Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 3-2 OT!

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Leafs finally caught a break and had victory snatched away from defeat.

That call was a 50/50 and it went our way..

We really needed those 2 points as Florida also won yesterday.

If by 50/50 you mean 50% they call no goal and are right or 50% they call goal and are wrong, then sure.

But that was 100% goalie interference

TMLS

Oct 30, 2013
London, Ontario
Agreed. I really don't want to see fans and media turning on Andersen (creating a goalie controversy) if he faulters a bit. I like Campbell, but TOR has a competant starting goalie.

Points! Points!
Imagine thinking Andersen is a competent starting goalie. Starting goalies need to be consistent, Andersen is opposite of consistent...especially in key must win games. Guy is a choke artist that crumbles under pressure like in playoffs.

Reactions: LeafsRus and Al14

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
You are suggesting exposing our starter and letting him become an UFA?
If Seattle isn't allowed to take him because he doesn't have a contract for the following season, it doesn't matter if he's protected. The expansion draft is before the entry draft, leaving time to extend after the expansion draft, before he hits free agency, if that's the route we wanted to go down.

Reactions: kb

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
Despite being near the top of the list for being negatively impacted by injuries (5th to be precise), we've overcome our horrendous start under Babcock and are on pace for 98 points. If you can't be happy with that I suggest you stop watching.

Keep it real indeed! :)

P.S. If you want to be even happier, check out our pace since we fired Babcock. If you're still not happy then ... definitely stop watching.

Well said and agreed.
But with yesterdays win, our pt% with Keefe is .676

50 remaining points * 0.676, we're on pace to get 33 more points.
We're on pace for (68+33) 101 points. not 98.

:D

Fun stats
Since Nov 21 Leafs are
#4 in pts%
#1 in PP%
#1 in GF/GP
#4 in Games won

but
#21 in GA/GP :( wowsa.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
If by 50/50 you mean 50% they call no goal and are right or 50% they call no goal and are wrong, then sure.

Guaranteed .. watch the highlight guy bumps him and his stick raises off ice and his left foot circles back so he does not fall. On a slapper from point the goalie squares up the shot, gets to top of blue ice and then reacts to shot. He can't do that in this case. It was so obvious and you could see asap Soupy's reaction. But I am getting sick and tired of all these teams thinking they can run our goalies. In blue ice goalies need to be protected. If the refs are not going to call these penalties then our goalies are going to have to lay the lumber.

Reactions: LeafsRus

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Stepan pushed his way into Campbell. Its not a debateable call at all.

Sidenote - have we had a coaches challenge sincd Babs got fired? It seemed like Babs challenged and lost a call once a week.

And even if Stepan didn't move into him it's a good call. Campbell has every right to initiate contact in the crease if he's moving into position to make a save. Onus is on Stepan to not have his leg in there.

Reactions: Warden of the North

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
Almost threw up when they scored at the end.... and then it was called off :thumbu::)

I wasn't watching. Just keeping track of the score on my Score app.
When the Yotes scored I got mad and turned it off.

I was quite confused and pleasantly surprised about half an hour later when I decided to check the standings.:D

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
Imagine thinking Andersen is a competent starting goalie. Starting goalies need to be consistent, Andersen is opposite of consistent...especially in key must win games. Guy is a choke artist that crumbles under pressure like in playoffs.
imagine thinking he is not, back to back 100 point seasons, averaging 66 starts per year seems like a starter to me, maybe take a look at what he has done for this team, you deserve toskala and Bernier maybe Raycroft too, what a horrible take.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Just renovate the ACC and build a new ice plant. You aren't going to get an arena with a better location.

An argument could be made for something in the Ex (could see a cool dual ice pad Leafs/Marlies arena). Has it's own GO stop, has a direct streetcar line from Union (in it's own dedicated lane, so essentially an above ground subway), so you're not hurting the downtown commute much. But you also get the added benefit of it being a bit easier to get to from suburbia, easier parking, and there's a huge population in the West side of the city.

But yeah, they've invested a ton into the ACC/SBA and Maple Leaf Square and it is in an amazing spot. No complaints from me, I work 100 feet from it. Just needs some renovations.

Reactions: saffronleaf

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok

Since he's arrived, Andersen has won 80% of the points the Leafs have won in his time on the team. He leads the league in this regard. If this is the your definition of inconsistent, I'll take seconds, please.

Reactions: rubous

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
Loving Campbell so far, on top of his play which has been fantastic. A goalie that can actually admit when he ****s up is pretty much unheard of around here.

Absolutely. He conveys much more confidence and it looks like it’s translating throughout the club.

Three games, five out of a possible six points. That’s all you can ask from a backup. It will be interesting to see what happens once our forwards resume form.

Something to build out from that’s for sure.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
The very brief and simplified overview is that Dom's model is built from players up. Each player has a game score which is effectively the number of goals you expect them to contribute. He simulates the season using these game scores to assign a probabilities to the outcome of each game (I believe it also factors in home/away and rest). So based on the standings today, in 39,500 of 50,000 simulations (79%) of the remainder of the season the Leafs make the playoffs.

The reason we have such a strong probability is because the Leafs rank fairly well in these models, and Florida fairly poorly (different model but similar idea, for example, Moneypuck has us 6th in its power rankings and Florida 18th). This is the reason we stayed neck and neck with Florida in playoff probability for the last few weeks despite falling behind them in point percentage. Now that they've stumbled for the past few games and we're ahead in point percentage, you can see our clear advantage in the models.

Oh ic. I wonder how they handle current injuries etc.

If it's based on players at the base, injuries could changes things quite a bit.

Interesting nonetheless.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Guaranteed .. watch the highlight guy bumps him and his stick raises off ice and his left foot circles back so he does not fall. On a slapper from point the goalie squares up the shot, gets to top of blue ice and then reacts to shot. He can't do that in this case. It was so obvious and you could see asap Soupy's reaction. But I am getting sick and tired of all these teams thinking they can run our goalies. In blue ice goalies need to be protected. If the refs are not going to call these penalties then our goalies are going to have to lay the lumber.

If you call that a "run at the goalie" then all goalies get run multiple times a game.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
If by 50/50 you mean 50% they call no goal and are right or 50% they call goal and are wrong, then sure.

Yeah, I was surprised when Tochet said he thought it had to be 'egregious', I think he was just venting and was peeved off cause it went the wrong way.

Some of the calls for goalie interference we've seen in the last few years, were as soft a guys SWEATER BRUSHING up against the goalie in the crease, or the offenders skate just touching any part of the goalie.

In some cases, the touching or 'interference' maybe doesn't affect the goalie hardly at all, or much, but, they have been consistent and that's what we've been wanting.

If the players in the crease and touching, pushing, in pretty much any way, shape or form, against the goalie, it's interference. That's INTERFERENCE, most all players know it know as well.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Can't say I am totally happy with the way Leafs are playing. Yes we won the game
but that could have gone the other way if Arizona did something on their PP on OT

I don't know why with the players we have we struggle to beat mediocre teams. Habs, Ducks and now Coyotes. Yes they are a better team from last year but they are still a bubble playoff team

We don't have the depth like we think we do. As Ferraro said last night, Kapanen and AJ were luxury players last year. They both scored 20 goals. But they are still so inconsistent

For all the goals Kapanen scores, he misses 3x the more

We should be able to dominate these guys yet we come out struggling to win.

For a good skating team, we simply don't forecheck enough or put any pressure on their D

I was so impressed with how Arizona gets right on you.

Hall has heart man. That kid got heart. He was battling all night, chasing our D, going after our forwards in neutral zone, generating chances
Unfortunately, his supporting cast really sucks

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

Personally I wish our goalies would just go Billy Smith on people.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Campbell's play may incentivize and push Andersen, and that might not be a bad thing as competition tends to bring out the best in some players.

More than incentivizing Andersen, as I think he's a pretty self aware and motivated individual, I hope Campbell presence gives the team a chance to play with greater confidence.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Can't say I am totally happy with the way Leafs are playing. Yes we won the game
but that could have gone the other way if Arizona did something on their PP on OT

I don't know why with the players we have we struggle to beat mediocre teams. Habs, Ducks and now Coyotes. Yes they are a better team from last year but they are still a bubble playoff team

We don't have the depth like we think we do. As Ferraro said last night, Kapanen and AJ were luxury players last year. They both scored 20 goals. But they are still so inconsistent

For a good skating team, we simply don't forecheck enough or put any pressure on their D

Hall has heart man. That kid got heart. He was battling all night, chasing our D, going after our forwards in neutral zone, generating chances
Leafs play up and down to their opponents. But last 3 games the boys going through the flu so it is going to happen. And it is key guys like Tavares and Willy. But we got 5 of 6 points. Hopefully more guys don't get it at practice today.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Which in this day and age of hockey would result in a multi-game suspension. I understand the sentiment, but times have changed.

I'm perfectly fine with that. Whack the odd ankle. Get the message out. Play with your stick up when guys come in.

I miss this guy a lot. Not the sticks to the face. More the leg chops or occasional pill tap. He kept his crease clear:

Last edited:
Reactions: Zacman

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada

It was obviously interference, there have been many calls in the past where this wasn't called and that's why he said it was a 50% chance.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017

First of all Arizona is not like the Ducks or even the Habs. They are a playoff team and are desperetly fighting to keep their spot or improve their standing. They are fighting as hard as us.

Secondly, we have injured players and some who are playing while fighting the flu (eg JT, WN)

Thirdly, "if Arizona did something on their PP" is a strange argument. If we did something on any of our PPs then we won in regulation. Heck if we scored in any of our other 35 regulation shots we would have won in regulation.

Yes, I would love to win 5-0 every game. It doesnt work that way.
Tampa won 2-1 OT yesterday. Just like us.
Boston lost their last game 3-1 to Detroit!!
Florida is 2-5 after their break.

It's not all rosy for other teams.

Enjoy the wins. :thumbu:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad