Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 3-2 OT!

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Stepan pushed his way into Campbell. Its not a debateable call at all.

Sidenote - have we had a coaches challenge sincd Babs got fired? It seemed like Babs challenged and lost a call once a week.

Coaches challenges in general have gone way down since it's now a penalty and not just losing a timeout. It's why I kind of laugh when announcers comment on coaches not saving timeouts. Like no shiat, before they didn't use them so they could challenge.

It's like they're oblivious to cause and effect and just need to fill space with comments that make no sense if you put even the smallest amount of critical thinking to.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Early to say that but don't forget Jack Campell was taken 11th overall in his draft year, the guy isn't a scrub as a goalie...he had a tough time getting his career on track so far in the NHL...If he figures it out in TO then we may have an absolute steal...When he is on he is a legit #1 in this league...I followed him through junior and the WJC's he's really really good
I never said he was a scrub, but I highly doubt he will accomplish near as much as Andersen in his career. Draft pedigree means basically nothing for a goalie anyway, especially from a draft 10 years ago.

Reactions: JayfromNB1219

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
I never said he was a scrub, but I highly doubt he will accomplish near as much as Andersen in his career. Draft pedigree means basically nothing for a goalie anyway, especially from a draft 10 years ago.

Meh I always look at it as "the skill is there" it's just finding the right fit or the right motivation to bring it back out regardless of how long ago his draft year was

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I'm perfectly fine with that. Whack the odd ankle. Get the message out. Play with your stick up when guys come in.

I miss this guy a lot. Not the sticks to the face. More the leg chops or occasional pill tap. He kept his crease clear:

Memories. So much slower game. No skating technique lessons and instructors. But it was a fight for every inch of ice kinda game. Love Smitty too but watching that video he did do a lot of Euro soccer fall down moves which I don't like. But he stands up for himself for sure. That was real wood too. Those shots did some real damage.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
If Seattle isn't allowed to take him because he doesn't have a contract for the following season, it doesn't matter if he's protected. The expansion draft is before the entry draft, leaving time to extend after the expansion draft, before he hits free agency, if that's the route we wanted to go down.
That's not how it works, they can pick UFA's.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I was just going off the expansion draft rules that were posted.
I think you misread it. Maybe the RFA goalie bit got you confused?

Seattle must choose a minimum of 20 players under contract for the 2021-22 regular season and those with an aggregate Expansion Draft value that is between 60-100 percent of the prior season's upper limit for the salary cap. Seattle cannot buy out players chosen in the Expansion Draft earlier than the summer following its first season.
Current NHL teams can protect seven forwards, three defensemen and one goalie, or eight skaters (forwards/defensemen) and one goalie, under the following conditions.
* All players with no movement clauses at the time of the draft, and who decline to waive those clauses, must be protected and will be counted toward their team's applicable protection limits.
* All first- and second-year NHL players, and all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward protection limits.
In addition, all NHL teams must meet the following minimum requirements regarding players exposed for selection in the draft:
* One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played in at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons.
* Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2021-22 and b) played at least 40 NHL games the prior season or played in at least 70 NHL games in the prior two seasons.
* One goalie who is under contract in 2021-22 or will be a restricted free agent at the end of his current contract immediately prior to 2021-22. If a team elects to make a restricted free agent goalie available to meet this requirement, that goalie must have received his qualifying offer prior to the submission of the team's protected list.
* Players with potential career-ending injuries who have missed more than the previous 60 consecutive games (or who otherwise have been confirmed to have a career-threatening injury) may not be used to satisfy a team's player exposure requirements unless approval is received from the NHL. Such players also may be deemed exempt from selection.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I think you misread it. Maybe the RFA goalie bit got you confused?
No, it was based on what ULF posted earlier. I guess there's a certain number of players under contract that have to be taken, to ensure a team is able to be made, but not all taken players have to be under contract.

Reactions: BlueBaron

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I attended the Oilers game last night,and Smith looked teriffic.
We should have found a way to sign him.
Billy Smith is an old timer, Islanders goalie who got the first goal if I recall. Mike Smith of the Oilers is a bit old but probably as good as Campbell right now, maybe better, but he is trending the wrong way.

landeskog11

Jan 14, 2012
as soon as they(zona) scored in ot i changed the channel, then I saw CP24 later and saw the score and was thinking they got it wrong lol.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
not sure if it's been mentioned, but Dermott looked really good again last night and was covering for a lot of Barrie mistakes. It feels like he's been a lot more solid since getting moved up the lineup

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
You people are a joke One minute straight away kappy next T-shirt Hero can you make your mind up we’re very lucky to be the bad team coming off a second night of overtime that’s a reality check

I’d like you to find a post of me saying trade away Kappy. I can guarantee you won’t.

Believe it or not, Leafs fans aren’t one giant organism.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
That's such a Kapanen goal. Good to get the two points.

The Matthews line didn't work but with Nylander quite obviously far from 100%, it's a bit early to judge. They also tended to play far apart, which left them isolated. Would like to see more movement.

Yeah I think that line can work, but Nylander has to be fully healthy to run the experiment.

Reactions: Nithoniniel

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I’m a fan of the Kerfoot - Tavares - Hyman line, but I really don’t think the Nylander - Matthews - Marner will work, too many puck carriers, no retrievers.

Hyman is so valuable.

On another note, I thought Aberg looked good with his limited TOI.

I think Timashov may be on the way out, Goat has been out a bit too, I like the C depth he offers but really needs to bring his energy and physicality more consistently.
No idea if a NMM line works in the long run but there is almost zero sample data to make an assessment. If it does work, it would be epic IMO. It would open up huge space with Tavares's line beyond the difficulty top defenders would have containing such a possession (real puck holding) strong line. I'd be interested to see the experiment continue.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I'm not sure I see the upside of putting both Nylander and Marner with Matthews. Too many guys who all want the puck, and no one for Tavares to play with who is at his level.
Nylander should go back with Tavares as far as I am concerned. I have to assume the only reason this was done was because they didn't want 2 people who just had flu on 1 line.
I say put Hyman back with Matthews and Marner

Reactions: Palio and LeafsRus

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
why not give bracco or even agostino a shot at playing over aberg?

Looking at their points, I'm guessing it was going to be one of those three. Aberg leads the team in points right now so I'm guessing that's why? I would've called up Agostino tbh.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Absolutely. He conveys much more confidence and it looks like it’s translating throughout the club.

Three games, five out of a possible six points. That’s all you can ask from a backup. It will be interesting to see what happens once our forwards resume form.

Something to build out from that’s for sure.
Campbell played 3 games and got 5 pts, while Hutch got 9pts and played 15 games.
I read somewhere or someone made a comment that the backup goalie on average as many pts as games. In a way, Hutch is 6 pts below AVG, if Leafs got those 6 pts, they will be up there with TB. That’s only average, good playoff teams backup will give them a few more pts.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
If Kassian can play with McDavid, then Clifford can play with Matthews and Marner

Kassin plays beside McDavid because they have legitimately no one else to put there without their depth in their lineup suffering. If Hyman/Engvall/Kapanen/Johnsson/etc didn't exist, I would agree with you.

Reactions: Rogie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad