Post-Game Talk: Leafs Win 4-1 | "Corsi Enthusiasts Hate Them!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
Winning games the Leafs should be winning, but they've got to be better ... Some tougher opponents will hopefully allow the Leafs to tighten up their game and play some better hockey

Montreal is a good team, beat them, Ottawa will probably be decent, beat them. Lost by 1 goal to Colorado. But yeah, Philly, Nashville, Edmonton and Minny don't seem to be doing that great, so it's great that we beat all 4 of them! :naughty:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Winning games the Leafs should be winning, but they've got to be better ... Some tougher opponents will hopefully allow the Leafs to tighten up their game and play some better hockey

right. and i think they will, truly.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
Thought Rielly and Franson looked great today.

Gardiner looked pretty good too. Would love to see him put up some points and get that confidence level up.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Despite the outstanding start, we are only 6 points out of the last wildcard spot while playing 2 games more.

This is going to be a year where teams will be life or death making the playoffs.

#Thisisreality

6 points is a fairly nice cushion this early in the season. Lots of time to keep building on it.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Despite the outstanding start, we are only 6 points out of the last wildcard spot while playing 2 games more.

This is going to be a year where teams will be life or death making the playoffs.

#Thisisreality

8 to 10 point separation from 4 teams that worried me, in regards to the free floating wildcards.

Phil
Wash
NYR
OTT

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Did we ever find out what was the "upper body injury" Bozak had suffered? Depends on the injury for strength.

I seriously doubt Bozak plays if he is still nursing the injury. Carlyle wouldn't risk it. Also, it would have shown in his play.

I haven't seen Bozak play any different than since he started. Except, tonight he had a good game.

It was separated tricep.
I can't speak for Bozak - I'm not a hockey player but I have sacrolic joint dysfunction. it took me 1.5 years to get the strength in my lower back to even do 80% of the things I used to do, and I still have twinges. and I'm not getting smacked/hit/playing 3 out of 7 nights.

his faceoffs (like the fact that he doesn't get as deep as he did last year) COULD be indicative that the strength isn't there. Note: i'm not saying he's injured - nor am I saying that he's nursing it. you can be healthy - just not "as strong." and it's just a theory, but to me - clearly SOMETHING is off because i don't see how you can be really good for the past three years on faceoff draws - and then be totally blown out. a huge chunk of a time. there's being bad, and then there's something wrong.

I'm erring on something wrong.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Montreal is a good team, beat them, Ottawa will probably be decent, beat them. Lost by 1 goal to Colorado. But yeah, Philly, Nashville, Edmonton and Minny don't seem to be doing that great, so it's great that we beat all 4 of them! :naughty:

but ironically - most people put almost all of those teams above us...
weird how that works eh?

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
Horrible game for the most part, except for Reimer, for the most part. If the shot he mishandled in the third goes in, instead of Kadri clearing it away, everyone would've hated on him. Or the post shot, etc, etc. I think he's the same guy we've known all these years, and nothing much has changed. Can stand on his head, and then the odd shot squeaks in or he loses the puck. Either way, he's still a legit #1 goalie on most teams. With that, I think the two number-one calibre goalie system is genius, which should ensure both guys being on their A game most nights.

I really hope Carlyle doesn't give either guy more than 45 games (likely Bernier would still be the front runner for that allotment, by the way it's looked so far) unless something serious goes wrong with either goalie (injury, awful slump). That way they both maintain their value as assets, and stay sharp throughout the year. Never know when EDM might show up on the call display.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009

#Thisisreality

why is it, that we are the ones who play more than everyone else? we never really have games in hands.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I was only able to catch the last half of the game and was watching the Minnesota stream. They were dissing the Leafs all the time and moaning about how dominant the Wild was. I'm not going to claim the Leafs were dominant by any means, but to me it looked like they were playing a tight conservative game, keeping Minny to the perimeter and, you know, protecting a lead to win the game. It was getting pretty tired by the end and the commentators were just coming off as sore losers because they won the shots contest.

I think after every game we should just post this:

heatmap.png

followed by the game summary:

3asjl.png
[/IMG]

Yes they had a lot of shots. Where we they from? A boatload from near the blueline and the wall.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
but ironically - most people put almost all of those teams above us...
weird how that works eh?

Personally speaking I had Ottawa above us. Montreal and Minny about equal, Philly, Colorado, Edmonton and Nashville behind us.

Was I ever wrong with some of those teams early on :laugh:

Billy Mays Here*

*Sigh*

If management truly believes Kuemper is our goalie of the future then we are in deep ****. Can we steal Reimer or Bernier from you guys? :naughty:

We'll leave you Heatley at the hotel in return. No, we'll leave him there for free. If someone wants to pick him up go ahead, nothing's stopping you.

Same old Wild, no finishers. 38 shots and only one goal, the cycle continues.

mkoivu9*

:laugh:
Didn't they just rake the Leafs tonight? but something named Reimer was in net.

LeafsFIO*

Reimer's only weakness is his rebound control and the team around him did an amazing job rebounding. That's all there is to it.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
The arguement "You havent played any good teams yet!" is just stupid. For one, its admitting we're better then a lot of teams, which is counter to the argument of the anti-Leafs crowd, and two, if we truly are better, then we SHOULD be winning those games. Good teams find ways to win even when they arent firing on all cylinders.

Dave Poulin said it best today on the radio (paraphrase): "I'd rather be 5-1 and not playing nearly our best then 0-6 and playing as good as we can".

We can improve. Ranger is rounding into form. Gunnar has settled down considerably. Rielly is growing each and every game. When Fraser comes back we'll that mean toughness on the back end. Kulemin will help our defensive game, and Clarkson will help our possession.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London

In my defense, I hadn't actually looked at the standings :laugh: Was just going on from what I read on the main boards and stuff and hadn't really heard Minny mentioned :P Now that I look at the standings though...Minny is doing as expected in my opinion.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
The arguement "You havent played any good teams yet!" is just stupid. For one, its admitting we're better then a lot of teams, which is counter to the argument of the anti-Leafs crowd, and two, if we truly are better, then we SHOULD be winning those games. Good teams find ways to win even when they arent firing on all cylinders.

Dave Poulin said it best today on the radio (paraphrase): "I'd rather be 5-1 and not playing nearly our best then 0-6 and playing as good as we can".

We can improve. Ranger is rounding into form. Gunnar has settled down considerably. Rielly is growing each and every game. When Fraser comes back we'll that mean toughness on the back end. Kulemin will help our defensive game, and Clarkson will help our possession.

Well said :handclap:

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Whats the first image and where do you get it from?

It's from statistical analysis by a poster in another thread trying to look at shot quality. Basically like a heat map of successful shooting areas with red being most likely to produce goals then orange then yellow then shades of blue. Basically it and the game shot charts largely show what Leaf fans said all year last year. For some reason people are more fascinated with puck possession than quality scoring chances.

Here:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1490701

What I'd like to do is to take the game shot data and make the points hollow and then overlay them on that chart for every game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad