Post-Game Talk: Leafs win and sweep California

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
He doesn't have the ice time or provide any offense to price himself out. Your takes are as bad as how you like your toast
Benoit will overprice his value HERE, because that's what players do while playing in Toronto. Was Schenn's stellar offence what priced him out of Toronto? Wake the f*** up.

Enjoy getting yeeted in the games that matter and then acting all confused as to how that happened. This is not a team built to go deep in the playoffs. This is a team built to sell seats. But we haven't won jack shit since 67 and that isn't going to change under this current team's build and it's overpaying a schlub like Willy as to part of the reason why.

Maybe you'll figure this out in another 56 years?

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022
Benoit will overprice his value HERE, because that's what players do while playing in Toronto.

Enjoy getting yeeted in the games that matter and then acting all confused as to how that happened. This is not a team built to go deep in the playoffs. This is a team built to sell seats. But we haven't won jack shit since 67 and that isn't going to change under this current team's build and it's overpaying a schlub like Willy as to part of the reason why.

I'm not confused as to how it happened. You seem confused so you're only option is to use angry dumb posts to make your point

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Who’s to say Nylander plays this hard with that extension? It’s all hindsight. There’s no way to know, which is why it’s stupid to sit on a high horse and get mad at Brad. Good on Nylander for bringing it, but I’m not gonna shit on Brad for trying to keep that number below 10, especially when that’s what this entire market wanted 5 months ago.
the only thing that matters is what Bill wants

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
I'm not confused as to how it happened. You seem confused so you're only option is to use angry dumb posts to make your point
Yes. You apparently are.

Like we couldn't pay to keep Schenn, we will not be able to pay to keep Benoit.

We are f***ed.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Yeah he could. I'd rather just walk tbh. Watching him 5v5 is quite painful to be honest. Good on the PP, but even strength, I think we could get someone better suited.

It would also allow Matthews to be the captain without it being a massive issue.
34 will never captain the TMLHC

The player has to want the job, it isn't in his makeup.

Reactions: LeafSteel

horner

May 22, 2007
Thank goodness Tavares isn't a star player or anything like that.

In other news our old friend Zach Hyman put up his 3rd hatty of the season last night, he now has 25 goals on the season. I can only imagine what it would be like having a LW like him in the top 6!
I for one wanted him signed and kerfoot trade to make room.

His contract may have been a yr to long but he was getting better every yr.

Can you imagine them signing Bunting back then to..

I did not expect this kind of production.

That was the yr we signed Ritchie for 2.5 mil

Last edited:

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Yes. You apparently are.

Like we couldn't pay to keep Schenn, we will not be able to pay to keep Benoit.

We are f***ed.
They are going to ride out the last year of the Tavares deal and them magically reload and make a deep run. Meanwhile the teams behind us load up on the high draft picks and close the gap. I can see us getting through this but I can also see them implode. It has the makings of a great soap opera.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
They are going to ride out the last year of the Tavares deal and them magically reload and make a deep run. Meanwhile the teams behind us load up on the high draft picks and close the gap. I can see us getting through this but I can also see them implode. It has the makings of a great soap opera.
I look forward to the incoming "fire Keefe" threads as the Willy fanboys refuse to acknowledge that Willy is uncoachable towards winning a Stanley Cup championship and what that all entails from him as a leader of this team.

"it's insert current coach's name's fault"

Reactions: ToneDog

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I for one wanted him signed and kerfoot trade to make room.

His contract may have been a yr to long but he was getting better every yr.

Can you imagine them signing Bunting back then to..

I did not expect this kind of production.
Honestly, what we gave up to keep Kerfoot on this team makes my stomach roll. It really does.

Hyman should have been resigned. Plain and simple.

Terrible oversight by Dubas letting him go.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Bro, you're obsessed with Willy.

I get not liking a player, but here's a guy scoring at a near 50 goal, 120 point pace, who loves playing here by all accounts, and there's a decent chunk of the fanbase who hates him and just wants to get rid of him just because.

I literally can't imagine the outcry this board and fanbase would have if we let Willy go and he continued playing and producing as well as he has been. And heaven forbid if he had some playoff success along the way.
Who hates Will?

Are you talking about people who were critical of him when he was taking shifts and sometimes whole games off? Are you talking about people who weren't liking it when he just refused to engage along the board, or in corners? The Will who was getting benched now and then by this coach both in the AHL and here, the same coach who's now playing Will 20mins a night.

Will no longer avoids the boards, corners or the crease. I can't remember the last time he took a shift off, let alone a game. We all knew the talent was there, we could all see it, but just didn't like that he wasn't using it.

horner

May 22, 2007
Honestly, what we gave up to keep Kerfoot on this team makes my stomach roll. It really does.

Hyman should have been resigned. Plain and simple.

Terrible oversight by Dubas letting him go.
We signed Ritchie that yr for 2.5 mil

Iam pretty sure treliving would have played that differently.

Thank God Bunting turned out the way he did

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Benoit will overprice his value HERE, because that's what players do while playing in Toronto. Was Schenn's stellar offence what priced him out of Toronto? Wake the f*** up.

The Leafs could double Benoit's salary and he'd be making a little more than Liljegren is today so I think the money side is under control. He's also RFA.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Last year

1704648294604.png

This year

1704648143064.png

What a difference a year makes while touring sunny California. :wg:

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

Schenn is not far off from having played 1000 NHL games and had one of his better seasons offensively last year. He was also 33 and looking to sign what may very well be his last NHL contract with term. Conversely, Benoit is 25, currently pointless and with a season of RFA remaining. There probably shouldn't be much of a contractual comparison here.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Wtf? I 100% guarantee we will keep Benoit and can afford him.
Don't guarantee nothing with this inept cap structure. We couldn't keep Bunting, Hyman, Schenn, passed on Anderson, had to let both Kerfoot and Kadri go because we can't afford a 3C now. You don't get to keep Knies or Bunting or anyone else who might remotely consider their value at 5M.

This is our lot and how we are built the last 7 years. It's why we haven't won f*** all and will continue to win f*** all.

And yes, you should be frusturated. And hockey fan with half a brain could tell ya to remove the Leaf goggles and think objectively.

THIS IS NOT HOW TEAMS BUILD CHAMPIONSHIPS.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Schenn is not far off from having played 1000 NHL games and had one of his better seasons offensively last year. He was also 33 and looking to sign what may very well be his last NHL contract with term. Conversely, Benoit is 25, currently pointless and with a season of RFA remaining. There probably shouldn't be much of a contractual comparison here.
Please do not use logic, facts, and relevant information to screw up over the top, dying for attention narratives.

You don’t like first hand examples of what happens when you mix Red Bull and cocaine or something?????

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
1704648868007.png

4 goals and 18 assists?

Schenn wasn't signed for his offensive output. And neither will Benoit. It's for both's similar tough in front of our net and in the corners play. Schenn is 33 sure, Benoit is going to look for term as well. He's gonna look for a pay bump. And we will likely have to walk on either he or McCabe. The point is when you sign a selfish prick like Nylander to almost 2 mil over value, it means you gotta cut corners somewhere else.

This team/market just LOVES being taken advantage of.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
Leafs sweep California, playing 23 solid games in a row - about to sign our leading scorer, top goal scorer nets league leading 30th, insurance goalie turning into a viable option in net - blow it all up!

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Leafs sweep California, playing 23 solid games in a row - about to sign our leading scorer, top goal scorer nets league leading 30th, insurance goalie turning into a viable option in net - blow it all up!
Leafs won't go deep in the postseason for the duration of the new contract signed because of the implications that it brings to the table.

Since Willy will never win any personal trophies and will not be able to represent his country in the Olympics...he may as well retire at this point because he's peaked. The next 8 years are just a formality of playing it out.

Ya. That sucks.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Don't guarantee nothing with this inept cap structure. We couldn't keep Bunting, Hyman, Schenn, passed on Anderson, had to let both Kerfoot and Kadri go because we can't afford a 3C now. You don't get to keep Knies or Bunting or anyone else who might remotely consider their value at 5M.

This is our lot and how we are built the last 7 years. It's why we haven't won f*** all and will continue to win f*** all.

And yes, you should be frusturated. And hockey fan with half a brain could tell ya to remove the Leaf goggles and think objectively.

THIS IS NOT HOW TEAMS BUILD CHAMPIONSHIPS.
We'll sign Benoit easily. What are you talking about not being able to re-sign Benoit?

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
We'll sign Benoit easily. What are you talking about not being able to re-sign Benoit?
You don't get to keep all the toys you could have when you sign a selfish prick like William.

And in the end, you will blame all the cheap knock offs we have to pick up to fill out our roster, instead of at the leadership who've milked our cap dry.

But you won't win f*** all with Willy. He's seen to that.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
You don't get to keep all the toys you could have when you sign a selfish prick like William.

And in the end, you will blame all the cheap knock offs we have to pick up to fill out our roster, instead of at the leadership who've milked our cap dry.

But you won't win f*** all with Willy. He's seen to that.
They won last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad