas, ON
Healy is just another pissed off ex-Leaf that will take any shot he can at them. Dude got booted off HNIC because of how stupid his takes were and this one is no different.

It's really shocking he's a high up at the NHLPA and he preferred the game on Saturday where there was such a high chance for some of his "members" or "brothers" as union people like to say to get injured because of how ****ty the referees called that came. Someone in his position should have been furious for how game 2 was called.

F him

Can't stand that guy... he was a garbage goalie to boot!

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
To anyone who attended the game - what happened upstairs in the 303-305 area after the game.

There was a big police presence and blood everywhere.

Did anyone catch what happened? Was told Bruins fans weren't involved.

bigbabybuda

Feb 19, 2014
Canada
I've now watched those 2 blocked shots at the end of the game 20 times. He gets up to take a third puck too if it was needed. That was just so sexy. O.G shit right there. You just know one of those shots finds the back of the net if he doesn't block them.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
To anyone who attended the game - what happened upstairs in the 303-305 area after the game.

There was a big police presence and blood everywhere.

Did anyone catch what happened? Was told Bruins fans weren't involved.
Had no idea. I'm in 323, so that would have been right around the corner from me.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014

It's really shocking he's a high up at the NHLPA and he preferred the game on Saturday where there was such a high chance for some of his "members" or "brothers" as union people like to say to get injured because of how ****ty the referees called that came. Someone in his position should have been furious for how game 2 was called.

F him

He's no brother. He hates the leafs. Heated games are caused by p!ss poor refs and cause injuries without one doubt.

All the sleeping dogs wake up when they get mad and frustrated by sh!tty reffing.

They need to look out for each others health if they are brothers and absolutely clean you out with clean hits if they get the chance.

That game Saturday was a pooly reffed game. Everyone knows that.

Bostoners will be vicious Wednesday again and we will let them take their penalties and get closer to closing out this series with speed and skill thanks. ;)

HOF Paul Henderson

Jan 16, 2019
Haha I was just about to post something about Andersen. I said it before the playoffs that he's the key, just as goaltending is pretty much ALWAYS the key in the playoffs. And the biggest reason for optimism going in was the fact that after slumping, he seemed to have found his form again in the last couple of games. Still, goalies are so hard to predict, so many people had no confidence because his playoff stats haven't been as good as his regular season stats and so on and so forth so I can't fault people for being somewhat nervous about him but at this point, there is no reason for anyone to be concerned.

I knew he'd been playing fantastic but .939 SV%, holy moley! Everyone else will have their ups and downs and in the end, we'll probably go as far as Freddie takes us. As of today, with TB down 3-0 and the cup race as wide open as it's even been that looks like it could potentially be a helluva long way.

I have to admit to feeling something like a yo-yo. I was so down after losing the last game and hearing about Kadri's hearing but today, we're up 2-1, we know that if we get past Boston Kadri will be back AND we will NOT have to face a well rested TB team should we get that far ... things are looking pretty damn rosy right about now.

Edit - oh yeah and one more thing. Does anyone still think that we are NOT contenders? That we simply can't win the way this team is built? That Dubas is a "young GM" over his head and is a fool for saying our D is underrated and thus won't address that issue (oh wait, he got us Muzzin didn't he). :laugh::laugh:

I don’t think we’re contenders yet. We’re winning on the back of Freddie Andersen, like you said. We will have to actually win for me to change my mind on our status as legit contenders. This series is still very up in the air and last night could have gone either way.

There is reason for cautious optimism - but make it very cautious. Boston fans, their team and their media are all still very confident they will win.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
I have to admit, Zeitsev has been playing very well this series, and he was looking better the last few weeks of the season.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
yes, because if they win that offensive zone faceoff, they have a sold 20 seconds of 6-4 possession.

At least if we have a guy out there with no stick, he can use the body to box out players or at least get into a shooting lane.

Just my personal opinion/preference

First of all, Hainsey dropped his stick with 20 seconds left.... No Leaf would have been able to touch the puck right away either... so we're really just talking about 10 seconds to end the game...

I still don't understand how Boston maintaining possession on 6 v 4.5 in the offensive zone is a better tradeoff than regrouping and potentially winning back possession on a faceoff at 6 v 4...

I guess we'll agree to disagree.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I don’t think we’re contenders yet. We’re winning on the back of Freddie Andersen, like you said. We will have to actually win for me to change my mind on our status as legit contenders. This series is still very up in the air and last night could have gone either way.

There is reason for cautious optimism - but make it very cautious. Boston fans, their team and their media are all still very confident they will win.

We have as good a shot as any to advance far in the playoffs.

Reactions: bigbabybuda

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
I think our defense worked out perfect. Gardiner never getting caught out against Bergeron and having Rielly free from defensive match ups. The only thing we could ask for is if Zeitsev was a bit smarter offensively but other than that I'm really happy with this defense and how they are being utilized.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Muzzin has been an incredible addition so far. Cassidy is trying to get Bergeron's line away from him
You gotta wonder if Pastrnak regrets that hit on Muzzin in game 2.

Muzzin was looking for blood last night when Pastrnak was on the ice with him :laugh:

Reactions: willmma

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
Matthews line was our best offensive line last night at even strength and we need that to continue. I'd argue the biggest difference wasn't that Matthews stepped up (I think he's good in both wins) but rather that Johnsson got going and had a hell of a game. Kapanen has really struggled but when 2/3 of the line is clicking he can be carried along. If Johnsson struggles that whole line will, until Kappy snaps out of his funk.

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
You gotta wonder if Pastrnak regrets that hit on Muzzin in game 2.

Muzzin was looking for blood last night when Pastrnak was on the ice with him :laugh:
I laughed a couple times yesterday because Pasta is playing scared and blind passing it fast out of the corner because he knows Muzzin is going to smoke him into the boards

Reactions: SAMCRO44

The Assclown

Dec 7, 2015
I laughed a couple times yesterday because Pasta is playing scared and blind passing it fast out of the corner because he knows Muzzin is going to smoke him into the boards

What a nice change from his stupid cocky smirks throughout game two.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

I said Freddie's been great, I didn't say we're winning on his back. When teams do well in the playoffs, they almost have great goaltending, look it up if you don't believe me. There's a lot more to this team than Andersen.

The series is up in the air - yes of course it is. We're the favourites at this point though, that much seems clear.

Am I supposed to care what Boston fans and their media think?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad