Post-Game Talk: LEAFS WIN ! A rare home victory after sleeping in the first two periods.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Just as a statement towards general criticism: Grabovski and Kulemin are the checking line obviously. They very rarely see time outside of trying to keep the opposing teams top line in check. The year where they put up big numbers they had lots of time playing against weaker lines. It's a tough job they have now and they should be commended and I doubt they like it that much actually. Carlyle doesn't praise them very often because he seems quite reticent until his players put out a top notch effort. It really is a work in progress with those two because they are being forced into a very tough role. Give em credit. Trade them to another team where they are not forced to play such extreme defense and of course they will flourish but don't disregard the role they are expected to play now.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Despite the giveaways in the 1st period, which were pretty terrible :laugh:, Phaneuf did a great job shutting down Clarkson and he almost drew frustration penalties from him in at least 2 instances that I saw

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Leafs with 14 ROW right now. Only Chicago has more with 16.

If this were back in the day before loser points and shootouts, we'd be tied for 1st in the east and second in the league.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Leafs pulled out a nice one in the third period there, but they aren't going to keep winning at this rate if they keep showing up for 1/3 of games. They've been outplayed and made to look pretty bad in most of their games lately, win or lose.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
If only they could play more like the third period they played last night...Sigh.

A win is a win but the first 2 periods of that game on home ice was pathetic. They need to play with urgency and emotion at home, especially coming out of the gate, not only in the third period.

I hope they can carry that momentum though.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
If only they could play more like the third period they played last night...Sigh.

A win is a win but the first 2 periods of that game on home ice was pathetic. They need to play with urgency and emotion at home, especially coming out of the gate, not only in the third period.

I hope they can carry that momentum though.

Over the past half dozen games they've looked like they're just letting the other team get to the puck first. It's bizarre.

edit: mostly in their own zone, which is even more bizarre. It's like they can just set up a puck cycle effortlessly and we give them a good 5 feet from the boards in to do whatever they want. Really sloppy breakouts, too, making the problems in our own zone way worse.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Even if he was the odd C out, I don't know how they could let a guy like him walk.

As Don Cherry would say "A good Kingston Boy!" He was actually offered more money to stay in Colorado but wanted to play here. :)

Edit: Sorry been mentioned already, my bad

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
McClement is a great defensive player and certainly one of the best PK'ers I've ever seen. But there's no way in hell he should be getting this much icetime at even strength. And yes, I realize I'm saying this after he scored an unassisted goal to tie the game in the third. That doesn't change what he is, and what he isn't.

Ideally he would center a shutdown line with like, Komarov and Kulemin or something. Kadri's line needs to be getting a good 3+ more minutes per game.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
McClement is a great defensive player and certainly one of the best PK'ers I've ever seen. But there's no way in hell he should be getting this much icetime at even strength. And yes, I realize I'm saying this after he scored an unassisted goal to tie the game in the third. That doesn't change what he is, and what he isn't.

Ideally he would center a shutdown line with like, Komarov and Kulemin or something. Kadri's line needs to be getting a good 3+ more minutes per game.

Were missing two of our top 9 forwards. Of course hes going to be getting more ice time.

Guaranteed when Lupul and Frattin are back Jay centres the 4th line, probably with Komarov and one of the fighters.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto

McClement is only getting the ice time he's getting due to circumstance, not because Carlyle is too stubborn to realize that McClement doesn't have the offensive prowess to be playing such high minutes at even strength. When Lupul and Frattin are both back in the line up, McClement's ice time will drop but he'll still be an important player on the roster that does the little things that most people won't even notice or take the time to appreciate.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Yeah, his one and only shift with Kadri. Can you show me when Grabo set up Kulemin like that and Kulemin was terrible with the puck?

That wasn't a shift, it was a line change. Kulemin came off the bench,

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Over the past half dozen games they've looked like they're just letting the other team get to the puck first. It's bizarre.

edit: mostly in their own zone, which is even more bizarre. It's like they can just set up a puck cycle effortlessly and we give them a good 5 feet from the boards in to do whatever they want. Really sloppy breakouts, too, making the problems in our own zone way worse.

pretty sure that's the coach instructing them not to chase the puck when it's out of their "zone".

When they don't chase, they do give up more possession along the boards, but they don't create large gaps inside for the other team to exploit.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Paul Hendrick ‏@HennyTweets

Dion phaneuf had quite a night vs n.j. 10 hits, 6 blocked shots, 26:21 of ice and plus 1

Kurisu

mad scientist
Aug 13, 2012
In A Lonely Corner

the blueline continues to chip the pucks off the board (due to their lack of mobility and puck skills) instead of making crisp first passes out of the zone so the opposing team is always in possesion of the puck. Why can't Carlyle get it out of his *** and add a mobile defencemen onto the team.

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Paul Hendrick ‏@HennyTweets

Dion phaneuf had quite a night vs n.j. 10 hits, 6 blocked shots, 26:21 of ice and plus 1

Other than one shift where he gave the puck away twice, I thought Phaneuf had a real good game. He was really physically engaged, and he definitely took Clarkson off his game. He had a few really good checks on Kovalchuk, too.

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON
the blueline continues to chip the pucks off the board (due to their lack of mobility and puck skills) instead of making crisp first passes out of the zone so the opposing team is always in possesion of the puck. Why can't Carlyle get it out of his *** and add a mobile defencemen onto the team.

He's stubborn as hell. He's got one sitting in the press box (who wasn't even playing bad, better than the AHL kids / Gunnarsson), yet he continues to sit him. I think it'll bite us in the ass soon - our breakouts are worse than Peewee hockey.

Other than one shift where he gave the puck away twice, I thought Phaneuf had a real good game. He was really physically engaged, and he definitely took Clarkson off his game. He had a few really good checks on Kovalchuk, too.

Yeah he was fantastic - especially cause the rest of the D was shaky. Good on Dion to take charge.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It occurred to me at some point in the 2nd why I always dump Devils tickets, so dull to watch. 3rd made up for it though.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
Good to see a different team come out for the third. Seemed like they just holding onto the puck way too long for the first two periods, not thinking quick enough and making fast passes.

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON
RE Carlye, I don't know why just doesn't sit a pairing on a back-to-back night?

Gunnarsson and Kostka, as a pair, haven't played amazing, and I'm sure Liles-Komisarek would be a nice pairing to split time with the Fraser-Franson pairing. Sit Gunnar-Kostka and give the two in the pressbox a chance.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
RE Carlye, I don't know why just doesn't sit a pairing on a back-to-back night?

Gunnarsson and Kostka, as a pair, haven't played amazing, and I'm sure Liles-Komisarek would be a nice pairing to split time with the Fraser-Franson pairing. Sit Gunnar-Kostka and give the two in the pressbox a chance.

We need Gunnar firing on all cylinders. He needs to figure it out by playing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad