Post-Game Talk: Leafs Win 4-2! | How Kessel Got His Groove Back!

Mr Scarface*

Is McLaren ready to come back too?
The next game would be the first one he is eligible to come of LTIR.
He will and he will be one of our best from that day to go on from. He will play in every game from that on.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
What's with all the Bozak hate? he was awesome on the draws and pivotal on the PK. Also saved a goal at the end

Sounds like you're describing the ideal third line center. And there lies the issue.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Good comeback from an otherwise terrible start to the game. We limited their chances but they way they were playing...if it continued for any longer than it did would have resulted in a loss for the Leafs.

Can we play with intensity to start the game rather than getting fired up from a hit in the middle of the game?

2 shots in the first period. Absolutely terrible.

Nice win but we really have to get better at starting games...coming down from goals isn't easy.

We'll finally get to see Clarkson play...let's see if he's been putting the extra practice time to good use. I think he'll really bring what this team has been missing for the last 10 games...physicality at the right moment + constant forecheck.

happyaccident

May 14, 2013
If that's what you take away from a game like this in which Bozak does pretty well, then yes. You are hating.

I watch him out there and I don't get the fascination. He's first line filler material, like every song that goes on a Miley Cyrus album after the single.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Was Bozak on the PK that much tonight? Seemed like he was thrown out there for the faceoff and first chance he got he was right back on the bench.

Bozak is good though on the shootouts or breakaways. In plays he's really just restricted in effectiveness to PK duty. Honestly he'd ideally be slotted on the third line, but for now he is where he is. Luckily we added JVR who along with Kessel are too skilled to be slowed down regardless of who is in the middle.

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
JVR is a madman in front of the net. Love that that's carried over from the playoffs

Not only that, but I think this year his skating improved tremendously. Whatever it is JVR with that new found skating is elite power-forward and that is, my friends, hard to find. :handclap:

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
After the first period the offence showed up. D played well most of the game but Franson and Rielly made a few mistakes. Franson is hanging the rookie out to dry.

Not sure why Leivo was pulled off the third line he was playing well.

The best players showed up tonight and Ranger had another good game.

Mr Scarface*

Good comeback from an otherwise terrible start to the game. We limited their chances but they way they were playing...if it continued for any longer than it did would have resulted in a loss for the Leafs.

Can we play with intensity to start the game rather than getting fired up from a hit in the middle of the game?

2 shots in the first period. Absolutely terrible.

Nice win but we really have to get better at starting games...coming down from goals isn't easy.

We'll finally get to see Clarkson play...let's see if he's been putting the extra practice time to good use. I think he'll really bring what this team has been missing for the last 10 games...physicality at the right moment + constant forecheck.
He will and also remember that Kulemin brings that constant forecheck also. We are missing a whole lot in forecheck now. Frazer McLaren ALWAYS delivers on that department as well.

Our game will be even better soon. But then again we already win almost every game with this team and this game. Carlyle is THAT GREAT. One of the best.
Wonder if Ron Wilson will ever coach in this league again? He (wilson) was really GREAT with the capitals back in the day.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Sounds like you're describing the ideal third line center. And there lies the issue.

I see what you are getting at, but I think people are staring too much at individuals here. If we judge things from a line-perspective, the first line has plenty of firepower anyway, as was obvious from this game. Bozak is not good offensively, but he adds other qualities to the first line. As long as the line is effective in its overall game, then there's no need to switch things around. This way we can keep Kadri and Lupul together, giving us scoring depth as well.

Obviously an upgrade on Bozak would be great, but I don't really see it as a need or him being on that line as an issue.

I watch him out there and I don't get the fascination. He's first line filler material, like every song that goes on a Miley Cyrus album after the single.

Fascination? There's no need for that. He is on the line to anchor it defensively, to add some decent board work and other things like that rather than to add even more offensive creativity to a line that is already filled with it.

95% of Bozak talk originates from people obsessing about what a huge problem it is for Toronto to have him playing that role, and I don't see that as long as the line as a whole continues to perform as it has the last two seasons.

blueberrie

Mar 23, 2010
How were our possession numbers tonight? Really big win after the poor showing against the other top west team.

SteveV*

I love when the media turns on Kessel and he proceeds to shove it up their *****. How many times, lol.

kujo31

Aug 18, 2007
Not a great 1st period, i think the D played really good the whole game it was the forwards that didn't wake up till the 2nd period, but the Ducks didn't have a great period either, i think both teams weren't playing intensely, our worst stretch was probably the 1st 5 mins of the second period, then after that we just took the game over, we were the better team tonight by far especially in the 2nd and 3rd

Kessel amazing game, and obviously Dion played amazing and had a great goal and a nice hit

Also can some people get over Bozak, he played a good game, and played back giving Kessel and JVR the ability to play offence, he also saved a goal in the 3rd so shut up

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
How were our possession numbers tonight? Really big win after the poor showing against the other top west team.

We were tied in even strength shots with 21 a piece.

The full corsi and fenwick report is not out yet, but I assume that we were either tied or ahead for the game (depending on how bad the first period was).

This is definitely a good sign considering that Anaheim is a top possession team.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
NHL regulars are getting up to speed and Rielly showing he isn't quite ready.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
I see what you are getting at, but I think people are staring too much at individuals here. If we judge things from a line-perspective, the first line has plenty of firepower anyway, as was obvious from this game. Bozak is not good offensively, but he adds other qualities to the first line. As long as the line is effective in its overall game, then there's no need to switch things around. This way we can keep Kadri and Lupul together, giving us scoring depth as well.

Obviously an upgrade on Bozak would be great, but I don't really see it as a need or him being on that line as an issue.

The only issue I have with this is looking at every team that wins the Cup and their top 2 centers. There's always a guy there that is a gamebreaker. I'm talking the Toews, Crosbys, M. Richards etc. (Yes one of those is not like the others but Richie is clutch).

happyaccident

May 14, 2013
I love when the media turns on Kessel and he proceeds to shove it up their *****. How many times, lol.

Honestly, he was really bad until he turned it on tonight.

Start of last season, he didn't score in 10 games but the consensus was that he was playing great nevertheless. Before tonight, not so much.

SteveV*

Honestly, he was really bad until he turned it on tonight.

Start of last season, he didn't score in 10 games but the consensus was that he was playing great nevertheless. Before tonight, not so much.

There's a big difference between critiquing an off period and completely turning on the guy, which is what was happening AGAIN. Seen the movie before...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad