Post-Game Talk: Leafs win and sweep California

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Benoit will very quickly price himself out of Toronto.

It's okay though we signed Willy
Bro, you're obsessed with Willy.

I get not liking a player, but here's a guy scoring at a near 50 goal, 120 point pace, who loves playing here by all accounts, and there's a decent chunk of the fanbase who hates him and just wants to get rid of him just because.

I literally can't imagine the outcry this board and fanbase would have if we let Willy go and he continued playing and producing as well as he has been. And heaven forbid if he had some playoff success along the way.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Benoit at most will be sign at 1.5mil-2mil. Both Ian Cole and Soucy signed for 3mil this past summer, one of them is very experienced and the other is just better than Benoit. Don't think he will sign more than that.
I doubt he gets more than a mil but who really knows

Reactions: Gabriel426

horner

May 22, 2007
Benoit type of players are what we've been needing all along. And they're so easy to deal with and you don't have to pay them much. They're easy to play with and coach because they're just steady players playing a simple game. Coach knows what he's going to get 90% of the time. And teammates know what he's gonna do, because he does it 90% of the time.

It was so infuriating having to watch Dermott, Sandin, Gustafsson, Timmins play the 3rd pair. All in a bid to squeeze every single ounce of offense from this team.
It's funny Treliving 2 weeks on the job signs Benoit to a cheap contract plays tough hits limited offence play within his means.
Dubas they were out there when you were here Benoit didn't fit your mold .
Treliving find us more please

arso40

Jun 7, 2022

I get not liking a player, but here's a guy scoring at a near 50 goal, 120 point pace, who loves playing here by all accounts, and there's a decent chunk of the fanbase who hates him and just wants to get rid of him just because.

I literally can't imagine the outcry this board and fanbase would have if we let Willy go and he continued playing and producing as well as he has been. And heaven forbid if he had some playoff success along the way.
It’s actually rediculous what goes on around here and some of the takes

Reactions: Forgotusername

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I agree with this. They actually protect their f***ing goalie

I'm no longer shocked when someone jumps a guy poking at out goalies pads or glove. In fact I am shocked if no one does.

Gio, McCabe, Domi, Jarnkrok, Benoit, Lagesson, Rielly, f***ing Marner, Liljegren and others have jumped to the rescue of the goalies, and even sometimes their teammates

It kinda feels like this is sort of a team...
I am liking me some Benoit that’s for sure!
Pleasant surprise

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Nylander looked very pumped and happy in his pre-period bench routine. Proceeds to snipe 2 key goals. I bet we hear about the new contract soon.

Jones was good when he had to be. Solid 3 games on this trip from him.

Marner, Mathew’s buzzing all night, they were a few posts and blocked shots away multi goal games.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Bertuzzi is becoming a beast on the 3rd line.
Bert the goals will come.

Knies stop worrying about feeding your linemater in close. If you are driving to the net shot.
You have a great shot.
I think even marner let him know that.
Knies, Bert, Gregor and to an extent Domi/Jarnkrok all will drive and get to the dirty areas to bang home pucks. So you pretty have someone on every line for the playoffs trying to get the greasy goal.

Tavares will as well, and no one really drives the net as much as Nylander, and if you watched last night, he is starting to camp out in front a little more. He took a few good shots to the ribs last night and stayed.

Dare I dream that this team might be a little more playoff ready?

Reactions: banks and horner

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
No reason to think that
I would think there are at least some indications that he is.

If it was so obvious that it is impossible to win paying 3 forwards 10+ each and Dubas was an idiot for doing so, you don't bring in a new GM and them jump to 4.

Reactions: stickty111

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I would think there are at least some indications that he is.

If it was so obvious that it is impossible to win paying 3 forwards 10+ each and Dubas was an idiot for doing so, you don't bring in a new GM and them jump to 4.
If you believe your way of thinking is the only correct way you may be right. I doubt very much Shanahan is the only person in the game that feels that way.
Treliving just quit a job because he didn’t have control to do as he wished, he’s not going to come here and just do as he’s told.

Reactions: saltming and Jojalu

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
If you believe your way of thinking is the only correct way you may be right. I doubt very much Shanahan is the only person in the game that feels that way.
Treliving just quit a job because he didn’t have control to do as he wished, he’s not going to come here and just do as he’s told.
Fair point. We will never really know. Speculation is might keeps this site active

Reactions: ACC1224

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
5 mil * 2 yrs or see you later
So we save 6 million per year but just the raises William and Mathews received are about 7 million. Same 4 guys at a million more per year than today. Marner will also want a raise, sure the cap may go up by 5 but with a million more for Marner we will net about 3 extra million, about one 3rd liner. So no big difference at all.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Benoit at most will be sign at 1.5mil-2mil. Both Ian Cole and Soucy signed for 3mil this past summer, one of them is very experienced and the other is just better than Benoit. Don't think he will sign more than that.
but if Willy could get almost 2 mil more than his worth, then surely Benoit is a 4-5 mil guy in Toronto.

I'm actually obsessed with the Toronto Maple Leafs. And this stupid signing/overpay has all but killed our future chances at winning anything. So do I like winning only 1 f***ing round in 7 years? Or no cup since 67? No. But our lot hasn't now gotten BETTER having signed Willy.

It got worse. And only a willfully blind fan could try to spin this as a positive. His production has peaked. From here until 35, he will only produce less than what he is right now. And we won't win a god damn thing as a result.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Enjoyed watching Knies and Bertuzzi.

Benoit is becoming a favourite and needs to be resigned pronto. He’s changed this team single handed, along with Jones. Really shrewd signings by Treliving.

Nice sweep. Really hoping we don’t get taken to the cleaners on Nylander’s contract but we always pay the price for not signing guys sooner, and it will be the case again here apparently.

When has waiting to sign our marquee worked out for us?

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
The posts kept the score somewhat respectable. Total domination from start to finish. It was good to see the Leafs not play down to the level of the competition.

Nylander is earning his raise.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
but if Willy could get almost 2 mil more than his worth, then surely Benoit is a 4-5 mil guy in Toronto.

I'm actually obsessed with the Toronto Maple Leafs. And this stupid signing/overpay has all but killed our future chances at winning anything. So do I like winning only 1 f***ing round in 7 years? Or no cup since 67? No. But our lot hasn't now gotten BETTER having signed Willy.

It got worse. And only a willfully blind fan could try to spin this as a positive. His production has peaked. From here until 35, he will only produce less than what he is right now. And we won't win a god damn thing as a result.
Nylander's production has increased consistently leading up to this season. At his age, there's no logical reason to assume he has already peaked. He is entering his prime. It would be reasonable to assume that his production will start to decline in 4-5 years.

If his peak is a 40-50 goal/100 point player and he maintains that level into his early 30s, he is worth an 11.5 million AAV all day long.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
5 mil * 2 yrs or see you later

No chance they offer him that, nor would he sign it.

Based on where he's at today, with a projected slight drop in his production next year, 4 @ 7M+.

Remember, this is MLSE we're talking about, not a normal hockey franchise.

(To be clear, I'm with you - I'm just stating what I likely see happening)

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Disagree, listening to many of the insiders it sounds like they are going to get Marner done as well. This likely spells the end of Tavares after his contract is up. Either he takes a really cheap discount or he’s not playing in Toronto past his current contract.

The plan has always been to lean on the core 3 forwards. Toronto has a ton of money coming off the books. They are gonna make it all work and wait for that Tavares 11 mill to be gone.

I think it comes down to its hard to acquire star players and you gotta keep them when you have them.
Thank goodness Tavares isn't a star player or anything like that.

In other news our old friend Zach Hyman put up his 3rd hatty of the season last night, he now has 25 goals on the season. I can only imagine what it would be like having a LW like him in the top 6!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad