Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 3-2 OT!

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Kassin plays beside McDavid because they have legitimately no one else to put there without their depth in their lineup suffering. If Hyman/Engvall/Kapanen/Johnsson/etc didn't exist, I would agree with you.

Kapanen and Johnsson have generally been more effective in a depth role than in the top 6. Hyman I have in the top 6. And sure, Engvall is also a chance.
Fun fact, Clifford and Johnson's even strength numbers don't look all that dissimilar despite the fact that Clifford played on a horrible offensive team in LA.

For the record, I'm not even saying he should play in top 6. I'm just saying it's a look that could be useful at times.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Memories. So much slower game. No skating technique lessons and instructors. But it was a fight for every inch of ice kinda game. Love Smitty too but watching that video he did do a lot of Euro soccer fall down moves which I don't like. But he stands up for himself for sure. That was real wood too. Those shots did some real damage.

Yeah I hate diving. That said, I'd give a ton for a Billy Smith or Ron Hextall type. I always find it weird how people admire the calm, pacifist goalie. People were always going on about that with Carey Price. Nuts to that. I want crazy, going to mess you up. So long as they hold it together enough to not cost the team when it matters. Those guys make you think twice.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
If Kassian can play with McDavid, then Clifford can play with Matthews and Marner
Those are teams on the opposite ends of the forward depth spectrum. Sure Clifford could play there if we needed him to, we're in the luxurious position of not needing him to

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
It was obviously interference, there have been many calls in the past where this wasn't called and that's why he said it was a 50% chance.

Exactly..

In real time they called it a goal, and initially it looked like the contact happened outside the blue paint..

But you could see Campbell immediately complain and under review in slow motion it clearly showed Stepan skate getting caught on Campbell stick between his legs and pulling the goalie off balance, as he skated through the blue paint.

So there was goalie interference, however we have seen many calls more egregious than this one that the Refs have let stand, so there was uncertainty if they would overturn it as you say lots of past examples where they did not.

Refs got the call right, but it was 50/50 chance it could have gone either way based on past precedence. IMO

Last edited:

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Imagine thinking Andersen is a competent starting goalie. Starting goalies need to be consistent, Andersen is opposite of consistent...especially in key must win games. Guy is a choke artist that crumbles under pressure like in playoffs.

This has to be ***lling. No one is this cynical.

17 Clark

Mar 22, 2015
I’d like you to find a post of me saying trade away Kappy. I can guarantee you won’t.

Believe it or not, Leafs fans aren’t one giant organism.
Oh settle down getting offended If I could look back I’d find it just like everyone else does The fans are nothing but a bunch of band waggon jumpers And don’t worry I’m a fan as well probably a lot longer than you have been

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Wouldn't it though...i'd take a Jarrey or a Crawford circa Chicago dynasty as he didn't have to win them games he just couldn't lose them for the Hawks
Yeah some guys take a while to put it together but if he does, it gives us an option to move on from Andersen if he prices himself out of our cap. Really it is Andersen and Rielly that pose our next biggest challenges. At the very least around that time we gain Kessel's $1.2 back.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Imagine thinking Andersen is a competent starting goalie. Starting goalies need to be consistent, Andersen is opposite of consistent...especially in key must win games. Guy is a choke artist that crumbles under pressure like in playoffs.
I little bit of hyperbole, but essentially correct.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
If Kassian can play with McDavid, then Clifford can play with Matthews and Marner
Yeah sure, but unlike Edmonton we actually have quality alternatives. Matthews and Marner has been the most lethal duo in the league with Hyman on their side, there's no reason to change that.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Yeah I hate diving. That said, I'd give a ton for a Billy Smith or Ron Hextall type. I always find it weird how people admire the calm, pacifist goalie. People were always going on about that with Carey Price. Nuts to that. I want crazy, going to mess you up. So long as they hold it together enough to not cost the team when it matters. Those guys make you think twice.
Ed Belfour was the most entertaining goalie I ever watched for this exact reason.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan

Okay, that's fair reasoning, I don't agree, but, good point.

I think our situation is different than Oilers, but, maybe it could work, I'm sure they'd grow an inch or two with Clifford beside them, though Matty doesn't get pushed around much - just normal for a big guy, it would give Marner more space maybe.

56 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
how is that post correct???? the guy literally started 66 games in back to back years for 100pts, wow how is that remotely correct he is not a starter?
Freddie din't get those points by himself. He had a team in front of him that scored a lot of goals.

Freddie does have a well documented track record of inconsistency and we all know his foibles in game sevens.

I'm not sold on him at all. I don't think he's a pressure guy.

DirkStraun

Aug 9, 2015
67 posts in 5 years??? Go back to sleep!
Yeah I don't need to post on here all the time as I have a life. Not like you talking crap on other teams boards. You must live a nice fulfilling life!! Take care and go back to the Sens board.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
Freddie din't get those points by himself. He had a team in front of him that scored a lot of goals.

Freddie does have a well documented track record of inconsistency and we all know his foibles in game sevens.

I'm not sold on him at all. I don't think he's a pressure guy.
well no goalie gets those points by himself, but they are there to start games and get wins like he has done some nights he stood on his head and got us wins thats what starters do and back to back 100 point seasons with 66 starts does that not equal a starter, you are simply wrong about that., and the playoffs do you watch Boston play are they just a crap team or something? team is dominate take the homer glasses off and see what kind of team they have over there....

56 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
well no goalie gets those points by himself, but they are there to start games and get wins like he has done some nights he stood on his head and got us wins thats what starters do and back to back 100 point seasons with 66 starts does that not equal a starter, you are simply wrong about that., and the playoffs do you watch Boston play are they just a crap team or something? team is dominate take the homer glasses off and see what kind of team they have over there....
I didn't say he's not a starter he obviously has been, However, he's a middle of the road starter that doesn't perform well under pressure.

When his contract is up at the end of next year they should move on from him.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
I didn't say he's not a starter he obviously has been, However, he's a middle of the road starter that doesn't perform well under pressure.

When his contract is up at the end of next year they should move on from him.
great will see what what happens goalies are hard to come by I like Freddie he has been solid for us considering the D we have had infront of him for years, and to say he has not performed in Game 7's that can be argued as well, As Boston is a top tier team that came one win away from a cup a year ago...

Thqre

Nov 7, 2019
Yeah sure, but unlike Edmonton we actually have quality alternatives. Matthews and Marner has been the most lethal duo in the league with Hyman on their side, there's no reason to change that.

Hyman can play on any line and make the line better. I'd like to see if Clifford is more effective on a line with Matthews and Marner. If Clifford works, I'd keep Hyman on the line with Tavares or move him to the kick start the third line.

Beaumaris

May 21, 2015
Billy Smith is an old timer, Islanders goalie who got the first goal if I recall. Mike Smith of the Oilers is a bit old but probably as good as Campbell right now, maybe better, but he is trending the wrong way.
Trending the wrong way,like Andersen?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->