Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 2-1 in OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Good win for the Leafs.

Matthews is a monster, and JT & Mitch figured it out just in time for OT. Freddy - what a game.

Barrie still looks so damn lost and Ceci....like, I'd be okay with sending him down at this point for Liljegren. It's Gardiner's mistakes at twice the frequency without any of his upside.

Anyway, enough complaining....great win!
Ceci was robbed by the scorekeeper tonight.

Missing out on the assist he should have had on that tape-to-tape pass to Pacioretty passing by a wide open net might cause him to miss a performance bonus for points, if he has one.

Life sucks that way.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Seeing lots of love for Matthews - I thought he was pretty average tonight with the exception of a couple great shifts. Still waiting for all the big boys to wake up.

I am a little surprised by the love for Matthews for tonight's game myself. I am a pretty huge Matthews fan. Yes, he scored, but I have long criticized Laine for not doing much except scoring. I thought that he had a couple good shifts, but looked unengaged most of the time - especially when he didn't have the puck (which seems to be the case every game for weeks). If you look at the shift where the Leafs' were scored on - from the faceoff in the Leafs' zone until Vegas scored - 22 seconds elapsed. I don't know what Matthews was doing in that time - I replayed the shift to try to figure it out, but I still don't know. The D - specifically Ceci - have been criticized for the goal against, but the Leafs' were essentially short handed for that 22 seconds, but without the ability to fire the puck down the ice without it being icing, and while probably assuming that the big player very slowly coasting around was going to pick up his man...or at least someone...anyone...or do something...or anything.

Last edited:

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I am a little surprised by the love for Matthews for tonight's game myself. I am a pretty huge Matthews fan. Yes, he scored, but I have long criticized Laine for not doing much except scoring. I thought that he had a couple good shifts, but looked unengaged most of the time - especially when he didn't have the puck (which seems to be the case every game for weeks). If you look at the shift where the Leafs' were scored on - from the faceoff in the Leafs' zone until Vegas scored - 22 seconds elapsed. I don't know what Matthews was doing in that time - I replayed the shift to try to figure it out, but I still don't know. The D - specifically Ceci - have been criticized for the goal against, but the Leafs' were essentially short handed for that 22 seconds, but without the ability to fire the puck down the ice without it being icing, and while probably assuming that the big player very slowly coasting around was going to pick up their man...or at least someone...anyone...or do something...or anything.
Matthews is kind of gliding around towards the point then back towards the net as the puck gets moved low. He definitely wasnt showing much hustle.

Watching the puck pursuit on other teams vs the leafs is pretty sad.

Reactions: biotk

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
I noticed that. I also notice the actually had sense enough to pick on the defender without the stick .....which really really surprised me.
goes to show you the situational awareness of high iq players; you can tell how the system on pp and on 5 on 5 is stifling their creativity; remember a guy with one of the greatest minds in hockey history and hands of gold could only score up to 97 pts for this coach. He doesn't want guys getting gaudy numbers because then he cant be the star.

Last edited:
Reactions: saffronleaf

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
both times we played against them when we were playing 2nd game of a back to back while montreal was rested

out of the 4 meetings against the scabs this season 3 of them have Leafs playing their 2nd game of the back to back against toilet seats while they are rested; that is some BS scheduling against divisional rivals
Brian Lawton was talking tonight about how bad Minny schedule was and wondered why management would allow them to play a large disparity (something like 23 of 34) road games to home games to start the season.
He said when he was in management they quite often tweak change the original schedule.

All this to say...why did Dubas approve this schedule? What concession did they get? Are the last 40 games an easier schedule in their minds. Who knows maybe the first schedule they got was far worse?

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
First three game winning streak of the season! Going into that pesky back-to-back on a good note.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Brian Lawton was talking tonight about how bad Minny schedule was and wondered why management would allow them to play a large disparity (something like 23 of 34) road games to home games to start the season.
He said when he was in management they quite often tweak change the original schedule.

All this to say...why did Dubas approve this schedule? What concession did they get? Are the last 40 games an easier schedule in their minds. Who knows maybe the first schedule they got was far worse?

Off all the criticisms of Dubas, this is the dumbest. Well done.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
after all the hype with this team, it just hasn't panned out. Just another year of disappointment from these young, lazy, entitled players who won't play for their coach or their fans. Either a few of them have to go, or the coach has to go - but somebody has to---

--oh wait --- we won tonight???

this team is really starting to gel! I'm liking what I'm seeing from our top stars, they're showing their worth more and more every night. Our top guns are starting to deliver at the right times. Looks like we have some exciting hockey ahead and if they keep this up, the playoffs are a guarantee and maybe even a few rounds this time!

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I do, and so did some buddies at work I showed it to.

Thanks for giving us all a good laugh!

Why do you and the gals you work with think they approved the three games against Montreal? Why did Minny approve their schedule? Do y’all think they made some other concessions?

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
Only a couple of shady observations

anyone noticing some trends going on

⬇️
Goat A lot
Moore a bit
Tima a lot
Shore always
Soup A bit