Post-Game Talk: Leafs win a Barn Burner complete the COMEBACK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
So, late impressions:

This was a split personality-kind of game. There was the awful, and there was the awesome. In the end, the awesome provided the points.

On another note, I really disliked the disallowed goal. It goes into the same category as my issues with a lot of goaltender interference calls. At some point you need to look away from interpretations of the rules and just go by common sense. This is one of them. Elliott knocks it loose. The goal would have gone in even if the goalpost had been in place. At that point it's common sense not to take away a goal from us due to circumstances that we didn't cause. It should be, but that gets forgotten in technicalities.

Matthews Line - Awesome and awful. To be honest, most of that awfulness came from draws. You can't lose draws cleanly and then don't be prepared for the consequences. Matthews made up for it. Johnsson was good. Nylander was pretty decent too, I guess.
Tavares Line - The thing that I love about Marner is his composure nowadays. They got nothing done up until the Hyman goal. Does that affect Marner? Not. One. Bit. That's the thing about him. Even when the line gets into a stretch where they don't quite get it done, he finds a way to execute to perfection at some point. Tavares was pretty meh again though, and Hyman was a bit slower and a bit less hard working than usual.
Kadri Line - Marleau's first period was the best I've seen from him in ages. He looked very much like Nylander once he gets up to speed and is just flying around. Started to tail off in the second half of the game, unfortunately. Kadri was OK. Brown found his niche and got rewarded for it.
Gauthier Line - Moore was fine. Ennis was nowhere. Goat was good in the defensive zone tonight. They got their ice time cut as we chased the comeback.

Rielly Pairing - Hainsey is tailing off after a terrific stretch. I'm not sure what I thought of Rielly's game. Probably leaning towards pretty negative there.
Muzzin Pairing - Muzzin started the comeback. You could argue that they should be saved, but they were also well-placed lasers. Zaitsev was abysmal. I had no idea what he was doing on so many of those goals against. He should have fronted Voracek. He should have stepped out on Gudas instead of guarding the corner. On the last goal, he was in a tough spot. He had three options. He chose to forfeit instead.
Marincin Pairing - Holl was pretty decent. Marincin is pure sniper.

Andersen - Shades of Bernier here. We need him back because if he doesn't snap out of this, we are better off with Sparks in goal.

Babcock - Turtled towards the end. Hate to see that. But otherwise Babcock was great tonight. He shortened the bench, rewarded the hot players (Nylander was double shifted a few times,) and put out an actual scoring line after our PPs instead of letting their best lines go up against our fourth line for a shift or two.
Whole heartedly agree with your thoughts on why goals like that should be allowed and using common sense, but I'm not sure it was definitely going in if the net was on the pegs

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
No he wasn't. We traded a player who should be a healthy scratch but whose contract was very much in play for one that would be on the LTIR.

Horton's contract is uninsured. The last year of Clarkson's deal costs $3.25M ($1M after July 1st, it's actually moveable if necessary). The last year of the Horton deal costs $3.6M with no bonus discount. Clarkson was Lupul'd in Columbus in less than a year. That would have happened in Toronto. Nonis making a good deal in this exchange is a fake narrative by Nonis' friends in the hockey media.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
That’s the effort Nylander needs to put forth every night. Maybe Babcocks message is sinking in.

The pass to Matthews was pure luck, but the effort he made to make the play rewarded him.

Let’s see them bring it against a good team and the outlook will look brighter.

Still ugly letting in 11 goals to Chicago and Philly
This is also game 43 for Nylander vs. Game 71 for others.
I would expect extra jump. This is the way they all need to play, not just Hyman and Moore.

Playoffs will be the real test.

Reactions: TML11

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Horton's contract is uninsured. The last year of Clarkson's deal costs $3.25M ($1M after July 1st, it's actually moveable if necessary). The last year of the Horton deal costs $3.6M with no bonus discount. Clarkson was Lupul'd in Columbus in less than a year. That would have happened in Toronto. Nonis making a good deal in this exchange is a fake narrative by Nonis' friends in the hockey media.
Yeah insured or not doesn't matter at all for us. And neither does the money cost for the tail end of Clarkson's contract. We're not a team on an internal budget. We're a team that makes decisions based on cap hits.

And Clarkson was injured after the trade. Before that he was a regular for them. That doesn't make the trade better or worse, that just means they lucked out.

Reactions: lifelonghockeyfan

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
The Leafs have never used one cent of space from Horton being on the LTIR during his entire time with the Leafs.
Curious, where are you getting that info? The fact we've had to pay bonus penalties suggests we've maxed out cap, which is where his LTIR would kick in

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Zaitsev is getting much less than Phaneuf and Clarkson, is much younger than they were, and unlike them he's actually playing a significant role on one of the best teams in hockey - not sucking on a bottom feeder.

he's nowhere close to the anchor contracts they were.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
The Leafs have never used one cent of space from Horton being on the LTIR during his entire time with the Leafs.

Leafs used Horton on LTIR every year, except this year. The reason they have Horton on regular IR this year is so they can pay their 2018/19 performance bonuses in this 2018/19 season. Next season Horton back on LTIR.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
If this doesn't say that Freddie needs a bit of a break and rest before playoffs to get his body and mind in shape then I don't know what does

Reactions: Al14

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Yeah insured or not doesn't matter at all for us. And neither does the money cost for the tail end of Clarkson's contract. We're not a team on an internal budget. We're a team that makes decisions based on cap hits.

And Clarkson was injured after the trade. Before that he was a regular for them. That doesn't make the trade better or worse, that just means they lucked out.

This weak narrative dies hard I see. You see the insured contract of Clarkson meant that it was/is moveable and it has since changed hands. The Horton contract wasn't moveable. The Leafs are probably destined to handling the last year of Horton's deal as LTIR overage next season while Columbus have no cap implications from this deal any longer.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron

You're correct. I'm disappointed in so many fans that they don't appreciate why the Horton/Clarkson was done at the time. Now, so many phantom trades are done with LTIRs being traded....for no apparent reason.
I know it's just money for Rogers and Bell, co owners of the Leafs...and they just raise our telecom rates to get their money. But isn't incredible of all the "lost" money they spend for the incompetence of Burke and Nonis. Buying out Grabowski, Horton (due to the Clarkson signing. The firing of Burke and his 10 VPs and Nonis. Firing of Wilson and Carlyle. Plus the lost money because they assembled such poor teams.

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
Reading the Flyers postgame thread is actually very refreshing. Those fans know their team suck and not salty at all.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
It's not 1 game. Nylander has been a much better player then Kadri in his career.

this post is a prime example of STUPIDITY and posting without CONTEXT

nylander playing with another elite talent is far better than kadri because kadri has played with elite talent his entire career

:shakehead

sittler rules!!!

Feb 9, 2004
Maybe, come playoffs, let'em play 80's hockey. They are 3 lines deep and it is really quite obvious that defensive hockey is not a strong point. Let em run and gun. Pressure, pressure, pressure!!.
I am not really quite sure the Ruins , outside of that one line, would be able to keep the pace. Make the Ruins score 5, 6 or 7 to have to win. Be fun but nerve wracking to watch.

Reactions: TML11

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
leafs bailing out their goalie again!

nice.

but c'mon Freddy wake up already.

and lmao @ babs playing hainsey-zaitsev for the whole last 2 minutes. he's gonna do that in the playoffs too and it'll likely kill us.

your posts are becoming hilariously dumber with time

muzzin-rielly were on the ice most of the time; they are not f***ing robots to play 2 or 3 min shifts

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
No idea how our D coach over looked the Face-off loss coverage plays so much.
We have 3 weeks to plug up the holes before Boston looks for cracks

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Maybe, come playoffs, let'em play 80's hockey. They are 3 lines deep and it is really quite obvious that defensive hockey is not a strong point. Let em run and gun. Pressure, pressure, pressure!!.
I am not really quite sure the Ruins , outside of that one line, would be able to keep the pace. Make the Ruins score 5, 6 or 7 to have to win. Be fun but nerve wracking to watch.

True. We just need to be calm and keep shots at net steady and create dangerous chances.
Rask might be a wall, and you must keep hitting the wall over and over and not get frustrated

sittler rules!!!

Feb 9, 2004
Two other things I saw. The PK of Marner and Hyman is outstanding and is it just me or is the Goat playing with a lot more confidence and a little more nastiness now. If that big body starts throwin......

Reactions: dsred and Al14

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Curious, where are you getting that info? The fact we've had to pay bonus penalties suggests we've maxed out cap, which is where his LTIR would kick in

The very fact that 100% of the rookie bonuses aren't carrying over means that the LTIR from Horton's contract isn't coming into play to the team's cap calculation. The team only gains a benefit from LTIR when at the cap limit has been exceeded by replacement contract(s) (not including rookie bonuses).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad