Post-Game Talk: Leafs win a Barn Burner complete the COMEBACK

Status
Not open for further replies.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
As I said, it's up to Matthews and Nylander to make it impossible to split them again, they control their destiny. People forget he had then together when Willie came back and it wasn't working. Here's the opportunity and they're seizing it. Fun to watch. Great to see Matthews "stepping" up, the team is still evolving before our eyes. We aren't a finished product by any definition, last night was a good struggle to overcome.

are you sure it isn't because Babcock has finally learned his lesson?(I actually read this quaint thought in this very PGT!):laugh:

I really hope that LeaFland never changes...there are just too many eye rolls, head shakes and laughs to be had really, and they would be sorely missed

I do agree with you 100% though, Nylander needs to earn the spot and then keep earning it

Last edited:

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
No he wasn't. We traded a player who should be a healthy scratch but whose contract was very much in play for one that would be on the LTIR.

Better for us but better for CBJ too since they were paying Horton. We needed space, they needed $$$

The Leafs have never used one cent of space from Horton being on the LTIR during his entire time with the Leafs.

I'll raise you
Toronto Maple Leafs trade Jason Blake and Vesa Toskala

at the same time!

This weak narrative dies hard I see. You see the insured contract of Clarkson meant that it was/is moveable and it has since changed hands. The Horton contract wasn't moveable. The Leafs are probably destined to handling the last year of Horton's deal as LTIR overage next season while Columbus have no cap implications from this deal any longer.

You're correct. I'm disappointed in so many fans that they don't appreciate why the Horton/Clarkson was done at the time. Now, so many phantom trades are done with LTIRs being traded....for no apparent reason.
I know it's just money for Rogers and Bell, co owners of the Leafs...and they just raise our telecom rates to get their money. But isn't incredible of all the "lost" money they spend for the incompetence of Burke and Nonis. Buying out Grabowski, Horton (due to the Clarkson signing. The firing of Burke and his 10 VPs and Nonis. Firing of Wilson and Carlyle. Plus the lost money because they assembled such poor teams.

The very fact that 100% of the rookie bonuses aren't carrying over means that the LTIR from Horton's contract isn't coming into play to the team's cap calculation. The team only gains a benefit from LTIR when at the cap limit has been exceeded by replacement contract(s) (not including rookie bonuses).

weird there I was in the PGT and all of a sudden without warning i was in the let's re-chew this stale old cud that ol bessie the cow spit out 2 years ago, I mean it can't taste that good can it?

Reactions: Nithoniniel

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
You're correct. I'm disappointed in so many fans that they don't appreciate why the Horton/Clarkson was done at the time. Now, so many phantom trades are done with LTIRs being traded....for no apparent reason.
I know it's just money for Rogers and Bell, co owners of the Leafs...and they just raise our telecom rates to get their money. But isn't incredible of all the "lost" money they spend for the incompetence of Burke and Nonis. Buying out Grabowski, Horton (due to the Clarkson signing. The firing of Burke and his 10 VPs and Nonis. Firing of Wilson and Carlyle. Plus the lost money because they assembled such poor teams.

I'm disappointed that neither of you understand that Clarkson was always destined to IR/Lupul/Robidas oblivion regardless of this wholly misidentified trade. Sure the money doesn't matter to MLSE. That's a given. What matters is that a more negative asset (i.e. less moveable negative asset) was taken in exchange and hailed as genius. The only thing I'll grant that this deal accomplish was getting the headache of a lameduck player out of town. Not that that matters as we all saw how Robidas and Lupul were handled.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
An

Andy is a top 5 puck handling tendy in the league maybe even top 3
Well, it sure didn't look like he is top 5, and surely not top 3, in puck handling in the NHL last night. Almost putting the puck into your own net sure doesn't result in a confidence boost for me. Neither does his penchant for giving the puck away umpteen times this season, including once last night.

IMHO, he could still use some more practice at handling the puck! I'd have him work on it this off season.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
The very fact that 100% of the rookie bonuses aren't carrying over means that the LTIR from Horton's contract isn't coming into play to the team's cap calculation. The team only gains a benefit from LTIR when at the cap limit has been exceeded by replacement contract(s) (not including rookie bonuses).
Thought we paid out full bonuses after their rookie years

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Flyers fan here. Good comeback for your guys, hope you beat Boston in the playoffs.

Marner is incredible, he looks like a young Stevie Y or Pat LaFontaine.

Thanks! Marner is definitely a stud. He really is the best player for the Leafs.

hoping you guys get back to being good so we can start the old leafs-flyers rivalry going

Reactions: baudib1

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
They are paid each year they earn them. You can carry them forward to the next year if you do not have the cap space to account for them in the year they earn them. Hence why we have the extra cap space we could not spend this year as we need to account for the bonuses that they earn this year. We will need every dime of our cap space next year to pay for our contracts.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Thanks! Marner is definitely a stud. He really is the best player for the Leafs.

hoping you guys get back to being good so we can start the old leafs-flyers rivalry going

Should be next season. We have lots of cap room and ownership wants a big splash, so we should be going hard after the top UFAs like Panarin or Karlsson. Barring that maybe Duchene, and we will be going hard after Quenneville.

Add a Panarin, Q, Morgan Frost and guys like Patrick, Lindblom and Sanheim improve a bit, we could make a run next year.

Could see the Flyers-Leafs making a big offseason trade as well.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
They are paid each year they earn them. You can carry them forward to the next year if you do not have the cap space to account for them in the year they earn them. Hence why we have the extra cap space we could not spend this year as we need to account for the bonuses that they earn this year. We will need every dime of our cap space next year to pay for our contracts.
I understand that, but we're talking about Horton and whether we're maxed out on cap.

If we pay them ~5 mill each year based on what's earned in bonuses, but carryover anything less than that, we had cap room. If we carry over the full bonus payout (5 mill for example) were maxed out on cap and likely in to Hortons LTIR space. Understand?

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Guys, Freddy has had a rough few games. But look at it this way, this is his first bad patch of games this season, every goalie in the league has already gone through these bad stretches and Freddy played so well up until now. Anyone blaming him has to temper their expectations, we all know he’s an amazing goaltender, not a doubt in my mind he’ll get over this rough patch and get back to being the same brick wall FredEx we know he is.

GLG!
This is one of the worst times to have a bad patch of games. Heading into the playoffs giving off the impression to your young team that you're not confident back there heading into the most important time of the year.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
The comeback was nice. The fact we had to comeback is very telling. The Leafs are far from playoff ready right now. Mentally and physically. Things could change. I hope they do. I wouldn't bet on it though.

Freddie was the only reason this game was close.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
your posts are becoming hilariously dumber with time

muzzin-rielly were on the ice most of the time; they are not ****ing robots to play 2 or 3 min shifts
Didn't Hainsey - Z play the last 2 minutes? Isn't that his exact complaint? We allowed a goal in those last 2 minutes with a few whistles, so there was opportunity to change and call a time-out.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
This is one of the worst times to have a bad patch of games. Heading into the playoffs giving off the impression to your young team that you're not confident back there heading into the most important time of the year.

He needs some good rest. Clear the cobwebs. Sparks should see more games this last stretch he has looked ok lately, and stopped some shots Anderson has been letting in lately.

We'll need Freddie sharp AF for the Bruins

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto

I wish there were a better record of this (full cap summary for each season as an archive) but here is the evidence to the contrary:

The amount of rookie bonuses that actually carried over from 2017-18 were $2.55M. That's less than Matthews' full potential bonus amount ($2.85M) and don't forget that both Marner and Nylander each had potential performance bonuses of $850K last season. That suggests that not the entire bonuses carried over as surely all 3 must have earned their bonuses.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I watched the game at a bar and sometimes I don't get the right feel for a game because of distractions. Just scrolled through the entire GDT thread(s) then watched Leafs Game in Six and yep, I read the game exactly like everyone else:

- Leafs dominated that game but Freddy stank it up for the third game in a row.
- Reffing once again brutal and seemingly biased against us.
- Nylander and Marner two best players on the ice.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I wish there were a better record of this (full cap summary for each season as an archive) but here is the evidence to the contrary:

The amount of rookie bonuses that actually carried over from 2017-18 were $2.55M. That's less than Matthews' full potential bonus amount ($2.85M) and don't forget that both Marner and Nylander each had potential performance bonuses of $850K last season. That suggests that not the entire bonuses carried over as surely all 3 must have earned their bonuses.
I was thinking of carryover from 16-17 to 17-18.

Not sure if they hit the minimum criteria for schedule A bonuses either.

It would be interesting to see the full details of the contracts published just to understand what their eligibility is, if anyone is pushing above the min requirements, etc .

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
He needs some good rest. Clear the cobwebs. Sparks should see more games this last stretch he has looked ok lately, and stopped some shots Anderson has been letting in lately.

We'll need Freddie sharp AF for the Bruins

After tonight there's 10 games left. I'd like to see a 5/5 split between Andersen and Sparks regardless of how far Boston is away in the standings.

Andersen starts: Mar 19, Mar 23, Mar 27, Apr 01, Apr 04

Sparks starts: Mar 20, Mar 25, Mar 30, Apr 02, Apr 06

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I watched the game at a bar and sometimes I don't get the right feel for a game because of distractions. Just scrolled through the entire GDT thread(s) then watched Leafs Game in Six and yep, I read the game exactly like everyone else:

- Leafs dominated that game but Freddy stank it up for the third game in a row.
- Reffing once again brutal and seemingly biased against us.
- Nylander and Marner two best players on the ice.
Name those distractions. ;)

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Didn't Hainsey - Z play the last 2 minutes? Isn't that his exact complaint? We allowed a goal in those last 2 minutes with a few whistles, so there was opportunity to change and call a time-out.

Zaitsev played the final 1:34 and Hainsey the final 2:39 (he is days away from turning 38).

3rd period ice time:
Hainsey 9:36
Zaitsev 9:10
Reilly 8:12
Muzzin 7:58
Marincin 1:49
Holl 1:30

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Zaitsev played the final 1:34 and Hainsey the final 2:39 (he is days away from turning 38).

3rd period ice time:
Hainsey 9:36
Zaitsev 9:10
Reilly 8:12
Muzzin 7:58
Marincin 1:49
Holl 1:30
Seems like a valid complaint by Zeke.

Side note, poor Holl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad