Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 4-1 (again) thanks to our new superstar... Tyler Ennis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
It's just one game for Ennis but I thought he did well playing on his off wing, I want to see more to make a decision on him.

I believe Ennis could play on Kadri's L/W with Brown on the R/W and as a minimum contract walk on player, he could be the best bargain player signing this year.

Ozhiganov could solidify the RD position, I just think he has to adjust to the N/A game and the smaller ice surface but he too looks like a really good addition to make this years team.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
You do realize that with Kessel we suck less and thus end up with Dubois, Pizzaparty, Tkachuck or Keller right?

Your concern trolling is really getting old.

So yeah I'll take Andersen+Kapanen+Matthews over the guys I named above+Kessel.

Kessel only looks great because he plays with two generational centers, if he were in Toronto, he'd be back to scoring to mid to low 30s and everyone calling the guy soft tubster.

When you don't like a deal and you express that by saying:

1. Kap is not a good player. We should have got a good player as a return for Kessel

2. Kap needs to be better if he wants to play in the top 9 of any NHL team.

Both are not trolling. You express an opinion and that is how a hockey board functions.

Kap only has a few points so far as a NHLer, and he seems to be falling into a grinder role. In the meantime we are still paying part of Kessels' salary.

The fact that we have Andersen and Matthews is independent when it comes to the reality of that trade.

You're tired of concern trolling? I'm tired of the Ultimate Cheerleader culture around here. There are people like yourself that spin everything. You can't criticize a player or a trade, because that would be Anti-Leafs. And anything Anti-Leafs or criticism is considered "trolling".

Kapanen is very average, but that is a stretch because at least average players get the odd point.

The guys has 0 shots in a preseason game and I'm supposed to like it? I'm supposed to not reflect on the Kessel trade? Never.

Reactions: 666

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Watched this earlier. I normally like his rants but this one came off as click bait. 1967. Check. Haven't won a playoff series since Quinn. Check. And? Why are people so opposed to our excitement? Are we the only fanbase that's not allowed to enjoy our team because according to some it sure feels that way. We're well aware of the history of this team. Let us enjoy seeing players blossom FFS.

The guy is a jackass and super annoying.

I will say though, I laughed out loud at the part where he claimed no one has talked all summer about Freddy playing too much or how the defense isn't good enough. Oh yeah? What rock has he been living under? lol. That narrative has been beaten to absolute death this offseason.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
It's just one game for Ennis but I thought he did well playing on his off wing, I want to see more to make a decision on him.

I believe Ennis could play on Kadri's L/W with Brown on the R/W and as a minimum contract walk on player, he could be the best bargain player signing this year.

Ozhiganov could solidify the RD position, I just think he has to adjust to the N/A game and the smaller ice surface but he too looks like a really good addition to make this years team.

He did better as the game went along. He was also completely lost defensively though.

I would imagine Ennis might very well rotate in and out for Johnsson and maybe even Leivo. He's a good depth player to have.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
The guy is a jackass and super annoying.

I will say though, I laughed out loud at the part where he claimed no one has talked all summer about Freddy playing too much or how the defense isn't good enough. Oh yeah? What rock has he been living under? lol. That narrative has been beaten to absolute death this offseason.
A shock rant for viewers.
You don't want to be accused of being homers on the show so bash the Leafs a little and send praise to the Oilers/Senators when you can.

That being said, he'd be the first guy on the bandwagon when it happens.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
When you don't like a deal and you express that by saying:

1. Kap is not a good player. We should have got a good player as a return for Kessel

2. Kap needs to be better if he wants to play in the top 9 of any NHL team.

Both are not trolling. You express an opinion and that is how a hockey board functions.

Kap only has a few points so far as a NHLer, and he seems to be falling into a grinder role. In the meantime we are still paying part of Kessels' salary.

The fact that we have Andersen and Matthews is independent when it comes to the reality of that trade.

You're tired of concern trolling? I'm tired of the Ultimate Cheerleader culture around here. There are people like yourself that spin everything. You can't criticize a player or a trade, because that would be Anti-Leafs. And anything Anti-Leafs or criticism is considered "trolling".

Kapanen is very average, but that is a stretch because at least average players get the odd point.

The guys has 0 shots in a preseason game and I'm supposed to like it? I'm supposed to not reflect on the Kessel trade? Never.

The Leafs had a mountain of things working against them in the Kessel deal and did about as well as most could realistically have hoped for.

Actually Andersen & Matthews are directly tied to that deal. The fact we had the first we traded for Andersen, and I firmly agree with GodEmperor Kessel makes enough difference that we likely don't finish low enough to end up with Matthews.

Sure, let's slag Kapanen for having 0 shots which I don't even think is accurate stat-tracking (I had an issue with the shot counting in game 1 as well), but ignore the fact that he setup Par Lindholm for at least 2 quality scoring chances. Kapanen is a good player, and looked pretty good but not great last night in his FIRST PRESEASON GAME, even if he wasn't able to hit the scoresheet.

Reactions: smitty10

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
you guys make the mistake of thinking sports radio is about anything other than provoking listeners.

sports radio doesn't try to educate or inform you - the guys barely educate themselves.

all they care about is getting you upset.

I don't know why anyone listens to sports radio. you don't learn a thing from it. it actually makes you LESS informed.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
The Leafs had a mountain of things working against them in the Kessel deal and did about as well as most could realistically have hoped for.

Actually Andersen & Matthews are directly tied to that deal. The fact we had the first we traded for Andersen, and I firmly agree with GodEmperor Kessel makes enough difference that we likely don't finish low enough to end up with Matthews.

Sure, let's slag Kapanen for having 0 shots which I don't even think is accurate stat-tracking (I had an issue with the shot counting in game 1 as well), but ignore the fact that he setup Par Lindholm for at least 2 quality scoring chances. Kapanen is a good player, and looked pretty good but not great last night in his FIRST PRESEASON GAME, even if he wasn't able to hit the scoresheet.

kappy was better than Johnsson, at least.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Found a good description of how Kap plays:

Kasperi Kapanen (#24) – He had some power play time on the halfwall, but he seemed to regularly run himself out of options and make the play he had to make rather than the one he wanted to make. He was thrown out on the penalty kill whenever possible which is a role he will be expected to play in the regular season. The line didn’t lack effort, but their play with the puck was sloppy. Again, it’s the first game of the preseason. Like Johnsson, Babcock somewhat called him out after the game as he left something to be desired in terms of making plays.

Preseason Game #2 Review: Toronto Maple Leafs 4 vs. Ottawa Senators 1 | Maple Leafs Hotstove

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Josh Jooris (#36) – Ugly, choppy skater with poor offensive instincts. It’s the first game of the preseason and it takes some time for players to get their legs and game underneath them, but there was very little to like about his game, starting with the penalty kill; he was guilty of collapsing back off the point for no good reason — Engvall, too — and allowing the Senators to move the puck around as they pleased.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Josh Jooris (#36) – Ugly, choppy skater with poor offensive instincts. It’s the first game of the preseason and it takes some time for players to get their legs and game underneath them, but there was very little to like about his game, starting with the penalty kill; he was guilty of collapsing back off the point for no good reason — Engvall, too — and allowing the Senators to move the puck around as they pleased.

Jooris was always likely going to be a Marlies player --- the Ben Smith replacement. But with an effort like last night, he'll end up there 100%.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
yeah he is easily one of the worst on air personalities on Canada. I mean they use a sound board like a terrible hits radio station, they are cheap "humour" I don't mind Tim I think he should detach himself from that attention seeking drama queen
Agreed. How can anybody find sound boards funny? That's like scraping the bottom of the barrel of radio comedy. That siren, in particular,...….. d-chills.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
Can we talk about how great Lilypad and Sandman we’re together? Could that be our future potential top pair? Sandin with the hockey IQ and Lily with the offensive skills

Reactions: Shanty

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Sandin and Liljegren played an NHL quality game last night. Was very nice to see:

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
you guys make the mistake of thinking sports radio is about anything other than provoking listeners.

sports radio doesn't try to educate or inform you - the guys barely educate themselves.

all they care about is getting you upset.

I don't know why anyone listens to sports radio. you don't learn a thing from it. it actually makes you LESS informed.

It doesn't get any more Donald Trump then this statement.

Reactions: 666

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I know their show is popular, but I find him to be the most annoying sports talk personality in town.

That’s the point. He’s obnoxious on purpose. No one ever is like “Oh, I watched Tim & Sid tonight and they gave good analysis on the game”

They only talk about the main headlines in the sporting world and give very basic analysis, and then fill it all in with random rants, air horns and other sound effects.

Don’t get me wrong, they are good at what they do, but what they do isn’t really worth much to anyone outside of casual viewers

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
I know their show is popular, but I find him to be the most annoying sports talk personality in town.
I don't hate Tim and Sid, but this becomes an issue on sports shows where they try to be experts on every possible sport. They end up being uninformed on almost all of them, because they spread thin. This is a pretty ignorant segment.

Also, someone needs to tell Sid that Oz was signed to an ELC. The $$ on the contract are irrelevant to his skill level. Regardless of whether he amounts to anything, paying him "less than a million" means squat.

Shanty

July hockey is where bridges are burned
Jan 9, 2010
Toronto
Can we talk about how great Lilypad and Sandman we’re together? Could that be our future potential top pair? Sandin with the hockey IQ and Lily with the offensive skills

I think Sandin looked better than Lily. He made so many smart plays.

He reminds me of Marner, a little bit. Instead of making the "right play", he tended to make the "best play".

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
We all should remember how good Ennis was before he had his string of injuries while we watched the Leafs play against Buffalo.

This was a great signing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad